VFL/East Coast Competition Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I read it as at least one AFL reserves team missed the finals every season?

Certainly, looking purely at the ladders and results, the NEAFL seemed like a good competitive league.

Yes sorry, that's what it meant to say.

My point was that the standalone NEAFL teams definitely gave the reserve teams a run for their money.

I've heard nothing about the fixture nor competition structure, but you can almost feel the scratching of heads about how this is going to work.
Our NEAFL was worked around mostly playing locally then venturing interstate for a few games...the 16 Rounds suggests that the fixture will be tailored - probably with some sort of conference finals arrangement.
It was tough for stand alone NEAFL clubs to compete against the backing of AFL clubs - how did stand-alone and aligned VFL clubs go matching it with the AFL clubs..?

Last edited:

Competition to be called VFL.
Each team will play 16 games and have 3 byes across 19 rounds
Season will start April 14th
top 8 final series
Fixture to be announced late Feb

Victorian football administrators are so ******* weird
Well they are, but I'm also not convinced this is some kind of parochial thing. It's probably just easier to fold the comp in to the VFL rather than working on a whole new rebranding and rewriting all the policies and procedures. With funds limited and the viability of this comp really unknown it could take a lot of work to start it all up only to have it all wasted within a couple of years.

If the competition is successful and is going to be around for more than a few years then they'll have to say goodbye to the VFL name and create something more representative of the league.

A multi-state reserves comp seems like a lot of dicking around to me. It's not a true reserves comp because WA and SA aren't in it, so it's not like games coincide with the AFL fixture. And most of the players aren't eligible for AFL selection anyway.

Having teams of amateur players fly back and forth between Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane Gold Coast is a lot of cost for not a lot of benefit.

Well they are, but I'm also not convinced this is some kind of parochial thing. It's probably just easier to fold the comp in to the VFL rather than working on a whole new rebranding and rewriting all the policies and procedures. With funds limited and the viability of this comp really unknown it could take a lot of work to start it all up only to have it all wasted within a couple of years.

If the competition is successful and is going to be around for more than a few years then they'll have to say goodbye to the VFL name and create something more representative of the league.

Sure, but based on history, any Victorian league that expands beyond its borders and remains viable has always remained vic-centric. There isn't a single example to the contrary so many outside of Vic will be disappointed because everything will just default to Vic.

Sure, but based on history, any Victorian league that expands beyond its borders and remains viable has always remained vic-centric. There isn't a single example to the contrary so many outside of Vic will be disappointed because everything will just default to Vic.
Apart from the VFL/AFL is there any other example of what you're talking about?

More people will be upset with the decline of the VFA than will care what this competition is called. People will just want to make sure it works. If they've saved time and effort renaming it for now and can put that money in to making it function that will be a good result. It can get a name change down the line.

Victorians either want there reserves playing in a strong comp or want their old VFA sides still around, I doubt the name is that important.

Apart from the VFL/AFL is there any other example of what you're talking about?

No. Something something sample size.

More people will be upset with the decline of the VFA than will care what this competition is called. People will just want to make sure it works. If they've saved time and effort renaming it for now and can put that money in to making it function that will be a good result. It can get a name change down the line.

Right, the AFL can't afford a rebrand right now but trust them, they'll totally get around to it.

Victorians either want there reserves playing in a strong comp or want their old VFA sides still around, I doubt the name is that important.

If it were not that important it would have been changed. This stinks of old Victorian clubs running the show.

It seriously is not hard to redesign a logo and add a name. There may be more to it but ultimately it's either that or the AFL don't actually see this as a long term thing and want to be able to return to a traditional VFL when it suits. That's the only argument for convenience here.

The exact same sentence could've been said in 1987. You would've been correct then, and you're probably correct now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A multi-state reserves comp seems like a lot of dicking around to me. It's not a true reserves comp because WA and SA aren't in it, so it's not like games coincide with the AFL fixture. And most of the players aren't eligible for AFL selection anyway.

Having teams of amateur players fly back and forth between Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane Gold Coast is a lot of cost for not a lot of benefit.
That sounds a lot like the AFLW :think:

Huge cost..... Benefits????

What should be the second best comp is being treated like crap.

There is a place for AFLW but not as the no.2 televised/promoted footy product it is and lets face it
the standard is shocking!

VFL or eastern should be televised and promoted as this is where future draft picks will come from and the standard
of play is very high.

Under 18 or TAC players good enough to get a game should be allowed to play and this would
give them an opportunity to play against men and mean much less speculation come draft time
as they can in SANFL and WAFL.

People would love to see the young draft hopefuls and more mature players that might be ready to take the next step.
As it is we see next to nothing .

In fact it should be a national seconds comp..... It is with the woman.

Curtain raiser games, mid week games....there are plenty of options and people would love it.

If the AFL put half of what they have into this as they do the woman it would be a huge success.

Players make massive financial sacrifices as they could be earning stacks more in local and bush footy.

They play primarily to keep the dream alive and the training / commitment level required is almost AFL level.

It is SO WRONG....... :mad:

Last edited:
To be honest I am against this idea. I personally like the idea of leaving the VFL as it is, but creating a national reserves league consisting of 9 teams, each team made up of the reserves of two AFL clubs. That would create a high quality competition where players can properly show if they are good enough for the AFL.

I just feel like as soon as we have a National AFL Reserve's Competition for both the male & female counterparts, we can finally develop competitions for players outside of the best 22 of their professional clubs in the AFL wanting to develop and improve their skills to the coaches against other similar rated players, and to also create a proper Victorian Football League in Victoria for once, for semi professional players and also underage players as well as this can be done by merging the NAB U18 League to the VFL similar to how the SANFL & WAFL are operated these days from the junior age groups to the senior league.

Don't get me wrong. The realisation of the national reserves competition idea for both genders is probably dead and probably not sustainable for another 10-20 years now due to COVID costs and logistics and all that, but it really does need to happen in the distant future after the clubs, league & AFLHQ have fully recover from this pandemic IMO before any new teams come into the main league so a clear pathway can be created and formed for everyone at all levels of the playing pyramid from junior players in the community level to the elite players at the national level of the league, and to all those in-between playing at a amateur or semi-professional levels in those community or state-wide leagues.

To be honest I am against this idea. I personally like the idea of leaving the VFL as it is, but creating a national reserves league consisting of 9 teams, each team made up of the reserves of two AFL clubs. That would create a high quality competition where players can properly show if they are good enough for the AFL.
Is there a single club that would have any interest in that at all? How do you develop young talls from competing teams, it would be a disaster.

Every AFL side would want proper reserves if they could have it, but the cost benefit isn't there when the state league system has worked very well. The NEAFL didn't quite get to the level required, so they've folded it in to the VFL. That's about the best case result for now.

A couple of fairly likely scenarios that will kill that idea.

2 gun KPFs which both teams want to play in the same position (FF?) and the 'independent' coach seems to prefer the other teams guy...

2 players from opposing sides develop chemistry (like 2 KPFs working together) and one gets poached by the other club so they can work together at AFL level.

I just feel like as soon as we have a National AFL Reserve's Competition for both the male & female counterparts, we can finally develop competitions for players outside of the best 22 of their professional clubs in the AFL wanting to develop and improve their skills to the coaches against other similar rated players, and to also create a proper Victorian Football League in Victoria for once, for semi professional players and also underage players as well as this can be done by merging the NAB U18 League to the VFL similar to how the SANFL & WAFL are operated these days from the junior age groups to the senior league.

Don't get me wrong. The realisation of the national reserves competition idea for both genders is probably dead and probably not sustainable for another 10-20 years now due to COVID costs and logistics and all that, but it really does need to happen in the distant future after the clubs, league & AFLHQ have fully recover from this pandemic IMO before any new teams come into the main league so a clear pathway can be created and formed for everyone at all levels of the playing pyramid from junior players in the community level to the elite players at the national level of the league, and to all those in-between playing at a amateur or semi-professional levels in those community or state-wide leagues.
Agree definetly think we will eventually move to a national reserves comp

where both fixtures are identical so you travel as a whole squad each week

Steve Hocking speaking absolute sh*t about why the name is still VFL.
******* stupid.

It is a minor thing but it is just another example of Victorian bias by the AFL.

By all rights this should be called the East Coast Football League (ECFL) because that is what best describes it, but of course they have to go for an option that favours Victoria.

It is not a minor thing.
It is a comp for Eastern Seaboard with teams from three states only having the name of one state in the competitions title for stupidly stated reasons by Steve Hocking.
It is ******* stupid. Plain and simple.

I do agree, it spits of arrogance, again assuming that Victoria is somehow more deserving. The AFL don't even try and hide their bias most of the time but this is just as explicit in terms of bias as the Grand Final at the MCG for the next 350,000 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back