hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
To be fair, though - we sling a ludicrous amount of sh*t on Reid here. I think he's mostly done a good job in rebuilding our list post 2017, with some difficult decisions.
He laid out some poor contracts, not all his fault but he is the main man.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
5 years for Sloane isn't looking good....
Not now, at the time it was acceptable as a "good news" story we needed, and we figured he'd bounce back from injury. Has had one after another since though.

There's worse things

To be fair, though - we sling a ludicrous amount of sh*t on Reid here. I think he's mostly done a good job in rebuilding our list post 2017, with some difficult decisions.
Reid has done some good things, but also some ordinary ones... if you are analysing his performance without rose coloured glasses.

Has usually got good value for players traded out.

Gibbs deal was overs as most of us said at the time.

Questionable longer term contracts for some older players.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reid has done some good things, but also some ordinary ones... if you are analysing his performance without rose coloured glasses.

Has usually got good value for players traded out.

Gibbs deal was overs as most of us said at the time.

Questionable longer term contracts for some older players.
Re the Gibbs deal..I seem to recall that we made sure that deal was done before the Cameron deal where we extracted pick 12 from Brisbane for him. The fear was that if we had done that deal before the Gibbs one, then Carlton would have been demanding picks 10 & 12 for Gibbs - maybe Reid deserves some credit for orchestrating that sequence

Re the Gibbs deal..I seem to recall that we made sure that deal was done before the Cameron deal where we extracted pick 12 from Brisbane for him. The fear was that if we had done that deal before the Gibbs one, then Carlton would have been demanding picks 10 & 12 for Gibbs - maybe Reid deserves some credit for orchestrating that sequence
It was still a poor deal regardless.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't use 2x 1st rounders would be a start.

It's the past now... but let's not kid ourselves as we paid overs.
It was a high price but if he is going to cop it in the neck for the deal, if he said no to 2 x 1sts then i think SOS says no deal and gibbs does not become a crow. The senior management were also very keen to make sure a deal was done so i am not sure reid can take all the blame

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was a high price but if he is going to cop it in the neck for the deal, if he said no to 2 x 1sts then i think SOS says no deal and gibbs does not become a crow. The senior management were also very keen to make sure a deal was done so i am not sure reid can take all the blame
Agree. The Gibbs trade, or 5 year deal to Sloane, come from above Reid’s head. He’s just instructed to get it done.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Don't use 2x 1st rounders would be a start.

It's the past now... but let's not kid ourselves as we paid overs.
See, that's the thing.

He gave up a very late first for a very early second in a better draft. Then traded that second for TWO seconds.

Im not going to argue Gibbs is a good deal, but I think we criticise it more than it deserves.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just read that Cornes article where he was taking pot shots at the Crows for their proposed 5% salary cut (surprise surprise). But he did mention that he's been told that there are 2 Victorian clubs with 5 year deals on the table for Rory Laird.

Now normally i'd dispel that as straight up Fireman Kane BS, but TBH this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Pending it having a slither of truth to it, has anyone heard of which clubs may be circling?

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Sloane 5 year deal is not as bad as everyone makes out. He re-signed with us when the media/camp pile on was in full effect. He'll be around until 2023 to work with the squad and bring the young ones through, and then either retire, go elsewhere, or play year-by-year.

He is a heart and soul player, the sort you build a culture around (along with Tex, Talia, Smith, etc). Guys like Sholl, Pedlar would work harder at training, walk taller, and feel prouder at a club like ours knowing Sloane had their backs, rather than him chasing an extra year in Melbourne.

Even if his on-field output falls below expectations, his off-field contribution should not be under-stated.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I just read that Cornes article where he was taking pot shots at the Crows for their proposed 5% salary cut (surprise surprise). But he did mention that he's been told that there are 2 Victorian clubs with 5 year deals on the table for Rory Laird.

Now normally i'd dispel that as straight up Fireman Kane BS, but TBH this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Pending it having a slither of truth to it, has anyone heard of which clubs may be circling?
He's a FA, same with Crouch clubs know the way to get a FA out of a club is to give them a long deal. We won't get Laird on a 3 year deal, just have to hope he does us a favour and goes for a 4 year deal if he does stay.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
He's a FA, same with Crouch clubs know the way to get a FA out of a club is to give them a long deal. We won't get Laird on a 3 year deal, just have to hope he does us a favour and goes for a 4 year deal if he does stay.

The drafting of Pedlar and Berry gives me the impression we are preparing for life after M Crouch.

Laird? Not so sure.

The drafting of Pedlar and Berry gives me the impression we are preparing for life after M Crouch.

Laird? Not so sure.

Also, our inside group was absolute garbage in 2020...

Mind you, it is quite possible we are planning for life without Matt Crouch, especially if Nicks wants a more flexible set up then what Matt could do (seeing he is only a midfielder). After all, it doesn't make that much sense to retain both Crouch and Laird after this year if both are primarily midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back