M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Grand Finals are so bloody hard to win, look at Geelong since 2011, they have been an almost continual top 4 side and have yet to win another one post 2011, all we can do is consistently put ourselves in a position to have a shot at a flag come September like we have the last 2 seasons and then hopefully things align for us. Who knows what will happen, we could win 3 of the next 5 flags or we might win zero... as Bill Hicks used to say- life(/footy) is like a rollercoaster, it has its ups and downs, just enjoy the ride.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Grand Finals are so bloody hard to win, look at Geelong since 2011, they have been an almost continual top 4 side and have yet to win another one post 2011, all we can do is consistently put ourselves in a position to have a shot at a flag come September like we have the last 2 seasons and then hopefully things align for us. Who knows what will happen, we could win 3 of the next 5 flags or we might win zero... as Bill Hicks used to say- life(/footy) is like a rollercoaster, it has its ups and downs, just enjoy the ride.
This is so true. Supporters should be so glad we are a top 8 side recently top 4
It was not so many years ago we were easy-beats with a losing margin of around 120 points in one season
Being in a non AFL state it is so important for the Club to stay in the 8 for the next 4 years. So that would be 6 years in total.
This give the club a greater chance to retain/increase sponsors, increase membership & get better prime time share of games on FTA.
Maybe even get more media attention along the way but i won't hold my breath for that happening
Hopefully the next step is making a GF but if not being completive and especially winning at home is a priority.
We have a good list not only in talent but in age spread
Can't wait for season to start. Hopefully Covid won't spoil the season like last year.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the report, it's only a niggle. The same with cockatoo, so if one is out then the other has to be as well.

Not winning a premiership in a premiership window is disappointing. Look at GWS. If we don't capitalise soon, then our window will be over. And the way we went out against Geelong was disappointing.

We were two players short of being genuine contenders last year. A dynamic forward to relieve Hipwood and another A grade mid. We were never a genuine flag contender, we achieved what we should have. No more no less. That’s not disappointing. We’ve addressed the KPF so that takes us one step closer. Rayner/McCarthy/Cockatoo may yet be the answer to the second. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I only really see both Geelong and Richmond as being ahead of us at the moment.
As long as we continue to get closer to them and stay ahead of the teams behind that are close or behind us then I will be happy.
After missing out on a Brisbane Grand Final last year, how good would it be, to go to the G and beat a Big Victorian team at the Home of Footy in a Grand Final?
Would be a far greater achievement than winning last year IMO.
A win there early in the year would be great to get that hoodoo off the back.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I only really see both Geelong and Richmond as being ahead of us at the moment.
As long as we continue to get closer to them and stay ahead of the teams behind that are close or behind us then I will be happy.
After missing out on a Brisbane Grand Final last year, how good would it be, to go to the G and beat a Big Victorian team at the Home of Footy in a Grand Final?
Would be a far greater achievement than winning last year IMO.
A win there early in the year would be great to get that hoodoo off the back.
Port Adelaide closing fast on us IMO.... although it is an interesting discussion re who is in a better position to contend for flags for longer in regards to ours and Ports ability to replace good to elite senior players over the next few years.

Players 30 years of age and over >

Port Adelaide- Robbie Gray(32), Travis Boak(32), Tom Rockliff(30), Hamish Hartlett(30), Charlie Dixon(30), Tom Jonas(30).

Lions- Grant Birchall(33), Dayne Zorko(32), Daniel Rich(30), Mitch Robinson(30).

In my albeit biased position we are in the better position long term, Birchall and Robinson eminently replaceable from within, I'm also confident we already have players on the list who could play to some degree Zorko and Rich's role eg. Bailey/Prior/Robertson. We will need an elite ball user out of the back if Birchall and Rich retire in quick succession though, hopefully Prior is it.

Gray and Boak retiring would leave massive holes for Port.

Port Adelaide closing fast on us IMO.... although it is an interesting discussion re who is in a better position to contend for flags for longer in regards to ours and Ports ability to replace good to elite senior players over the next few years.

Port Adelaide- Robbie Gray(32), Travis Boak(32), Tom Rockliff(30), Hamish Hartlett(30), Charlie Dixon(30), Tom Jonas(30).

Lions- Grant Birchall(33), Dayne Zorko(32), Daniel Rich(30), Mitch Robinson(30).

In my albeit biased position we are in the better position long term, Birchall and Robinson eminently replaceable from within, I'm also confident we already have players on the list who could play to some degree Zorko and Rich's role eg. Bailey/Prior/Robertson. We will need an elite ball user out of the back if Birchall and Rich retire in quick succession though, hopefully Prior is it.

I agree that Port are right there with us but I think their window is a little shorter than ours.
But they could bounce back pretty quick with their talented youth coming through.
Our Main keys are younger than theirs which could help to keep us up there for longer.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Port have drafted a lot of X factor the last couple of years, but no genuine inside mids apart from SPP.

They’re missing three young players, a quality inside mid, a genuine KPF and genuine KPD. Otherwise they pretty much have every other position covered.

I expect Rozee and Duursma to play more on ball as they mature, but neither are extractors.

They have a Burgoyne father son this year, who will add to their X factor.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There seems to be a lot of expectation being foisted upon Rayner that he's going to be an impactful mid/forward in the Martin mould and it's going to be this year.

There's nothing I've seen that he can produce that standard consistently at this juncture even if we do see it two or three times a game and some soft practice matches to me aren't necessarily indicative.

Just trying to keep expectations in check so people don't dump on him if he continues to be a useful player.

No 1 draft pick can be a curse. He's going to be a good player . Let's be happy if he achieves that consistently.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There seems to be a lot of expectation being foisted upon Rayner that he's going to be an impactful mid/forward in the Martin mould and it's going to be this year.

There's nothing I've seen that he can produce that standard consistently at this juncture even if we do see it two or three times a game and some soft practice matches to me aren't necessarily indicative.

Just trying to keep expectations in check so people don't dump on him if he continues to be a useful player.

No 1 draft pick can be a curse. He's going to be a good player . Let's be happy if he achieves that consistently.

Kudos for the use of the word 'foisted'

Thought you made a word up there for a second

Trying to keep a lid on it, I think this year he'll be a bit of a Martin / Dangerfield / Petracca combo :D :D

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port have drafted a lot of X factor the last couple of years, but no genuine inside mids apart from SPP.

They’re missing three young players, a quality inside mid, a genuine KPF and genuine KPD. Otherwise they pretty much have every other position covered.

I expect Rozee and Duursma to play more on ball as they mature, but neither are extractors.

They have a Burgoyne father son this year, who will add to their X factor.

they have plans to turn L Jones into an inside mid. He is a beast!!! They also have mead coming through who will be decent

wines is also only 26. One of the best inside guys when going

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
When I’m looking at our older players and the younger players coming through who might replace them, my view is;

Prior is potentially a replacement for Birchall.

Cockatoo is potentially a replacement for Zorko.

Tom Berry might be viewed as a like for like replacement for Mitch Robinson, but Tom is not a winger.

Harry Sharp is the only genuine winger we’ve drafted recently, so long term, he may be the eventual successor to Mitch’s wing position.

We don’t genuinely have a replacement for Dan Rich on the list yet.

Robertson is potentially a replacement for Lyons, but he’s a better defensive runner than Lyons.

Blake Coleman is potentially a replacement for McCarthy.

And I’m hesitant to say it, but Tom Joyce is probably the closest replacement to Neale on our list.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
they have plans to turn L Jones into an inside mid. He is a beast!!! They also have mead coming through who will be decent

wines is also only 26. One of the best inside guys when going
I forgot long term Jones is probably an inside mid. I keep thinking of him as a Hurn type defender.

I think Charlie liked the idea of being the big dog. Now that Joe is here making it 3 genuine talls, Charlie might have to adapt his game to a more Front and Centre, roving forward. And could still kick plenty of goals.
Hopefully we don’t become too Joe centric, but we shouldn’t because on paper it is a pretty potent looking forward line.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/551400

Last edited:

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Agree about Port my only concern with our list at the moment, and into the future. is a genuine replacement if the Big O does a knee round 1 or 22.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Agree about Port my only concern with our list at the moment, and into the future. is a genuine replacement if the Big O does a knee round 1 or 22.
Yes, I have very little confidence that Archie would be an adequate replacement for Big O if the worst did happen, besides Archie we have very raw rucks in an 18 year old Henry Smith and a more 2nd ruck/fwd in Tom Fullarton, no way would we want Joe Daniher playing too much time in the ruck and the other option would be Ballenden who IMO is nowhere near physical enough to play 1st ruck.

Big O please stay healthy🤞🤞🤞.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, I have very little confidence that Archie would be an adequate replacement for Big O if the worst did happen, besides Archie we have very raw rucks in an 18 year old Henry Smith and a more 2nd ruck/fwd in Tom Fullarton, no way would we want Joe Daniher playing too much time in the ruck and the other option would be Ballenden who IMO is nowhere near physical enough to play 1st ruck.

Big O please stay healthy🤞🤞🤞.
I didn't see last intraclub, how did Archie go? I thought he looked competitive enough the previous one

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I didn't see last intraclub, how did Archie go? I thought he looked competitive enough the previous one
2021 will be Archie's 8th year on our list for a grand total of 16 games and a pretty uninspiring footy resume, I hope I'm wrong about him but I wont be holding my breath expecting a breakout year.

Being competitive in an intra club and showing a few good glimpses over 16 games/7 years does not lead me to be bullish on his future prospects.

Birchall and Robbo (😔) will be gone at the end next of this year.

I reckon rich has a few years left, not so confident on Zorko. Might become a forward pocket if the soft tissue niggles don’t escalate.

I think Charlie liked the idea of being the big dog. Now that Joe is here making it 3 genuine talls, Charlie might have to adapt his game to a more Front and Centre, roving forward. And could still kick plenty of goals.
Hopefully we don’t become too Joe centric, but we shouldn’t because on paper it is a pretty potent looking forward line.

Charlie Cameron will play in the Ackerman type role. He’ll cruise around and scare the hell out of the opposition and turn mm wide mistakes of the opposition in goals.

Can’t wait to see the Charlie magic this year.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On this point about Charlie.
We now have a very potent forward line.
My feeling is it maybe too potent for overall team balance. Crazy thought i know.
This is why i think Keidean Coleman should make our best 22. He replaces Robbo but not position wise.
Charlie & McCarthy could be used more on the wing/midfield in my opinion. That gives McCluggage/McCarthy/Bailey more center & on ball mid minutes
With a main rotating midfield seven (5 on field 2 on bench rotating mid/fwd) of Neale, Lyons, Berry, Rayner, Bailey, McCluggage, McCarthy.
Ruck is Oscar with Daniher the 2nd ruck.
Others to help out being Zorko more forward than mid & AhChee more defense than mid

Charlie kicked 31 goals last year in a 19 game season
I think he can still kick 30+ goals in a full season playing more wing time. Charlie playing irregular wing % time is a nightmare matchup for opposition coaches
This change for Charlie also keeps him in the play. He goes missing up forward at times and can also get a bit frustrated during these periods.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon rich has a few years left, not so confident on Zorko. Might become a forward pocket if the soft tissue niggles don’t escalate.
Remember we'll have two first round picks this year, and I reckon one of them will be used to draft the next Daniel Rich. Plenty of sweet kicks in this year's draft. Maybe the next Zorko too.

Put too much time into the talls and the likes of Charlie and Linc will tear them apart. Charlie i think will play more minutes up the ground. Had a few center bounce during the intraclub.

We do need to keep expectations on Rayner, but there hasn't been this much substance to a players improvement in a long time. Probably that off season where Starc got a big wrap. He has always shown he can play midfield and have an impact, he just hasn't had the time or the fitness to do it. He is also a very smart player forward of the ball, and I think will still kick goals whilst playing mid. Probably more goals as he won't be trying to play as a marking option.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember we'll have two first round picks this year, and I reckon one of them will be used to draft the next Daniel Rich. Plenty of sweet kicks in this year's draft. Maybe the next Zorko too.
Be interesting to see if we use the picks for drafting some young talent or a trade.
It may depend on how we go this year and if any academy prospects stand out by years end

Back