AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It seems so simple doesn't it.

The AFL does a lot of really horrendous corrupt and self serving sh*t, but supporting women's sport is not that at all. Do these people not have daughters or neices who they can now dream about winning a flag for Port one day? Complaining about the standard of a fledgling league where most players probably didn't grow up playing footy extensively is dumb. It'll get better because girls will watch this and then go and join their local club.

Until we get a team, I don't have much interest, but i'll be very interested when Port are playing.

There are plenty of Port Adelaide badged Women's teams in other more suited and far more skilled sports with far more storied histories out there for you to support and for your nieces and daughters to aspire to. I totally disagree with this comment..... "The AFL does a lot of really horrendous corrupt and self serving sh*t, but supporting women's sport is not that at all.".... the AFWL is the most self serving s**t possible. They waltz on in with all their money, steal players from other sports, get massively disproportionate media coverage, for what is a completely s**t tier product, gain massive Govt grants (for what is the richest sport in Aust by miles) whilst other female sports that have done the hard yards for decades get the scraps. It is a complete farce.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are plenty of Port Adelaide badged Women's teams in other more suited and far more skilled sports with far more storied histories out there for you to support and for your nieces and daughters to aspire to. I totally disagree with this comment..... "The AFL does a lot of really horrendous corrupt and self serving sh*t, but supporting women's sport is not that at all.".... the AFWL is the most self serving sh*t possible. They waltz on in with all their money, steal players from other sports, get massively disproportionate media coverage, for what is a completely sh*t tier product, gain massive Govt grants (for what is the richest sport in Aust by miles) whilst other female sports that have done the hard yards for decades get the scraps. It is a complete farce.
I do find it pretty funny that soccer, the most popular and played sport in Australia, has had a significant women's game with cross-promotion from every A-league club for years (since 2008), yet it's barely talked about.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I do find it pretty funny that soccer, the most popular and played sport in Australia, has had a significant women's game with cross-promotion from every A-league club for years (since 2008), yet it's barely talked about.
I often watch the W League on the ABC on a Sunday arvo

It is eminently more watchable than the AFLW

Skills are good and it's well structured

I be surprised if the average Joe could name any players other than Sam Kerr which is disappointing for a sport that has obvious national and international pathways

and there's some good looking chicks playing :cool:

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Looking at the weekend scores, there was an absolute ball tearer (maybe inappropriate for a women's sport???) of a game between GWS and Gold Coast.
Goals galore.

And I'm sure the purists waxed lyrical over the elite intensity of the tackling pressure and the sublime defensive skills on show.

The Women's league will improve in the years to come, no doubt, but currently I would find it would only be worth watching if I had a partner, wife, daughter, sister, etc involved.

Look, everyone can watch what they like. It's a free world (so I'm lead to believe). Neither I nor anyone else here is the moral arbiter of that.
But I personally find no interest in watching it - even the 30 seconds of tv news highlights bores me. I will watch my son's Ammo C3 side full of fat, balding 50 year old men, and find it more appealing, but that's just me :p

...I will watch my son's Ammo C3 side full of fat, balding 50 year old men, and find it more appealing, but that's just me :p

Soooooo you find fat balding men in their 50's more appealing than athletic young women?

The things you learn on the infanet.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking at the weekend scores, there was an absolute ball tearer (maybe inappropriate for a women's sport???) of a game between GWS and Gold Coast.
Goals galore.

And I'm sure the purists waxed lyrical over the elite intensity of the tackling pressure and the sublime defensive skills on show.

The Women's league will improve in the years to come, no doubt, but currently I would find it would only be worth watching if I had a partner, wife, daughter, sister, etc involved.

Look, everyone can watch what they like. It's a free world (so I'm lead to believe). Neither I nor anyone else here is the moral arbiter of that.
But I personally find no interest in watching it - even the 30 seconds of tv news highlights bores me. I will watch my son's Ammo C3 side full of fat, balding 50 year old men, and find it more appealing, but that's just me :p
I've heard this a bit from mates and it's not entirely invalid.

The thing I would suggest is picking one of the good teams (Dockers for me), and just watch their games. You will get a feel for it better, you will always be watching at least one team playing at a decent level, and the games in general get better each year.

Houghton, Duffy and Bowers in particular are great to watch regardless of whether all 36 players on the field are at an elite standard.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
This article could only have been written by a woman. The writer fails to mention that in 11 games thus far the losing side has failed to score more than one goal. In two games the losing side did not score a single goal. How is the standard of the AFLW improved by having a team that manages just 16 points in three games?

Gender equality in Australian Rules? yeah right- we look forward to the AFLW v AFL game.

This article could only have been written by a woman. The writer fails to mention that in 11 games thus far the losing side has failed to score more than one goal. In two games the losing side did not score a single goal. How is the standard of the AFLW improved by having a team that manages just 16 points in three games?

Gender equality in Australian Rules? yeah right- we look forward to the AFLW v AFL game.

This is the most idiotic take on any sport ever.

Congratulations.

Rappy often misses the mark in his eagerness. Complaining about a positive AWFL related article from the ABC is as pointless as complaining about North Korean News praising Kim Jong-Un.

There’s missing the mark and then there’s being an ignorant old fool.

The latter has occurred today.

The ignore button has been applied.

rapetailia has had dr feel and I on ignore since the early days of the rona.

Permanent application of the ignoramus button has been applied to us.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When the AFLW was in it's initial stages why on earth would you go down the same line of too many teams in Victoria, there was an opportunity here to structure this comp with the right correlation to the talent pool.

Excluding the Melbourne minnow clubs would've been a good move.

When the AFLW was in it's initial stages why on earth would you go down the same line of too many teams in Victoria, there was an opportunity here to structure this comp with the right correlation to the talent pool.

Excluding the Melbourne minnow clubs would've been a good move.

Melbourne and Footscray were the first two clubs offered a licence I think. It was related to their promotion of the womens game over many years. REH detailed it all, and I mean all, somewhere.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

Gender equality does not equate to "pay equality", which I suspect is at the bottom of why this article made it to print ie to push the case for wage increases for the women.

Whilst I accept that the game has improved since it started a few years back, it is still light years from the standard that the AFL mens' comp is at.

If it was based on ability and patronage and commercial sponsorship values, etc then the men should be receiving what they get now and the women should be paid Div 1 Ammo wages in comparison.

You can argue that the AFLW players should receive a proportionately greater revenue stream than what they legitimately are valued at, because of the fact that the comp provides a pathway for women in sport (Australian football to be specific), and that they are "trailblazers, and that it is a national competition (irrespective of the quality of the competition). I think we can all can see that.

But it all still reverts back to quality, number of games played in a season, etc.

On what basis does "gender equality" specifically refer to here?

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Gender equality does not equate to "pay equality", which I suspect is at the bottom of why this article made it to print ie to push the case for wage increases for the women.

Whilst I accept that the game has improved since it started a few years back, it is still light years from the standard that the AFL mens' comp is at.

If it was based on ability and patronage and commercial sponsorship values, etc then the men should be receiving what they get now and the women should be paid Div 1 Ammo wages in comparison.

You can argue that the AFLW players should receive a proportionately greater revenue stream than what they legitimately are valued at, because of the fact that the comp provides a pathway for women in sport (Australian football to be specific), and that they are "trailblazers, and that it is a national competition (irrespective of the quality of the competition). I think we can all can see that.

But it all still reverts back to quality, number of games played in a season, etc.

On what basis does "gender equality" specifically refer to here?

I took it that the author was referring to playing standards. She makes a big deal about one or two specific instances of high skills.

I am also not sure why gender equality even rates a mention. The AFLW is what it is and headlines that invite comparisons with the AFL are counter productive.

The problem is the AFL have expanded the AFLW competition and the player pool has thinned accordingly. They would have been better off if they left the competition at 10 teams and had a better concentration of talent. I am not sure that going to 14 teams allowing teams like Gold Coast and GWS into the competition has lifted the standard. I am sure it has been said before 4x Vic, 2x SA, 2x WA and 1x NSW, 1x Qld would have been a beter mix. With that formula the game is focused in the traditional Aussie Rules states and there is a better concentration of the talent.

Back