Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
well you can pretty quick tell well someone’s from by whether it’s a Boags or a Cascade in there hand.

as someone who goes back there a bit, I’d say I think it’s there, but not as prominent as it used to be.

one thing I do notice though, when the Big Bash is in Launceston, it’s all about “Tasmania’s team”, and they’re just referred to as the Hurricanes, the word Hobart does seem to be conspicuously absent.

Naaah I'm in Hobart and drink Boags!

Does the North/South divide still exist in Tas or is this from an old era?

Regional parochialism still exists. It also exists between the western & Eastern sides of Sydney, Brisbane V GC, Sydney V Melbourne, etc etc It can be a negative & or a positive. It can create enmity or stimulate competition for improvement.

Would it stop a Tasmanian team functioning in the AFL. No.

Agree

Not sure why this is being debated. Lovely spot and also home of quality pinot noir

A great place for cool climate wines.

Pinot noir especially good.

Your Shiraz, Cab Savs not so much. You can't beat those wonderful rich reds from Barossa/Coonawarra.

Victoria so varied so many good spots.

WA Margaret river never been, but had a few very nice bottles, NSW Hunter valley, loved it, Yummo!

I had friends give me a couple of bottles of Qld wine from around Stanthorpe region. I couldn't tell them how bloody awful it was.

Qld do beaches well. Not wine. ;)

Regional parochialism still exists. It also exists between the western & Eastern sides of Sydney, Brisbane V GC, Sydney V Melbourne, etc etc It can be a negative & or a positive. It can create enmity or stimulate competition for improvement.

Would it stop a Tasmanian team functioning in the AFL. No.
A team down here would be embraced by both towns, marketing guys would call the team the Tasmanian ......... and all will follow.

Me too, I drink both.
From the middle originally, and don't drink either (as both are not inspiring at all - in fact, both are rubbish). Plenty of good craft beers instead (T-Bone as an example) and very partial recently to the Moo Brew Single Hop.

Funnily enough, did uni in Hobart where Boags is plenty available. Worked in Launceston where Cascade is incredibly rare to find. Lift your game North!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The North/South thing is still a bit of a joke/fun for younger people but for older guys it's very real. I was doing a job once in St Helens and the electrician asked where I was from, I said Hobart. "Hobart? Can't stand the f*****g place. I've only been there twice and both times I couldn't wait to leave". This was a 40 year old bloke that lived in Launceston and had only been to his state capitol twice.
My mum was over from Perth once and we were in a knitting shop or something and there was a women in the shop close to tears, mum asked if she was ok and she replied "Not really, I'm from Devonport and I can't wait to get back home, I just can't stand the traffic down here". Mum didn't know if she was joking or not. She wasn't.
Heaps of kids are doing Uni a different ends of the state so the fear of either town has slowly disappeared which is a good thing.
There'd be a huge amount of kids from Hobart that have never been to Burnie but at the same time there'd be tonnes of kids from Frankston that have never been to Ballarat or Geelong.

Doubt Hawthorn would continue in Launceston without the $4m sponsorship. This is possibly all part of the AFL plan to get Hawthorn out and a financial struggler like the Saints in. Then again, would it really be financially viable to move games from Melbourne to Tasmania to play in front of 10k - 15k if they are relying on match day revenue only. Perhaps just an empty threat as part of negotiations.
None of this is helping Tasmania get a team.

The locals up north know not to touch the City Park monkeys, not after they had the herpes outbreak.

Well of course. It's the locals who gave it to them in the first place.

So for the people who were asking whether young people are migrating to Tasmania or not, this blog post has your answer.

It covers the period between June 2018 and June 2019. The short version is, Tasmania still had a net loss of 15-24 year olds to other states, but it was a smaller loss than in the previous ten years. And the losses were more than made up for by the number of 15-24 year olds immigrating from overseas, making an overall net gain of young people. So there's plenty of young people around, just not ones who grew up in Australia. When the pandemic is over and they allow overseas immigration again, Tasmania will be fine.

It also says most of those young people are foreign students - temporary arrivals that in reality have no impact on the viability of a Tasmanian AFL team.

The reality is that Tassie has the highest median age in the country, and over the last 20 years it's blown out from 36 to 42. The national median age is currently 37. I wouldn't use a demographic argument if you're trying to justify a Tassie team.

Doubt Hawthorn would continue in Launceston without the $4m sponsorship. This is possibly all part of the AFL plan to get Hawthorn out and a financial struggler like the Saints in. Then again, would it really be financially viable to move games from Melbourne to Tasmania to play in front of 10k - 15k if they are relying on match day revenue only. Perhaps just an empty threat as part of negotiations.
None of this is helping Tasmania get a team.

Is this even an AFL call? Surely it's up to Hawthorn and North whether they want to play home games down there if they're not getting paid for it. I know the AFL run the fixture, but I doubt they're going to drag teams kicking and screaming. Not home teams anyway.

From the middle originally, and don't drink either (as both are not inspiring at all - in fact, both are rubbish). Plenty of good craft beers instead (T-Bone as an example) and very partial recently to the Moo Brew Single Hop.

Funnily enough, did uni in Hobart where Boags is plenty available. Worked in Launceston where Cascade is incredibly rare to find. Lift your game North!

I find Boag's XXXX and Cascade Lager to be refreshing beers, really effortless drinking. Things like T-Bone are a real effort to drink, too hop-heavy and unpleasant for me.
But I understand I am not craft beer aficionado like many my generation. I am glad these beers/breweries exist though, great for Tasmania!
I do enjoy Tassie scotch on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back