Analysis Amateur graphical look at interstate v vic games

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm saying Essendon fans don't attend home games against small clubs like GWS.

I thought you were saying West Coast had by some margin the most advantageous free kick advantage of any club in the league over time.

Richmond had the highest home crowds per game in the league in 2019. They also had the worst free kick differential in the league in 2019.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
I know (hope?) you're being facetious. but all this "proves" is that the Eagles are a well-run club (which everyone knows anyway) surrounded by clubs that dope, are racist, breach the salary cap, and are Freo, not that bias that favours the big Vic clubs doesn't exist in scheduling etc :)

Another Freo obsessed West Coke numpty.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought you were saying West Coast had by some margin the most advantageous free kick advantage of any club in the league over time.

Could you quote me on that?
Another Freo obsessed West Coke numpty.

Another sour Freo fan without a sense of humour. Thought it was obvious Freo wasn't in the same league as the dopers, salary cap cheats and racists, but oh well, I'll try to be less subtle next time.

I wonder if you could work out which clubs I was referring to there? I will tell you their supporters aren't having a sook though.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Also, in case it needs to be spelt out to anyone else, I've just been having fun once the thread was derailed by a troll.

Zero guesses as to how the derailment started:

In summary, you have scientifically proven no #VICBIAS. Please start thread on West Coast board while I make some popcorn.

Good work by the OP though :)

I feel I should point out here that I actually am heavily against the unfair scheduling of grand finals and prelims at the 'g, it is crazy rediculous. Worth pointing out here that this graph only has 12 data points to compare and work with, compared to the one and a half thousand in the first graph, which is my guess for why interstate sides aren't further behind than they are. I'm sure the FIXturing will definitely show up in the stats before (if) the MCG grand final contract ever expires...

Hard to follow. But clearly there isn't much advantage either way. I'm actually a little surprised. But then it's easy to make stories advantaging vic and non-vic teams. So I guess the various stories cancel each other out.

Thanks

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Prove him wrong. It will take more than 2 posts of flippant and dismissive eagle word salad. You are not even close. Bet you havent even read it.
I, for one completely agree with him.

turns out its victorians, winning consistently roughly 1 more game in the home and away season than you'd expect.
I feel I should point out here that I actually am heavily against the unfair scheduling of grand finals and prelims at the 'g, it is crazy rediculous.

Amen, brother

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You realise you responded to my post about a west coast supporters perspective?
You were referring to the op as him. I responded in kind and included the quotes I was agreeing with. It shouldn’t take Sherlock Holmes to decode the thing. I was one step short of including a picture for you

BillHickman

Stuntman
Feb 18, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
So it is scientific you say, why so? Just look at the period used, the number of teams involved ever changing. Analysis paralysis.

For those of us who are statistically literate, it is clear Swanks had corrected for changes in n over the time period investigated.
Using AFL tables raw data as Swanks did, I generated similar graphs and calculated SD and SEM which are not shown in Swanks post. This data shows from 1987 to 2020, there is clear statistical evidence (p>0.05) that there Is no bias towards Victorian teams regarding results for home and away games nor finals.
This data also showed booing every umpires decision, no matter how obviously correct, correlated (coefficient value 1.0) with having a single digit IQ.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
For those of us who are statistically literate, it is clear Swanks had corrected for changes in n over the time period investigated.
Using AFL tables raw data as Swanks did, I generated similar graphs and calculated SD and SEM which are not shown in Swanks post. This data shows from 1987 to 2020, there is clear statistical evidence (p>0.05) that there Is no bias towards Victorian teams regarding results for home and away games nor finals.
This data also showed booing every umpires decision, no matter how obviously correct, correlated (coefficient value 1.0) with having a single digit IQ.

statistically literate,well done you.
Visy recycle.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
If we expand to 20 with Tassie and Canberra, perhaps the fixture should take on the following Vic v Interstate formula to derive the 3 double up games that will still need to be played to get to 22.

Pair up the Interstate sides accordingly:

WA: WCE/Fre
SA: Adel/Port
NSW: Syd/GWS
QLD: Bris/GCS
South East: Tas/Canberra

Each season, one Vic side is paired with another Vic side. Each Vic pair is then assigned to one of the Interstate pairs above, and the group of 4 teams play their 3 double up games amongst each other. The Interstate sides get 2 derby games each season as they do now, while each Vic side will be guaranteed to play in one state/region(Tas/ACT) twice each season.

Vic sides rotate through their Vic counterparts, which would take 9 years.
Each individual Vic pair would rotate through the 5 states/regions.
All together.... 9 x 5 = would take 45 years to go through every permutation.

The negative of this formula (or perhaps not a negative?) is that the Interstate side would only play Non-Vic sides outside their state/region only once per season, so WA sides would only travel to QLD, NSW, and SA only once each in a given season, with 6 guaranteed trips to VIC (unless VIC home games are sold elsewhere, NT?).

Back