FB: Brown Butts MacPherson
HB: Doedee (if fit) XX Smith
C: Sholl M Crouch XX
HF: Walker XX Lynch
FF: McAdam XX XX

1R: ROB Sloane Laird

INT: Milera, Schoenberg, XX, XX

Unavailable: Talia

Now, I think we should only be picking one of Walker/Lynch, but we know that won't happen.
I think that leaves us with 7 positions. At least one needs to be a tall defender, and one a key forward.

Those in contention/most likely for the vacant positions:
Himmelberg - most likely the CHF/Key forward.
Keays - Love his effort, but still think he's limited. I'd rather see a more promising player (one with a higher cieling) like Pedlar.
Hamill - wing/HB rotation? Needs to get more of the ball to push his claims.
Hately - another inside mid? Can we fit him in if Sloane plays?
Rowe - likely small forward starter
Murphy - competing with Rowe. We know what he brings, so lets play Rowe instead
McAsey - CHB? Do we have other options?
Thilthorpe - mainly a forward. Unlikely round 1 I think, but possible. Not quite ready yet, but will get games in 2021 for sure.
Fogarty - I don't get why anyone thinks he is a CHF. He's an old fashioned lead, mark, kick FF. That's it. Unfortunately for him that isn't todays game, and you simply can't play him and Walker at the same time.
Worrell - Could be a flexible choice. Can play as a defender. Maybe a good match up for J Cameron? Could play other roles as well.
Davis - looked promising as a defender. If Doedee isn't fit, could get a surprise call up.
McHenry - Loved what he did in the internal. Impacts the game with his energy. If he is strong in the next few weeks, might surprise.
Jones - started to look good. If forms stays up, will be hard to overlook.
Pedlar - looked great. Can he maintain it? A big chance
Berry - very similar to Pedlar. Pedlar maybe just in front, but Berry is pushing.
Borlase - did well, but not ready yet
Frampton - played well, but no.
Newchurch - exciting but a way to go yet
OTHERS - not yet.

So, that is a long list of possibles. There are some the club would love to secure their spot but haven't yet. The selections will be really interesting over the next two weeks.

Here is how we could line up (assuming Doedee is fit and Talia isn't)

HB: Doedee McAsey Smith

C: Sholl M Crouch Jones

HF: Pedlar Himmelberg Lynch

FF: McAdam Walker Rowe

1R: ROB Laird Milera

INT: Sloane, Schoenberg, Keays, Worrell

Really unlucky for Hately & McHenry.
I'm locking McAsey in and leaving him there. He's a high end talent, let's let him play and let him find his way.

My biggest concern going in to the season is that if we keep playing Walker (Fogarty), Lynch (Davis/Worrell) & Sloane (Hately, McHenry, Berry etc) at the same time, we are actually limiting the development of the team. Yes you need some of them, but playing all of them is actually negligent I think.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm tipping Borlase could play that role.
From what I've seen he's very disciplined, has good concentration and complete awareness of his opponents whereabouts.
If given an opportunity he'll be a solid contributor who'll give his opposition player little leeway.
He's a smart player.
His agility testing is quite good, but he doesn't display that on the footy field ....can be turned a bit too easy currently

Can't see Borlaise doing as well as Kelly TBH

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Competition in the SANFL side will be red hot with many of the youngsters striving for a spot in the AFL side. I expect to see a very dominant crows SANFL side this year AND hopefully players in the league side purely on merit
Really ?? I see the opposite actually.

There will be week where we are brilliant and others where we get bashed by the more experienced sides in rubbish weather. We've got very little experience in the 2s..... And next to no KPDs.

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How I think it looks right now:

The locks:

Now, I think we should only be picking one of Walker/Lynch, but we know that won't happen.
I think that leaves us with 7 positions. At least one needs to be a tall defender, and one a key forward.

Keays - Love his effort, but still think he's limited. I'd rather see a more promising player (one with a higher cieling) like Pedlar.
Thilthorpe - mainly a forward. Unlikely round 1 I think, but possible. Not quite ready yet, but will get games in 2021 for sure.
Fogarty - I don't get why anyone thinks he is a CHF. He's an old fashioned lead, mark, kick FF. That's it. Unfortunately for him that isn't todays game, and you simply can't play him and Walker at the same time.
Worrell - Could be a flexible choice. Can play as a defender. Maybe a good match up for J Cameron? Could play other roles as well.
Davis - looked promising as a defender. If Doedee isn't fit, could get a surprise call up.
McHenry - Loved what he did in the internal. Impacts the game with his energy. If he is strong in the next few weeks, might surprise.
Berry - very similar to Pedlar. Pedlar maybe just in front, but Berry is pushing.
OTHERS - not yet.

So, that is a long list of possibles. There are some the club would love to secure their spot but haven't yet. The selections will be really interesting over the next two weeks.

I'm locking McAsey in and leaving him there. He's a high end talent, let's let him play and let him find his way.

My biggest concern going in to the season is that if we keep playing Walker (Fogarty), Lynch (Davis/Worrell) & Sloane (Hately, McHenry, Berry etc) at the same time, we are actually limiting the development of the team. Yes you need some of them, but playing all of them is actually negligent I think.
Good team and really shows how hard it will be picking the side for R1. Looking forward to this weekends game to see if it was a flash in the pan for some players in the internal or if players like Walker really will play before Fogarty who has put in a mountain of work.

Hoping McHenry puts in another great game and takes that HFF spot.

I think its a battle between Hately and Keays atm. Both super fit, strong contested players. Will be an interesting to see if both are picked for this weeks 1sts side.

Would love Worrall to have another good game. Not sure he plays R1 but its up to him. Same goes for Pedlar who I think is fighting against Shoenberg for that FWD/MID/Bench spot.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Good team and really shows how hard it will be picking the side for R1. Looking forward to this weekends game to see if it was a flash in the pan for some players in the internal or if players like Walker really will play before Fogarty who has put in a mountain of work.

I think its a battle between Hately and Keays atm. Both super fit, strong contested players. Will be an interesting to see if both are picked for this weeks 1sts side.

Would love Worrall to have another good game. Not sure he plays R1 but its up to him. Same goes for Pedlar who I think is fighting against Shoenberg for that FWD/MID/Bench spot.
I'd say Keays and Hately will both play, and it anyone misses it'll be Keays I think.

Hately didn't get brought in to start in the 2s

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Is there any way Walker could be repurposed to be Centre Half Back for the remainder of his career? He is good enough to be in the team - but his output over the last 3 seasons is not good enough to hinder the forward development of Fogarty and Himmelberg.

His foot skills and vision are as good as any in the AFL. If the move worked - he'd offer a different dynamic from the half back line and another option besides Smith, who could launch an attack by foot with an accurate penetrating 50+ metre kick. Not to mention the leadership he could offer - especially if Talia is injured.

Under Pyke, we were unbelievably inflexible when it came to playing positions. Nicks showed some versatility last year and was well rewarded with the move of Laird on to the ball. Instead of another half back flanker, Laird goes in to season 2022 as a genuine midfielder and offers the team more flexibility.

I'd love to see them try it. Walker has been a great player for the club, but the best we could hope for is 1 decent game in 3 and it is time to see if Himmelberg and Fogarty can take that next step, alongside McAdam.

Round 1 (unavailable Talia, Stengle and Cook):

B: Brown McAsey McPherson
HB: Doedee Walker Smith
C: Sholl Crouch Sloane
HF: Lynch Himmelberg Jones
F: McAdam Fogarty Rowe
R: O'Reilly Keays Laird
I: Thilthorpe Hately Schoenberg Milera

Reserves:

B: Kelly Borlase Gollant
HB: Hinge Butts Hamill
C: Seedsman Pedlar Mackay
HF: Davis Worrell Berry
F: Murphy Frampton Newchurch
R: Strachan O'Connor McHenry
I:

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

I'd say Keays and Hately will both play, and it anyone misses it'll be Keays I think.

Hately didn't get brought in to start in the 2s
I agree with both. I just can't see how Hately plays. Can we really have a midfield with M Crouch, Sloane and Hately in it? It's just too slow.
If Hately & Keays play, then Pedlar misses which would be a shame.

Personally I just can't find a justifiable spot for Sloane! It's awful, but it's true.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Is there any way Walker could be repurposed to be Centre Half Back for the remainder of his career? He is good enough to be in the team - but his output over the last 3 seasons is not good enough to hinder the forward development of Fogarty and Himmelberg.

His foot skills and vision are as good as any in the AFL. If the move worked - he'd offer a different dynamic from the half back line and another option besides Smith, who could launch an attack by foot with an accurate penetrating 50+ metre kick. Not to mention the leadership he could offer - especially if Talia is injured.

Under Pyke, we were unbelievably inflexible when it came to playing positions. Nicks showed some versatility last year and was well rewarded with the move of Laird on to the ball. Instead of another half back flanker, Laird goes in to season 2022 as a genuine midfielder and offers the team more flexibility.

I'd love to see them try it. Walker has been a great player for the club, but the best we could hope for is 1 decent game in 3 and it is time to see if Himmelberg and Fogarty can take that next step, alongside McAdam.

Round 1 (unavailable Talia, Stengle and Cook):

B: Brown McAsey McPherson
HB: Doedee Walker Smith
C: Sholl Crouch Sloane
HF: Lynch Himmelberg Jones
F: McAdam Fogarty Rowe
R: O'Reilly Keays Laird
I: Thilthorpe Hately Schoenberg Milera

Reserves:

B: Kelly Borlase Gollant
HB: Hinge Butts Hamill
C: Seedsman Pedlar Mackay
HF: Davis Worrell Berry
F: Murphy Frampton Newchurch
R: Strachan O'Connor McHenry
I:
I fear it is too late for that Walker trial.

His main asset is his smarts as a player, but as a defender he is likely to be exposed. Consider round 1 - could he play on Hawkins? No, Hawkins would kill him. So J Cameron? Tex wouldn't get within 25 m of him.
He's a forward. That's it.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really ?? I see the opposite actually.

There will be week where we are brilliant and others where we get bashed by the more experienced sides in rubbish weather. We've got very little experience in the 2s..... And next to no KPDs.
maybe, but I see it that we have a big bunch of youngsters that have a whole lot of enthusiasm and the entire club has had AFL level coaches over the preseason. I just think that the youngsters will be very very keen to get into the senior side and will know that good form at local level will be required. I just think our youth looks better now than it has for some time.

But you could also be right

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I agree with both. I just can't see how Hately plays. Can we really have a midfield with M Crouch, Sloane and Hately in it? It's just too slow.

Personally I just can't find a justifiable spot for Sloane! It's awful, but it's true.
If it's a choice between Sloane and Keays then it's not a choice, it's Sloane every day of the week.

But you're right, we need to get games into Pedlar and Berry.... Even O'Connor at some stage.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If it's a choice between Sloane and Keays then it's not a choice, it's Sloane every day of the week.

But you're right, we need to get games into Pedlar and Berry.... Even O'Connor at some stage.
TBH i'd be happy to sub Berry or Pedlar into Murphy's role right now! And that's nothing against Murphy, i'm wildly impressed at what he's been able to achieve from how far back he started. Its just IMO he's reached his ceiling, and its borderline best 22 pressure forward.

Berry and Pedlar are both clearly higher ceiling players. If it were me i'd be putting the games into those 2 over Murphy, and telling them to build their tank and provide relentless pressure in the forward line (and maybe give them some 3-4 min cameo's in the guts). Play 1 for 5-6 weeks and then the other!

No way is Sloane not playing unless injured.

I would be changing Sloane & Hately between the forward line & midfield.

Need to ensure we have the right mix at any bounce.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
No way is Sloane not playing unless injured.

I would be changing Sloane & Hately between the forward line & midfield.

Need to ensure we have the right mix at any bounce.
It's not just at a bounce though. Do you really want Crouch, Sloane and Laird in the middle? Crouch, Hately and Laird? There are just too many slowish inside mids. It's a worry, especially around the ground. How well do you think those 3 would go on the spread when chasing?

It just worries me as I think Hately has a 200 game career ahead and Sloane is the one who looks out of place in that midfield.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and the Sloane we all know and love is back. It would make a huge difference to our team.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's not just at a bounce though. Do you really want Crouch, Sloane and Laird in the middle? Crouch, Hately and Laird? There are just too many slowish inside mids. It's a worry, especially around the ground. How well do you think those 3 would go on the spread when chasing?

It just worries me as I think Hately has a 200 game career ahead and Sloane is the one who looks out of place in that midfield.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and the Sloane we all know and love is back. It would make a huge difference to our team.
Pace is an issue, but over the last however many years our structure and setups has been the bigger problem

How I think it looks right now:

The locks:

OTHERS - not yet.

I take it that's a moment when you ask a question that sounds smart in your mind, but doesn't when said out loud.

Hately is a 191 cm/91 kg midfielder (Torpedro posted numbers from last week, which I'm inclined to believe). Sloane is 183 cm/83 kg. Not only that, but the only times our midfield has been genuinely competitive in the past four years, bar a small burst in early 2017, it has required a player built like Hately to be in our inside mix. It's been that required that even an incredibly limited player in CEY had this impact in early 2019.

You can not only fit Hately and Sloane in the same side, you absolutely need a Hately or an O'Connor to be in that set up if you want us to be even remotely competitive. They're your genuinely big-bodied midfielders, and a line up that doesn't have one of those two in it is a terrible lineup for the tools we have at our disposal.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I take it that's a moment when you ask a question that sounds smart in your mind, but doesn't when said out loud.

Hately is a 191 cm/91 kg midfielder. Sloane is 183 cm/83 kg. Not only that, but the only times our midfield has been genuinely competitive in the past four years, bar a small burst in early 2017, it has required a player built like Hately to be in our inside mix. It's been that required that even an incredibly limited player in CEY had this impact in early 2019.

You can not only fit Hately and Sloane in the same side, you absolutely need a Hately or an O'Connor to be in that set up if you want us to be even remotely competitive. They're your genuinely big-bodied midfielders.
So you think we can have a midfield rotation that includes Crouch, Sloane, Keays and Hately? Your not worried about the number of inside mids? I am.
Unfortunately, I think we have to accepts that Sloane has lost his run. His legs aren't the same. So effectively he's just a bash and crash inside mid.

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
WOW

If that's the new rule in action going to be a record year for 50m penalties and goals.

FFS AFL stop ******* with the game

I like the new rule, in theory at least. The mark is a spot, not a line five meters wide. It is not hard to stay still on the mark. If you move sideways to cut off angles, you’ll get pinged. It will hopefully allow more attacking ball movement.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I like the new rule, in theory at least. The mark is a spot, not a line five meters wide. It is not hard to stay still on the mark. If you move sideways to cut off angles, you’ll get pinged. It will hopefully allow more attacking ball movement.
I don't, I think it's an abortion....leave the game alone.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
WOW

If that's the new rule in action going to be a record year for 50m penalties and goals.

FFS AFL stop ******* with the game

What an absolute shambles. That is going to be utter stupidity. Are you allowed to weave your arms or is it statue time? So dumb.
Poor umpires trying to police it. Great way for the umpires to be able to manipulate results though.

We had proper umpires on the weekend right? Because I saw plenty of movement on the mark and don't remember it being penalised once??

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Updated R1 side after internal trial:
Injuries: Talia, Doedee

Brown McAsey/Butts McPherson
Smith Worrell Milera
Sholl MCrouch Berry/Hamill
McAdam Himmelberg Sloane
Rowe Thilthorpe Jones

ROB Laird Schoenberg

Keays Pedlar Walker Kelly/Hinge

Emergencies:
Lynch Fogarty Hately Seedsman

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Until you realise the crows give up 8 50m penalties that result in 8 goals to the opposition and we aren't getting the same calls for us.

This is way to give umpires a way to make sure big Vic teams win a close one against an interstate club

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Updated R1 side after internal trial:
Injuries: Talia, Doedee

Brown McAsey/Butts McPherson
Smith Worrell Milera
Sholl MCrouch Berry/Hamill
McAdam Himmelberg Sloane
Rowe Thilthorpe Jones

ROB Laird Schoenberg

Keays Pedlar Walker Kelly/Hinge

Emergencies:
Lynch Fogarty Hately Seedsman
If we're basing things on the internal trial then Hamill isn't making the side, and Hately isn't missing.

Back