Is the delisting of tod grima one of the most unfair ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought then and now Blake was treated unbelievably harshly. By the club and particularly by fans. So he was a little annoyed as missing out on a premiership, so what? Not the first and won't be the last. I actually met and spoke to most if not all the players at the 2007 Best and Fairest. The only one I didn't enjoy chatting to - by a long way - was Steven King.

He was a solid tap ruckman and pretty durable. Wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either.

So Steven King was a bit of a horror story? :cool: Funnily enough, remember the only jab Mark 'Choco' Williams could throw at us Grand Final Week 2007 was the fact that we included King in our team? I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like "They picked Steven King and he's Old Geelong. And we all know what Old Geelong were like". It definitely was a slag, and it was definitely about Kingy and Old Geelong.

And it definitely backfired!

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Good call in hindsight to delist him, just an ordinary footy player, wouldnt get a game on our side the last few years. Would be a backup reserves player. Great call

Held Franklin to only 1 goal in the grand final. Injury setbacks in recent seasons but quite easily a better defender than Blicavs and would be nice to have the 27yr old standing at full back alongside, Stewart and Kolodjashnij as we head into 2021.

But hey, here's to the old brigade of Tuohy, Henderson and Smith holding down the fort, lol.

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
The concept of fair probably is not something that should be applied to professional sport.

That TG did not find another chance somewhere probably says something.

No doubt one can be lucky or unlucky land at the right or wrong club. I still maintain being the best kid draft to the worst side is not always a great way to see talent maximised. IF Carcoe had gone to Richmond and we had got Tambling... etc.. , and some lists just have an over supply of type that are not flexible.

In the 80's Richmond had Roach , Mark Jackson and Brian Taylor all kicking a heap of goals, they end up else where.

The Maddern brothers had to split up , juts not enough chances for them both. Probably plenty of examples for rucks , they are so single role players.

Reading an article about out best kids.. Sam DeKoning is now 203cm ... , we have just drafted two young rucks... ..would it surprise if one is unlucky?

On unlucky guys we cut... I thought Scott Simpson was unlucky. A couple of years after Grima..but maybe the same issues. I think he kicked 8 goals in a VFL game and only lasted a year. That is unusual, we normally give players longer than that. Was there more to it? One never knows... but considering plenty of players with issues are kep if they have enough talent, the choices where someone gets chopped early does make on wonders.

Another that had 'issues' was Blake. Not get a premiership player to 100 games.... that was a rather vindictive bit of selection.
Agree regarding Mark Blake - obviously got the Coaches and MC offside with attitude but I always thought this was pretty mean spirited. Sometimes backing a down player in with a game can turn them around. (Might have been sensible to get him to 100 games to cover father/son !). Mark apparently dominated the EFL (a quality league I understand) for years afterwards, during which we struggled with ruck stocks.

Given the ‘bad blood’ (?) it was great to see Mark having a good time at the 2009 Premiership reunion (in 2019) - Joel Corey absence rather ‘telling’ by comparison.

Correct decisions:

- Moving on Chappy.
- Moving on SJ.

Not much could have been done:

- Hamling. Was behind Kolo in the queue for a gig in the seniors. Kolo ended up getting his chance and Hamling didn't. Not fussed in the slightest.

Big little cat

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Great thread. There's a lot of heartbreaks and unknowns around some players footy careers. Todd Grima is a great example. I always thought that if a player themselves struggles to explain the reasons why they were delisted, particularly if they showed good form during the year, then the club either hasn't done a great job with the exit interview or they are dead set unlucky (e. g. the club doesn't want the extra forward).

I am unsure of truth around Mark Blake. I am stocked he is a premiership ruckman. He may never set the world on fire, but his tap work was very underrated. I still cannot fathom why the club left him stranded on 99 games. I assume it must have been a joint decision at the end.

I guess the sad point of all this is that every club would have equally head shaking delistings. It would make for an interesting documentary series!

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Correct decisions:

- Moving on Chappy.
- Moving on SJ.

Not much could have been done:

- Hamling. Was behind Kolo in the queue for a gig in the seniors. Kolo ended up getting his chance and Hamling didn't. Not fussed in the slightest.

why would anyone be fussed about moving on hamling? He wouldn’t have gotten a game in our back line and would have rotted in reserves.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Held Franklin to only 1 goal in the grand final. Injury setbacks in recent seasons but quite easily a better defender than Blicavs and would be nice to have the 27yr old standing at full back alongside, Stewart and Kolodjashnij as we head into 2021.

But hey, here's to the old brigade of Tuohy, Henderson and Smith holding down the fort, lol.

who would have hamling replaced?? He got moved on from bulldogs for pick 35, wasn’t exactly thought very highly of even at the dogs. He wouldn’t have gotten a game at geelong and would have rotted in the reserves behind our other talls.

out of everyone to single out hamling was a very good call to move on, had no need for him. Could argue more a case for Steve Johnson or Chapman than hamling. Hindsight that was an obvious good call

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Agree regarding Mark Blake - obviously got the Coaches and MC offside with attitude but I always thought this was pretty mean spirited. Sometimes backing a down player in with a game can turn them around. (Might have been sensible to get him to 100 games to cover father/son !). Mark apparently dominated the EFL (a quality league I understand) for years afterwards, during which we struggled with ruck stocks.

Given the ‘bad blood’ (?) it was great to see Mark having a good time at the 2009 Premiership reunion (in 2019) - Joel Corey absence rather ‘telling’ by comparison.
What's missing in this Mark Blake discussion is the change to the bench rule being introduced and most if not all coaches having the view it would be the end of dinosaur tap ruckmen like Mark,he could have survived every thing else. IMHO he'd have have been picked up by another club under the status quo or even retained at the Cats.

Wasn't Hamling delisted with the intention of being rookie listed but instead the Bulldogs put an offer to him so he joined them as a FA?

And yes Franklin was kept to 1 goal in the 2016 grand final, but need to remember that he rolled his ankle in the first quarter which required him to go to the rooms for treatment, he then went to the rooms for further treatment at quarter time and while Hamling was his main opponent the Dogs would often double team him & didn't make things easy for him that day

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Wasn't Hamling delisted with the intention of being rookie listed but instead the Bulldogs put an offer to him so he joined them as a FA?

And yes Franklin was kept to 1 goal in the 2016 grand final, but need to remember that he rolled his ankle in the first quarter which required him to go to the rooms for treatment, he then went to the rooms for further treatment at quarter time and while Hamling was his main opponent the Dogs would often double team him & didn't make things easy for him that day

find it odd hamling gets brought up in such a discussion, wouldn’t have gotten a game at any point over the years in our back half. Wouldn’t have replaced Taylor Henderson or blicavs as key backs, and has had just a mediocre career, to the point the bulldogs traded him for pick 35 when they have no key position defenders.

would have thought it’s not really much of a discussion. If anything it’s probably a testament to just how little anyone we have let go has gone on to do anything at another club. We have rarely missed a beat with delistibgs or trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

second reply.
I’d call Joel hamling keeping lance franklin to 1 goal much of the same ilk as Zac Dawson keeping Tom Hawkins goalless at Fremantle while Hawkins gets triple teamed all day.

as you mentioned it certainly helps when Franklin was down in the rooms all day being treated for a mobility injury

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Great thread. There's a lot of heartbreaks and unknowns around some players footy careers. Todd Grima is a great example. I always thought that if a player themselves struggles to explain the reasons why they were delisted, particularly if they showed good form during the year, then the club either hasn't done a great job with the exit interview or they are dead set unlucky (e. g. the club doesn't want the extra forward).

I am unsure of truth around Mark Blake. I am stocked he is a premiership ruckman. He may never set the world on fire, but his tap work was very underrated. I still cannot fathom why the club left him stranded on 99 games. I assume it must have been a joint decision at the end.

I guess the sad point of all this is that every club would have equally head shaking delistings. It would make for an interesting documentary series!

what I found bizarre about grima is even his draft year he kicked ten goals in a national carnival game for Tasmania, yet he still went as a rookie pick?? Or might have been very late draft.

seemed to be lowly rated despite very high output, which was to the extent of being only 19 years old in his second VFL season and being delisted by an AFL club after finishing the season with 60 goals in the VFL ( something close to that) yet not a single club wanted him!!!

bizzare really as key forwards down grow on trees

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
what I found bizarre about grima is even his draft year he kicked ten goals in a national carnival game for Tasmania, yet he still went as a rookie pick?? Or might have been very late draft.

seemed to be lowly rated despite very high output, which was to the extent of being only 19 years old in his second VFL season and being delisted by an AFL club after finishing the season with 60 goals in the VFL ( something close to that) yet not a single club wanted him!!!

bizzare really as key forwards down grow on trees
Must have been terrible at other aspects of his game. Clubs don't draft one trick ponies.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
how terrible can you be that it isn’t worth developing at 19 years of age when you just kicked 60 goals in the VFL??
I know nothing about this guy. But clearly there was something that stopped him being a high draft pick. Was he as fat as plugger and couldn't run out of the goal square? There has to be something. If he was that good he would have got a game.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I know nothing about this guy. But clearly there was something that stopped him being a high draft pick. Was he as fat as plugger and couldn't run out of the goal square? There has to be something. If he was that good he would have got a game.

obviously is a reason or many reasons, to which I do not know any of. Always found it one of the more bizzare comings and going’s of a footy talent into the system that never made rationale sense. Not even a single AFL game or a second chance

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Players to kick 20 or more goals for Geelong in the 2007 season.
G Ablett:26
N Ablett:28
S Johnson:41
C Mooney:55
P Chapman:20
C Ling:27
M Stoke:28
Your mission should you choose to except it is squeeze Grima in.
On top of that others to kick double figures that year, Hawkins Bartel Varcoe Wojo Kelly Mackie Ottens they added another 94.

Last edited:

Give me Blicavs before Hamling any day of the week.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Players to kick 20 or more goals for Geelong in the 2007 season.
G Ablett:26
N Ablett:28
S Johnson:41
C Mooney:55
P Chapman:20
C Ling:27
M Stoke:28
Your mission should you choose to except it is squeeze Grima in.
On top of that others to kick double figures that year, Hawkins Bartel Varcoe Wojo Kelly Mackie Ottens they added another 94.
How many did he kick in the vfl that year? I’d assume he wasn’t knocking the door down with bags?

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
How many did he kick in the vfl that year? I’d assume he wasn’t knocking the door down with bags?

This is in 2007 only his second year on our list as a 19 year old.

Was named in thr VFL team of the year before delisted...

“Grima missed two matches this season - one through illness and another through suspension - but still managed to kick 48 goals to sit inside the league’s top five goal kicking ladder at the end of the home and away season.”

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely just taking the piss claiming hamling would dislodge any of our key defenders across the last few years

No, am not taking the piss and no, I never said recent years.
Am talking career to date and as it stands right now, Joel Hamling has been a better key defender than what Blicavs has and that has a lot to do with the simple fact Mark Blicavs only recently began playing in the backline. Up until a year or so ago, he was a ruckman/utility.
Tom Stewart is a star but is he really a key defender? He seldom takes the top forwards as he is undersized and is more of our general just as Scarlett was in his later years where it was left to Lonergan and Taylor to take the 1st and 2nd best forwards.

Taylor's been a star.
Henderson, been good but he was playing in the VFL for a couple of seasons before he was called up to the senior team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back