Training Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

wasn't it Mansell? Although I reckon Galluci gets the other. Mid season draft is a bit late in the year. I know Pickett did well but its emergency option only. Like a Houli retirement.
The mid season draft could be extremely important to have a pick in this year. There were many kids who did not have an opportunity to show off their talents at TAC level that will possibly do so by that time. Usually a number of kids come through late and can even end top 10 picks in the draft. So I would be very happy to keep at least a pick available for that reason. Galluci could be VFL contracted and given the mid season spot provided he shows enough or we could draft a kid who dominates, possibly a gun talent.

The mid season draft could be extremely important to have a pick in this year. There were many kids who did not have an opportunity to show off their talents at TAC level that will possibly do so by that time. Usually a number of kids come through late and can even end top 10 picks in the draft. So I would be very happy to keep at least a pick available for that reason. Galluci could be VFL contracted and given the mid season spot provided he shows enough or we could draft a kid who dominates, possibly a gun talent.
I don’t think the club has said anything yet but I reckon we’ll leave a spot for the mid season draft.
I think we have a very balanced list and most based covered so it makes sense to have a look what’s out there

I'll answer with respect to the Yellows as they were the bulk of our AFL team.

Kicking 23.8 is pretty accurate. The only set shot within the 'vee' I can remember being missed was Lynch in the first quarter from about 40 out on a 45 degree angle. The Yellows had a run of behinds late in the 2nd qtr but they were mostly loose ball snaps. The ball was locked in the Yellows' forward 50 so there were more snap chances than during the 1st or 3rd qtrs. The Yellows couldn't miss in the 3rd qtr. They kicked 11 straight goals.

The speed of ball movement meant the Yellows found a marking target inside 50 regularly. There were very few stagnant plays with forced kicks down the line. Remember Dusty not being happy when someone kicked down the line rather than switch the play. Most of the time it was a 30m kick, mark, play on immediately to hit up the next teammate. No one stopped and propped. Too early to judge if the man on the mark rule makes this easier. More often than not the ball coming out of defence was switched to the fat side or the Yellows had a lead up target in the centre square/corridor and linked up through the centre of the ground (The Reds were also trying to switch but they were slower, went wider and lacked the cohesion to cut through the Yellows). Once inside 50, if the forward with the ball was by the boundary then the Yellow forwards would quickly pass to another forward closer or in a better shot position. Obviously that's easier to do against an inexperienced Reds/VFL side than another more experienced top AFL side.
Thank you for the write up! I heard that we were working on our delivery inside 50 over the summer so I’m pleased to see that it’s had such an effect on our team and that you noticed it the accuracy was due to our ball movement (despite it being against a VFL side as you said of course).

a wise man once said beware of the ides of March
now that was over 2000 years ago
in the modern context , I think you can expand that to the month of Feb as well

its great we are cruising along and our injury toll is low

but things can unravel quickly when the season proper starts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a wise man once said beware of the ides of March
now that was over 2000 years ago
in the modern context , I think you can expand that to the month of Feb as well

its great we are cruising along and our injury toll is low

but things can unravel quickly when the season proper starts
2019, were pretty much written off after a string of injuries but as we know what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and our gameplan with the right soldiers justs kept getting the job done.

Having said this and it applies to all clubs but a couple of elite soldiers go down at the wrong time and the comp being so even will make it pretty tough so the luck element for injuries in regards to who and when remains quite high.

We have had luck on our side in recent years in this regard as generally the injuries to key personnel have occurred early in the season resulting in these players being available toward the pointy end of the season. We have also seen that we have been able to fill vacancies pretty well as required so our list quality does allow us to cover things a little better than most teams.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if 21 is the year you see a lot of "over agers" in the TAC cup hoping to be picked up in the mid season draft.

2019, were pretty much written off after a string of injuries but as we know what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and our gameplan with the right soldiers justs kept getting the job done.

Having said this and it applies to all clubs but a couple of elite soldiers go down at the wrong time and the comp being so even will make it pretty tough so the luck element for injuries in regards to who and when remains quite high.

We have had luck on our side in recent years in this regard as generally the injuries to key personnel have occurred early in the season resulting in these players being available toward the pointy end of the season. We have also seen that we have been able to fill vacancies pretty well as required so our list quality does allow us to cover things a little better than most teams.

I agree we’ve had our best team usually when it matters bar a few like Rance and Soldo. But I don’t think it’s just luck, we would have to be the most ultra cautious team with injuries in the comp.

Lynch pulled out of a huge final.
Cotch pulled out from must win H&A games
Prestia and Nank both out a little bit longer to be cautious.

Our guys are 100% when they come back into the side and it usually shows with how quick they hit the ground running.

What pick would we have in the mid season draft, 18 ? Odds are slim we'd get a great choice with such a low pick and the good overagers would be gone you'd think. It will be interesting to see if we pick someone already training with us. When is the cut off for those kids ?

Lol these player interviews are so worthless and stale.

He honestly just said they went on a camp together and it was good lol
Might be stale & boring to us.
But for a kid seeing/listening to their fav player it'll be different.

History photo for the day.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, visiting Melbourne in 1920, at right.
He attended the VFL Grand Final.
We won!
A sports fanatic, Doyle said Australian football was the most spectacular football code.
(Research article at Australian football encyclopaedia.)
Doyle was the pioneer of forensic crime fiction, creating Sherlock Holmes.
He also wrote The Lost World, the precursor to Jurassic Park, about the discovery of dinosaurs.
He enjoyed the drop punt, said it could be incorporated into rugby, he was proved correct.
His wife thought the free kick was a good rule because it penalised manhandling of the player.
They were hosted by Harrison at the VFL Grand Final, who reportedly introduced the bounce.
IMG_20210212_222858_830.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back