Trojan90

All Australian
May 7, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I also absolutely despise the need for every ball to be thrown back to the keeper. Especially balls that go to mid off/mid on/cover etc. I see no upside from it and I only see a bad throw going for overthrows. Just hold onto it, or throw it to whoever is shining it.

At club level I absolutely hate when people don't back up throws properly. Firstly blokes on the boundary who don't come in 20m if a throw is coming in opposite to them but mainly the one where the person backing up stands about 4m from the stumps which gives them absolutely no chance to stop a ball that goes past the keeper/bowler. Stand 20-30m back, no one is taking an overthrow if the ball ends up between the stumps and you.

The throwing to the keeper I feel is an intensity thing.

Fielders not backing up used to drive me nuts as a dodgy keeper. I remember when I used to captain a lower grade team of mostly teenagers, i would drill this into them. Someone backing up both ends no matter where you are in the field, back up the guys backing up if possible. Every fielder should make them self useful every ball. It's a rare situation in this team sport where all 11 players can actually play as a team.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
the steve smith saga (aka exaggeration). media are pumping it up. Was smith like this when he debuted? Or has it been something he's developed which as more attention made of it, continued to up the ante?

chicken-egg.

If you see footage of his century against England in Perth 2013-14, and again in Sydney in the same series, he just batted normally. I'm not sure where the exaggerated movements came from.

If you see footage of his century against England in Perth 2013-14, and again in Sydney in the same series, he just batted normally. I'm not sure where the exaggerated movements came from.
I guess like in life things change, people change and evolve. It is what it is, skeptics may believe that he's seen the attention its attracted in the media and is running with it.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I guess like in life things change, people change and evolve. It is what it is, skeptics may believe that he's seen the attention its attracted in the media and is running with it.

I just think if he's making runs, he can do what he damned well pleases. If he's not making runs, then by all means, analyse what he's doing.

I just think if he's making runs, he can do what he damned well pleases. If he's not making runs, then by all means, analyse what he's doing.
Agreed. Like anything in life, if a player/coach transgresses but the team is winning/playing well continue on.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
DRS. I have no problem with technology checking on stumpings, run outs, no-balls and sometimes catches, but I detest ball tracking. In my mind there is no evidence to suggest we should be relying upon this tool for accuracy. Also not 100% sure about Snicko and hot spot.

The DRS was brought in to over-turn the howler. Watching this rubbish about umpire's call, etc, whether half the ball was clipping the stumps, it just does my head in. If it was a "howler", one replay would suffice, but we stand around while watching about 6 replays to determine if a batsman was out. Even after a decision is made, I've still not been convinced it was the correct call.

Using it as a tactic should be discouraged, too many players reviewing in the hope the umpire made an error rather than being confident it was not out. And these committee meetings by the fielding team to decide whether or not to review just annoys me. If it's an obvious bad call, why do you need to discuss it? Just review it. If it's 50/50, then just get on with the game.

I remember a Test when Panasar was obviously out, the Test match lost, and the Aussie players were celebrating the win. Could have also been the Ashes decider (not sure). Monty called for DRS, so we had to wait around for the 3rd umpire to confirm. It's crap. I'd like to see players fined for wasting everyone's time with stupid reviews.

Good to see they've finally got it right with 3rd umpires checking for no-balls. Should have been introduced at least 10 years ago.

Bareth Garry

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Batsmen who call for new bats mid-innings. And especially batsmen who do it when they've been out in the middle for just 20 minutes.

Imagine Viv Richards at his peak smoking the bowlers for fun and when he brought up his century deciding to go again with a fresh piece of willow

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
More an annoying thing on Kayo this weekend about the cricket. The only shield game on today looks close by scores on cricinfo. Turn on Kayo expecting I can watch some of the end and it is not even on there. Some women's game I not interested ahead been shown instead. Priorities out of whack imo. Earlier in summer there was three shield games on at same time and can pick and chose from them. Now there is one on there and no Tests and they do not even have it on. Weird. Was also annoyed none of the Test of Windies was on last few weeks. I thought the 24 hour cricket channel was better than this.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Blokes getting a free pass for throwing away a chance to bat the opposition out of a test match just because they ticked over into three figures.

Example: Guy gets out for 85 - "He'll be disappointed not to have put the opposition to the sword". Guy gets out for 103 - "A fine century".

Don't think I've ever seen a commentator make the former criticism of someone that's got out just after a century, but heard it plenty of times for someone out just short of a ton, even though both batsmen have probably left 50+ runs out on the field.

Obviously this is very match specific. Plenty of low scoring test matches where an 80 is more valuable than a 140 from a high scoring test.

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
images.jpeg-4.jpg

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
DRS. I have no problem with technology checking on stumpings, run outs, no-balls and sometimes catches, but I detest ball tracking. In my mind there is no evidence to suggest we should be relying upon this tool for accuracy. Also not 100% sure about Snicko and hot spot.

The DRS was brought in to over-turn the howler. Watching this rubbish about umpire's call, etc, whether half the ball was clipping the stumps, it just does my head in. If it was a "howler", one replay would suffice, but we stand around while watching about 6 replays to determine if a batsman was out. Even after a decision is made, I've still not been convinced it was the correct call.

Using it as a tactic should be discouraged, too many players reviewing in the hope the umpire made an error rather than being confident it was not out. And these committee meetings by the fielding team to decide whether or not to review just annoys me. If it's an obvious bad call, why do you need to discuss it? Just review it. If it's 50/50, then just get on with the game.

I remember a Test when Panasar was obviously out, the Test match lost, and the Aussie players were celebrating the win. Could have also been the Ashes decider (not sure). Monty called for DRS, so we had to wait around for the 3rd umpire to confirm. It's crap. I'd like to see players fined for wasting everyone's time with stupid reviews.

Good to see they've finally got it right with 3rd umpires checking for no-balls. Should have been introduced at least 10 years ago.
This.

I despise the speculative LBW review. It goes the way of some nations - England, India, NZ - who for whatever reason seem able to convince umpires they're not as tall as some other nations - WI, SA and Australia - and thus get the benefit of umpire's call a hell of a lot more.

Umpires that go to a video replay to check a run out that is miles in or out.

So much this, and then when the 3rd umpire wants the video replayed so he can check for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time for something that all at the ground knew before it even went upstairs

I did laugh in the BBL match between Renegades & Hurricanes - Handscomb was runout, the umpire didn't bother going upstairs as he had the conviction to give it out. Handscomb wasn't happy, let the umpire know about it on the way out as I'm guessing he thought he was safe but the replays showed the umpire got it right

For some batsmen it's almost like they can't believe they are out unless a replay shows them to be out

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
In a lot of instances it’s a reward for a lack of skill by the batsman.
The batsmen does not get the runs to their name so makes no sense.
The fielding side has conceded some runs as ball gone into a gap in the field placements.
The individual batsman gets no runs added to his own score.
The batting team gets runs added to the extras...

Back