Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

The name vandenberg comes to mind in regards to ziebell's role in the annals of our captains. He will not lead a dynastic but pave way for the actual leader of the dynasty. Get him fit, i mean completely fit for 2021. His role in defense will give him new area to work on hence prolonging his career.

The forward 6 already looks formed and ready to rock, just need to pump some game exposure. Midfield looks close to being ready with the right players, just need to get the rotation right. What role can ziebell play? Does he have the same speed as firrito? If he can play this undersized key defender then it would be a great win for us.

Does Ziebell's move into defense mean atley will be released into the middle in order to get him to take his game to the next level? SOmeone lie atley with his attribute in most club are attacking midfielders who runs into the forward line to kick goals.
Z doesn’t have Spud’s top level of speed but he does have his toughness and leadership qualities.

We can definitely see what Noble is doing here with the Luke Hodge/Shannon Hurn carbon copy role and I don’t mind it.

Atley will always be Atley. Nothing more, nothing less..

Z doesn’t have Spud’s top level of speed but he does have his toughness and leadership qualities.

We can definitely see what Noble is doing here with the Luke Hodge/Shannon Hurn carbon copy role and I don’t mind it.

Atley will always be Atley. Nothing more, nothing less..

Well, if atley can apply his leg speed in the middle pan forward for a couple more years, then we can say we got the most out of him.

So ziebell isn't as fast meaning he needs to be placed in situations where running isn't a factor meaning we want him to be the 'mismatched' player in the goal square against a bigger opponent. In other words, we want him to be exploited by the opposition to single him out in the goal square with one of their key position players.

But isn't there a concern with our backline being too tall? When everyone is fit, we would have tarrant a lock, mackay based on his 2020 form is a lock, corr is a lock. 3x195cm players out of 6 so far. Who will fill out the other 3 spot. Is ziebell as a defender a lock or trial? If ziebell is down back, who are the other two? We better have fast running little blokes who can kick well. 2 out of Hayden, Perez and Young?

Just my opinion, but all this negative crap, and lack of respect for our skipper is becoming pretty tiresome.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

I respect Jack as a person entirely so don't make s**t up.

It's about him being Captain, nothing more.

Last edited:

Did i quote or mention you in particular ? after reading the last few pages of this thread, i'm not making anything up.

Ok that's fine, fair enough, but who has disrespected him?

I can't see it - by all means show me the posts that have.

It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

I respect Jack as a person entirely so don't make sh*t up.

It's about him being Captain, nothing more.

mate , you know how people feel on this topic, you continue to go on about it, it shouldn’t be a surprise people get frustrated.

we all know you are entitled to your opinion but must you share it every few days and then act shocked people get frustrated

just let others have their opinions back

Zeebs may surprise a few this year

Yes, the captaincy may not be the right fit for him, but noble maybe doesn’t want to come in and change the pieces that much, especially when the playing group respects him

As I said before, I would lay off on any harsh judgements until end of 2021.

I personally hope he has a great year and stays fit.

It’s been many years since we’ve had somebody down back who can make opposition forwards hear footsteps. We’ve had our fair share of tough and courageous backmen but if Ziebell can bring back some 90’s mongrel to that backline it should lift the lads in a different way.

Exciting enough prospect to trial.

Zeebs may surprise a few this year

Yes, the captaincy may not be the right fit for him, but noble maybe doesn’t want to come in and change the pieces that much, especially when the playing group respects him

As I said before, I would lay off on any harsh judgements until end of 2021.

With a kid on the way, he'll no longer just be playing for himself. Having a kid can change a lot of people for the better so let's hope that he is one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that accurate, or a bit of hyperbole?

Accurate. He has had some sort of post season surgery or injury during preseason for every year for the past 5 years.

19/20 - Post season hip surgery - Calf Injury Post Christmas
18/19 - Calf Injury
17/18 - Post Season knee surgery
16/17 - Post Season shoulder surgery - Hamstring Post Christmas
15/16 - Post Season shoulder surgery

Accurate. He has had some sort of post season surgery or injury during preseason for every year for the past 5 years.

19/20 - Post season hip surgery - Calf Injury Post Christmas
18/19 - Calf Injury
17/18 - Post Season knee surgery
16/17 - Post Season shoulder surgery - Hamstring Post Christmas
15/16 - Post Season shoulder surgery
Outside of the obvious 2020 injury he's been pretty durable post year injury surgery or not.
1614037110080.png

But isn't there a concern with our backline being too tall?

Wouldn't think so.

I watched the whole game last Friday and Corr had no issue picking up Spicer.

McKay was on Stephenson from the square early before Anderson got injured and JS went to the middle. McKay took whoever was deepest and was even on LDU and Zurhaar late in the game.

Tarrant plays on smaller opponents.

Then we have Atley, Kyron, McDonald and Ziebell.

We also may need someone to swing forward or to the middle in some games.

Outside of the obvious 2020 injury he's been pretty durable post year injury surgery or not.
View attachment 1063478

No doubting his durability, but he has played with a lot of niggles throughout those years (because he is a tough prick). With a full preseason we should see his best footy.

Then we have Atley, Kyron, McDonald and Ziebell.

We also may need someone to swing forward or to the middle in some games.

This is exactly why these 4 players would appeal to Noble IMO. All 4 can play as defenders & MID or FWD if required.

I've got the impression that Noble rates Hayden - He appears to always be in the "Probable's" & Noble has made comments on his ability to play mid.

mate , you know how people feel on this topic, you continue to go on about it, it shouldn’t be a surprise people get frustrated.

we all know you are entitled to your opinion but must you share it every few days and then act shocked people get frustrated

just let others have their opinions back

I find it's the people who most vociferously claim their right to an opinion / freedom of speech who always seem to be most aggrieved when someone else refutes their opinion or contradicts something they said. Almost as if they believe freedom of speech means freedom from criticism or counter-argument.

If he gets through until round 1 it will be the first uninterrupted pre season he has had in 5 years. Hopefully that foundation can lead to an extended injury free run.

Playing off HB will extend his career. Too brave for his own good.

No doubting his durability, but he has played with a lot of niggles throughout those years (because he is a tough prick). With a full preseason we should see his best footy.

Think it was 2019 (maybe 18) where he played with a broken collarbone, broken ribs and a broken toe. Kicked 5 against Collingwood when he broke his collarbone. As tough as they come.

This clipping is from the February 28 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

Ziebell: My best footy still ahead
Herald Sun - Sunday, 28 Feb 2021 - Page 87

JACK Ziebell has just turned 30, but he feels “like a little kid” .

That is because for the first time in several years, the North Melbourne veteran is injury-free over summer and has not missed a training session.

Ticking over into a third decade causes anxiety for some, and in football sometimes it signals the start of a player’s decline.

For Ziebell though, he is embracing this phase of his career, and believes he has plenty left in the tank.

“If anything for me personally, this pre-season , finally doing it all, I’m loving being out there again and I’m like a little kid,” said Ziebell, who turns 30 today.

“Because I’ve missed so many sessions the last two to three years, especially in the summer months, in the mornings when I wake up a bit sore, I’ve got a smile on my face because I haven’t had it for ages. To do a two- or three-hour session with the boys, it actually makes me happy that I can do that, just because I’ve missed it.

“In terms of recovery, I feel like I bounce back quite well and I haven’t been sore at all throughout the pre-season .

“It’s the best I’ve felt for a while and I seriously believe my best footy is ahead of me.”

Ziebell is coming off a frustrating season. He played only eight matches — the lowest return of his career — and the Roos finished secondbottom with a 3-14 record.

“But I was desperate to be out there with the team, the way it (season) was going,” he said.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1614454331279.png

Sent from my iPad

This clipping is from the February 28 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

Ziebell: My best footy still ahead
Herald Sun - Sunday, 28 Feb 2021 - Page 87

JACK Ziebell has just turned 30, but he feels “like a little kid” .

That is because for the first time in several years, the North Melbourne veteran is injury-free over summer and has not missed a training session.

Ticking over into a third decade causes anxiety for some, and in football sometimes it signals the start of a player’s decline.

For Ziebell though, he is embracing this phase of his career, and believes he has plenty left in the tank.

“If anything for me personally, this pre-season , finally doing it all, I’m loving being out there again and I’m like a little kid,” said Ziebell, who turns 30 today.

“Because I’ve missed so many sessions the last two to three years, especially in the summer months, in the mornings when I wake up a bit sore, I’ve got a smile on my face because I haven’t had it for ages. To do a two- or three-hour session with the boys, it actually makes me happy that I can do that, just because I’ve missed it.

“In terms of recovery, I feel like I bounce back quite well and I haven’t been sore at all throughout the pre-season .

“It’s the best I’ve felt for a while and I seriously believe my best footy is ahead of me.”

Ziebell is coming off a frustrating season. He played only eight matches — the lowest return of his career — and the Roos finished secondbottom with a 3-14 record.

“But I was desperate to be out there with the team, the way it (season) was going,” he said.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

View attachment 1066754

Sent from my iPad

Do a Shane Crawford and jag a flag at the end of your career Jacky boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back