Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t see that happening.

If by some chance Carlton snagged Merrett as FA and Ess matched, Carlton would probably walk. No way they deal with Dodoro on that one
If that was the case then Carlton are better off not even asking the question to Merrett

Bombers have ample cap space to match a bid from Carlton and if the have a reasonable year and are offered pick 10-12 for Merrett then they will match the bid and force trade. After the Cameron fiasco clubs would now be looking very closely at matching

If that was the case then Carlton are better off not even asking the question to Merrett

Bombers have ample cap space to match a bid from Carlton and if the have a reasonable year and are offered pick 10-12 for Merrett then they will match the bid and force trade. After the Cameron fiasco clubs would now be looking very closely at matching

I’m intrigued if a club matches and the recruiting club doesn’t want to negotiate, do the selling club say to said player would to go anywhere because we want ample remuneration?

It really is a watch this space on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m intrigued if a club matches and the recruiting club doesn’t want to negotiate, do the selling club say to said player would to go anywhere because we want ample remuneration?

It really is a watch this space on that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the original club matches the contract, the player would have to agree to any trade.

If no trade is found he stays at his original team on the new deal

If the original club matches the contract, the player would have to agree to any trade.

If no trade is found he stays at his original team on the new deal

Or he can reject a trade and nominate for the draft but that rarely happens.

the value that carlton fans place on harry mckay surprises me a bit i must admit - he's no better / worse than sam weideman, who was taken one pick before him, at this stage

weed had grand plans to earn a big pay packet after his break-out performance in a couple of finals at the end of 2018, but obviously didn't come close to justifying his manager's ambit claims as to his relative worth for salary cap

mckay's extra 10cm of height is definitely a help to his role as a forward you'd think, but it'll be interesting to see how both players go in 2021 - mckay at least has the advantage that he's not going to miss probably the majority of the year with a pretty serious injury

the value that carlton fans place on harry mckay surprises me a bit i must admit - he's no better / worse than sam weideman, who was taken one pick before him, at this stage

weed had grand plans to earn a big pay packet after his break-out performance in a couple of finals at the end of 2018, but obviously didn't come close to justifying his manager's ambit claims as to his relative worth for salary cap

mckay's extra 10cm of height is definitely a help to his role as a forward you'd think, but it'll be interesting to see how both players go in 2021 - mckay at least has the advantage that he's not going to miss probably the majority of the year with a pretty serious injury
McKay is significantly better than Weideman.

Mckay is on the same level as sam weidman? You're 100% joking right?

McKay is significantly better than Weideman.

is he tho?

just thinking about last year when both were the 'key forwards' of their respective sides, both played 13 games, one kicked 19 goals the other 21, one had 17 i50s the other 15, one had 5 goal assists the other 1, one went at 66% disposal efficiency the other at 52.6%

i think both have a LOT to prove; mckay has the advantage over being fit heading in to 2021

I could be bias, but I think despite the similarities stats wise ... most clubs would pick McKay for their list (height, speed, contested marking, presence.).

The funny thing about the comparison is that SOS was a big fan of Weid's and wanted him with the pick we had earmarked for McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is he tho?

just thinking about last year when both were the 'key forwards' of their respective sides, both played 13 games, one kicked 19 goals the other 21, one had 17 i50s the other 15, one had 5 goal assists the other 1, one went at 66% disposal efficiency the other at 52.6%

i think both have a LOT to prove; mckay has the advantage over being fit heading in to 2021
I don't mean to be rude but at this point it just sounds like your typical melbourne supporter trying to convince the world that weidman has been anything more than a bust up until this point. If you asked all 18 coaches (including goodwin) who they'd choose between mckay and weidman you'd get the same answer every time.

He is 23 and has kicked 70 goals from 50 games. He takes a lot of marks but does he do a lot with the ball?

Maybe someone can point out his strengths other than being very tall?

He's fast, fantastic contested mark and forward presence.

He moves extremely well for a 204cm forward (although he really should have kicked this goal!)

I don't mean to be rude but at this point it just sounds like your typical melbourne supporter trying to convince the world that weidman has been anything more than a bust up until this point. If you asked all 18 coaches (including goodwin) who they'd choose between mckay and weidman you'd get the same answer every time.

probably so

i think both are a bit disappointing at this stage - weed in particular given the way he threatened to be a big game player after two solid finals performances in 2018

his body doesn't look like it'll ever hold up to afl pressure however

Bombers have ample cap space to match a bid from Carlton

And they could pay it.

I have no issue with making Essendon pay more for Merrett as it takes away from their Salary Cap.

That said, Essendon look like they're finally biting the bullet re rebuilding so if they said no to two 1sts, that's also good with me.

They need mids. Despite having a ton of early picks, they instead drafted a ton of talls, because the ones they have are old.

That's not the mark of a team looking to push up the ladder or address a deficiency in an established list. It's the mark of a team with one eye firmly on a rebuild.

Roughy had only kicked 58 goals from his first 58 games as a 23 year old. So at the moment, McKays around 50 percent better.

Jarryd Roughead of the Hawthorn Hawks Career AFL Stats (footywire.com)

Of course Roughead then went on to kick another 75 the following year, so there is that.

Roughy had won a flag and kicked 230 goals by the time he was 23. His first 58 games were between the age of 18 and 20. and he had kicked 68 goals.

He wasnt playing a lot of forward time in the first few years, BTW. He was used all over the ground. We had Buddy and Williams as our main forward targets.

As an aside, Buddy kicked 120 goals in his first 3 seasons. Then he started to hit his strike. As a 21 year old.

At 23, McKay's career is possibly half over.

They need mids. Despite having a ton of early picks, they instead drafted a ton of talls, because the ones they have are old.

That's not the mark of a team looking to push up the ladder or address a deficiency in an established list. It's the mark of a team with one eye firmly on a rebuild.

Could they not just play j martin and z williams in the middle with Walsh/cripps? Even saad

I get that you're a Melbourne supporter, but come on.

Just look at the second half of last year for example. He ranked 1st in the league for contested marks, and 2nd in the league (behind Hawkins) for average goals per game.

Definitely primed for a breakout year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back