Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Your argument on each of those points is not with me. Pointing out a flaw in your argument doesn't mean I am the personification of every criticism anyone ever levelled at Xavier Campbell, and I'm not going to defend those arguments on that basis either.

I think it's important when making a judgement about his performance that we are appraised of the facts, both what he is responsible for, and exactly what happened in the areas he is responsible.

A CEO doesn't get credit for everything good that his underlings do and then when it turns to sh*t it was someone else's responsibility. Either he's fully responsible, good and bad, or he's not. And if he's not then that's not good enough.

Didn't say you were any of those things. All I said was that as I replied to your earlier post, was that I did not take into account 2020 in relation to Xavier because of the impact I believe COVID likely had to that season.

You are also saying the exact same thing I am? If Xavier is responsible for game day failings (like some on here are saying) then he must also be responsible for the positives in membership growth, I'm simply pointing out that its a bit unfair to say he is to blame for one thing but then give the credit to someone else when someone is successful.

In regards to membership specifically, this is my problem with your take. He's responsible for the failings but not the positives? Disagree with that approach.

OMFG...

Alright dude, let's walk you through this at a GLACIAL pace.

YOU said that he got the club to 80k.

To which I responded that if you want to credit him for the 80k, than you also need to fault him for the subsequent 20k drop.

And you are telling me that I'm the one attributing responsibility one way, but not the other one.

I'm coining a new term.

Strawderp.

No matter who you replace at the top, its not going to stop the players themselves playing like rubbish.

Like hell it isn't.

I've spoken to at least one potential replacement, and he has a VERY different view on how the football department is to be run and measured.

OMFG...

Alright dude, let's walk you through this at a GLACIAL pace.

YOU said that he got the club to 80k.

To which I responded that if you want to credit him for the 80k, than you also need to fault him for the subsequent 20k drop.

And you are telling me that I'm the one attributing responsibility one way, but not the other one.

I'm coining a new term.

Strawderp.

Like hell it isn't.

I've spoken to at least one potential replacement, and he has a VERY different view on how the football department is to be run and measured.

If your telling me a new CEO will all of a Sudden make players do basic s**t like apply pressure and kick straight than sign me up. I'm in.

I also didn't say he wasn't responsible.............literally ALL I said was that I believe COVID was probably the main attributer.

Man there are hard people to please in here......do you want X to be part of game day planning or something?

the loss of members (well over half AFL clubs total lost membership %) + the debt we currently have can easily and probably mainly attributed to COVID.

Since X took over as CEO we have steadily increased membership and been in a strong financial position year on year since the drugs saga.

you are simplifying what i'm saying by paraphrasing it........

I am done now though. I clearly have a different opinion to you and what will be will be. Pretty sure we want the same thing at the end if the day, which is to win games of footy.

Last edited:

Didn't say you were any of those things. All I said was that as I replied to your earlier post, was that I did not take into account 2020 in relation to Xavier because of the impact I believe COVID likely had to that season.
You quoted me and then responded as if I had said those things. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person..?

You are also saying the exact same thing I am? If Xavier is responsible for game day failings (like some on here are saying) then he must also be responsible for the positives in membership growth, I'm simply pointing out that its a bit unfair to say he is to blame for one thing but then give the credit to someone else when someone is successful.
If you're saying that he is ultimately responsible for everything – good and bad – that happens during his tenure, then yes.

You quoted me and then responded as if I had said those things. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person..?

If you're saying that he is ultimately responsible for everything – good and bad – that happens during his tenure, then yes.

sorry - I must have? I was talking to Jade so I dunno could have incorrectly quoted.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Some word over here that the Crows job has been offered to Craig Vozzo. Xavier could be plan B in case Vozzo declines.
Xavier not even in the mix according to Crows officials I know over here.
They reckon it’s another made up Rucci article and reckon the club has shown no interest in Campbell whatsoever

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The CEO is in charge of the club reaching its mission. Has he done that? If he has, he’s a success, if he hasn’t he’s a failure.

If he’s met some of the mission but not all, does that mean he’s been ok or still a failure? I suppose that’s where one of the arguments is. Is he responsible for on-field success? Yes, he is.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
The CEO is in charge of the club reaching its mission. Has he done that? If he has, he’s a success, if he hasn’t he’s a failure.

If he’s met some of the mission but not all, does that mean he’s been ok or still a failure? I suppose that’s where one of the arguments is. Is he responsible for on-field success? Yes, he is.
What was the mission and what time frame was he given to achieve it?

I don't know enough to comment either way but he's had a fair run at it. Given our lack of success we're ok financially but we're a basketcase where it matters, onfield.

We now have a coach being given an unimpeded run so Xavier stays and we have an upwaed trajectory does it mean he has done well but if we stagnate it's on him?

Without insight to the KPIs and when the KPIs were implemented we're largely clueless.

What was the mission and what time frame was he given to achieve it?

I don't know enough to comment either way but he's had a fair run at it. Given our lack of success we're ok financially but we're a basketcase where it matters, onfield.

We now have a coach being given an unimpeded run so Xavier stays and we have an upwaed trajectory does it mean he has done well but if we stagnate it's on him?

Without insight to the KPIs and when the KPIs were implemented we're largely clueless.
Surely that would be strongly linked to the execution of the five year plan or whatever the club has atm?

Asada suspensions and covid have done a number on the realisation of our five year plans in the last few years, I guess.

There was still a season and someone still won it during covid though, in fact another Melbourne-based team who was also in hubs most of the year and had their share of off-field drama, so it’s not necessarily a good excuse.

drew_j

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fedor Emelianenko
I know I don't post, well, at all. So you can take this or leave it.

An exercise physiologist mate of mine runs his own business. He picked up a former EFC employee from the strength and conditioning area (or what ever its called). She left because because of sweeping pay cuts across the board at the club to satisfy the soft cap, apparently as a response to Worsfold's unwillingness to walk after Rutten got his contract. This (once again apparently) squeeze led to a number of the fitness staff leaving for greener pastures and weighted on Joe's decision to leave due to the perceived inability of the EFC to properly manage his chronic injury issues.

Now if true, and I say if because this is third hand by someone who may or may not be disgruntled. This is management ineptitude of mind boggling proportions. But given Campbell's tone deaf bungling of the player payment debacle, I certainly don't think it's impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.

An exercise physiologist mate of mine runs his own business. He picked up a former EFC employee from the strength and conditioning area (or what ever its called). She left because because of sweeping pay cuts across the board at the club to satisfy the soft cap, apparently as a response to Worsfold's unwillingness to walk after Rutten got his contract. This (once again apparently) squeeze led to a number of the fitness staff leaving for greener pastures and weighted on Joe's decision to leave due to the perceived inability of the EFC to properly manage his chronic injury issues.

Now if true, and I say if because this is third hand by someone who may or may not be disgruntled. This is management ineptitude of mind boggling proportions. But given Campbell's tone deaf bungling of the player payment debacle, I certainly don't think it's impossible.

It all sounds entirely plausible & certainly a major reason for Daniher wanting to leave was, right or wrongly, due to his injury management.

unless someone knows his KPI's than its kind of hard to say..........my best guess would be financials would far outweigh on field performance.

its a ticking timebomb regardless who is in charge.

the pressure is building year on year at Essendon the longer we go without any on field success.

16 years and counting without a single finals win is damning... will be immense pressure on rutten from the outset.

He doesn't have KPIs.

I sh*t you not.

how the * does a CEO not have KPI's?

if true than that's pretty damning.

how the fu** does a CEO not have KPI's?

Because Xavier is very good at getting people in to silos, and at managing upwards.

When pushed, the BOD could not define how it is they measured the performance of the CEO.

I hope that has changed since Brasher took over, but I'm not hopeful.

Because Xavier is very good at getting people in to silos, and at managing upwards.

When pushed, the BOD could not define how it is they measured the performance of the CEO.

I hope that has changed since Brasher took over, but I'm not hopeful.

you probably and clearly have better connections than i do, but if the CEO doesn't have clear KPI's than that's clearly an issue.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure where to put this, but I don't know what to feel about our partnership with CUB. What happened with Colonial Brewing? I'd rather us partner with local businesses over global conglomerate ran ones.

I’m guessing they didn’t want to renew / couldn’t renew / CUB offered a lot more cash

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

The story could be true but Daniher wanting out is probably unrelated and more to do with him wanting out of the Melbourne fish bowl.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
how the fu** does a CEO not have KPI's?

There was a strategic plan that detailed the clubs on and off field goals - those were ultimately his KPI.

You only need to see the org structure to understand he is responsible for onfield performance. Footy department reports to him therefore he is responsible for how it performs. Not week to week but certainly in the short to medium term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back