El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Adelaide League Logo.png

After a very tight vote, Adelaide has won the rights to host the 2021 Suburban Football League competition.

The ASFL will be a league based football design competition. The competition structure will consist of a single round robin followed by finals, with the twist in this one being that you can revise your entry at any time during the competition.

Entrants will create a logo and uniform for a brand new suburban football club based in the Adelaide metropolitan area. The club may be based anywhere in that defined area but must not share a name with a current or former AFL or SANFL club.

Entrants will design and submit 1 football uniform for their created club, and submit 2 images, one with coloured shorts for home games and one with white shorts for away games.

The only design criteria for the uniform is that it must have the league logo as posted above on the right chest, and a number on the back. You'll notice that the league logo from last year has been modified so it is no longer location specific, and can be used moving forward as the competition moves cities. The black section of the league logo may be recoloured as desired but the red ball must stay red. Sponsor placement is entirely up to the designer and I encourage you to be creative.

Another key change to move with the times, is that I don't require you to display every part of the kit. The front of the guernsey must be displayed, and enough of the shorts to display whether they are home or away shorts. How much or how little you display within that scope is up to you. I'm hoping like with other recent comps, this will allow people a bit more freedom in terms of presentation. I'll also accept videos in place of an image if you'd like.

The fun part of this competition is that you may redesign and resubmit your designs as many times as you desire between rounds, up to and including the Grand Final. Your club name, nickname and general colours are locked in, but everything else may change. Template, logo, design, presentation, sponsors, anything. You can also revert to a previous design at your discretion.

I've kept it to a single design to encourage people to resubmit as often as possible to keep their creative juices flowing. You might like to submit a 1 week special event guernsey, or you might make some template improvements, or you might change absolutely everything to try to claw your way back into the race. You might even have a big game against a quality opponent and redesign purely for the freshness votes. Last year we had an Ochre-off, so feel free to plan special event guernseys with certain opponents if you like (i'm looking at you, Schwab twins). I'll get a fixture out as early as possible to facilitate this sort of stuff.

Please submit your team proposals in this thread. They are all automatically accepted provided they are within the Adelaide metropolitan area. I'm not really fussed if we have 2 teams in the same place, just as long as they aren't named after current or former AFL or SANFL teams.

Entries are to be submitted to me via PM in the form of a URL from an image hosting site like Imgur or Flickr, no later than 11.59pm on Wednesday March 24th 2021.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
A couple of housekeeping issues:

If I happen to get more than 20 teams, i'll split the comp into 2 divisions. I'll probably make them equal in standing, a North and a South, but I may also decide to go with a 1st division and 2nd division.

Make sure your teams are in the metro area. There is a tendency for interstaters to immediately think Barossa when doing a team in SA. The Barossa isn't in the metro area. I'll allow Gawler as my northernmost extent. Similarly, no teams from the hills, like Mt Barker, Hahndorf or Stirling. If you're not sure, ask.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Just wondering, how did interstaters decide on a location for the Melbourne competition?
Would like to see if it helps in this instance

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Just wondering, how did interstaters decide on a location for the Melbourne competition?

I had a rough Idea of the Melbourne landscape (having holidayed there multiple times in the past), planned on Malvern initially, but then gave up on that plan when I realised that I had no chance of drawing the front of a classic tram, so then looked for something in that area on Google Maps, found Elwood and the nickname just hit me.

Adelaide I have no clue about, so this is going to be interesting.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

I also had a basic knowledge of Melbourne, figured out based on that which region I wanted to be in and then picked the suburb that fit best with Ducks.

I could do a bit of a map with a basic outline of what each region is known for I guess but my knowledge of the southern suburbs is patchy at best.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Okay, as a bit of a guide to Adelaide for the out of towners, here's a map with a bit of a guide on what different areas of the city are like.

May my Adelaide brethren forgive me if i've gotten anything dramatically wrong here.

ed5XyTW.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Okay, as a bit of a guide to Adelaide for the out of towners, here's a map with a bit of a guide on what different areas of the city are like.

May my Adelaide brethren forgive me if i've gotten anything dramatically wrong here.

ed5XyTW.jpg
Cheers for this, i have some fam in the north-east of Adelaide, today I learned their social status lol

I also visited Modbury hospital once, heard a few code blacks while I was there so you know.. it's a pretty cool place

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
The area around the big-ass shopping centre is pretty middle-class, Tonsley in particular is meant to be an up-and-coming area. It gets a bit rougher once you get past the Flinders precinct though, Hackham and Christies Beach/Downs are working class.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It's definitely a rough guide, I encourage people to have a bit of a deeper look into different suburbs. Even Wikipedia will have a decent basic rundown of most suburbs so you can start to identify areas and suburbs that fit in well with how you want your team to look.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
One month now until entries are due! I know I haven't posted my team in here yet but keep posting away!

I'd been pretty sure Perth was going to win and have my identity for a WA based side pretty well sorted. Adelaide is almost harder because I have too much to choose from. I'll probably go with Greenwith where I live, but I don't have a decent identity sorted yet.

Back