AFLW AFLW 2021 - Suns Sisters Sophomore Slog

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 fixture has been announced. We play Fremantle in Perth Saturday 2:10pm local... geez our match ups this year- we are really getting the rough end of the stick...
Not much can be done about that right now. Only so many you can play while vic is in lockdown and borders shut.

Right now quite unbelievable performance by Eagles in the first half against Lions though not rewarded on scoreboard. I suspect Lions will run over them in 2nd half.

Again why did we de-list Taylor Smith? She had several great marks and a nice goal.

As I suspected, Lions dominate 2nd half. Smith scored 2nd goal.

Last edited:
So each team will get either 4 or 5 home games.

Teams we haven't played (there will be 5 that we play with 3 or 4 of them on the Gold Coast/Mackay)

Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Geelong
Kangaroos
Richmond
St Kilda
Western Bulldogs
West Coast

I'd hope the teams we get are Carlton, Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast (considering we already have played Fremantle, Melbourne and Brisbane who are three of the top 4 teams on the ladder) but I think we will get Adelaide. Adelaide and West Coast I expect to play over the next two weeks hoping we get our COVID cluster under control leaving the final 3 games to be held in March.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a rough season this is

Most other teams have got better, we have pretty much stood still.
Looking at the recent history of expansion teams (2 men, 6 women), only North women were any good in year 2.
So not be surprised that this year is a struggle.
Really need more good midfielders. Too easy to take Stanton out of it.
Hopefully some of the juniors are gun mids.
Saints have added Patrikios and Smith thru the draft the last 2 years and their midfield looks excellent.

Most other teams have got better, we have pretty much stood still.
Looking at the recent history of expansion teams (2 men, 6 women), only North women were any good in year 2.
So not be surprised that this year is a struggle.
Really need more good midfielders. Too easy to take Stanton out of it.
Hopefully some of the juniors are gun mids.
Saints have added Patrikios and Smith thru the draft the last 2 years and their midfield looks excellent.

Drennan has been good but having 2 or 3 good players for the whole game doesn’t cut it so many hot and cold players.

I think keslar has passed it

The coach said in post match interview the players were lazy I think the coach was lazy too.. first quarter played an attacking style similar to last year and kicking with the wind managed to score A goal but skills very ordinary still able to restrict them to none second quarter against the wind still managed to restrict them until close to half time then they started to get their mojo going coach tried to go defensive and we didn’t have the fitness or skills to stay with them or follow coaches attempt to 100% defend

The West Coast game this Sunday will be a true reflection of how far our girls have declined. We played the Eagles in Perth in the last game of the 2021 home and away season and belted them by 25 points. Just like us, they are yet to win a game this year so if we don't win this one then I think it's fair to say our girls have dramatically declined in 2021. If we win, then maybe the girls can get something going in the last 4 games of the season and salvage something. Presumably we'll have multiple games at home following this one so the girls might be able to get on a roll after (hopefully) a win over West Coast.

I still think our girls have been given a pretty rough draw by having to face Fremantle (1st), Brisbane (3rd) and Melbourne (5th) in three of the opening four rounds of the season. Even if the girls were on fire, we'd likely still have a record of 1-3 right now just due to our draw. If the AFLW fixture makers wanted to even things out they'd give us Richmond and Geelong at home in rounds 6 & 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back