Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is a nobody politically these days - an irrelevance for over 20 years now. His only microphone comes from being Hawthorn president and he uses the club to amplify his criticisms of the state government. And he has acknowledged this is to the detriment of the football club, but he does it anyway. His position is untenable.

Between wilfully biting hands that feed and publicly threatening the existence of the Hawthorn footy club in its present and historical form, I do wonder what great benefit people think he is now bringing to the club.

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
yeah, here’s our brilliant president once again keeping it all about the HFC.

Just utterly brilliant PR for the Hawthorn brand once more from this antiquated political has-been.

but of course, you have no issue with this because you value his politics over the Hawthorn football club.

Disappointed he wasn't also waving one of those giant brown-and-gold cheersquad pompom things during this interview, just to really drive home the point about who he's representing.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors

Just utterly brilliant PR for the Hawthorn brand once more from this antiquated political has-been.

but of course, you have no issue with this because you value his politics over the Hawthorn football club.

Thank goodness the club has 80k Lib voters, right? :rolleyes:
I take issue with him wearing anything club-related during non-football discussions nowadays. You represent the club on football-related matters, absolutely nothing else Jeff..

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

... cos the libs left a destructive ‘side deal’ there as well. And don’t believe Kennett isn’t up to his armpits in it still

He was also there when the original deal was signed. That’s when the die was set. Successive governments would be able to change 10% of the original at most

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I didn’t hear the interview so someone may correct me but I did read that he was asked “Would HFC (play more games or relocate) to Tassie ?”
Not sure which as I didn’t think much of it.
To which he replied “nothings out of the question”

All of a sudden Jeff said as fact that we would consider relocating

As I said, someone may have heard the interview & can give a more accurate summary

He didn’t clarify it too vigorously

Mr Abusive again
He's done much more for Hawthorn than most

Bob, third request. Please enlighten us as to why you’re right and why the chorus here are wrong. With facts and figures please - not sweeping statements.

Failing this - feel free to stop posting blind support that’s clearly political only.

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reeves on SEN said Jeff’s comments were taken out of context, and that Jeff has come out and explained the reasons for his comments

Must’ve missed that:shrug:
We must be deperate for the sponsorship $$$ the Tassie government provides.
It is like our administration has gone into damage control all because a state wants their very own team.

Nang

Hawks Hammers
Oct 15, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why does it seems like the club is caught off guard by Tasmania pushing for their own team? It's been pretty obvious for a long time that when Tassie got it's own side, we would need an alternate major sponsor and 4 extra home games strategy. How do we have no contingency in place for this?

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bob, third request. Please enlighten us as to why you’re right and why the chorus here are wrong. With facts and figures please - not sweeping statements.

Failing this - feel free to stop posting blind support that’s clearly political only.
What.. you don't understand how Kennett has been intimately involved in the HFC success.
Probably explains the pile on.
Start with reading and understanding the Club's history. Then compare to present.

Last edited:
What.. you don't understand how Kennett has been intimately involved in the HFC success.
Start with reading and understanding the Club's history. Then compare to present.

Honestly - don’t come on here and say that people are wrong and haters and then have literally nothing to back up your argument outside some meaningless statements. I’ve asked you and the Jeff acolytes for justification of your points and you’re all silent. You toddle off and let us demand better from the president of our football club.

Mr Abusive again
He's done much more for Hawthorn than most
There’s literally nothing abusive about my post. But go off.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1614079403733.png

Nov 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What I don't understand is how his previous noteworthy efforts somehow make him eternally immune from criticism.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What about now - or in the last 2 years?

I agree his first stint as President was successful and that he handed over to an excellent successor in Newbold (who himself neglected to do likewise). I also accept that it was appropriate to have a stable and experienced hand take over to steady the ship after the Garvey debacle. I didn’t oppose Kennett resuming as President.

I am not blinded by politics (Jeff has been politically irrelevant my entire adult life) or by my personal taste for the man. I care about the club and what is best for it. There have been times when that has been Kennett.

But like McGuire and countless others in positions of leadership, there is a use-by date. Jeff is well past his. He now actively hurts the club: he threatens its existence; embarrasses it; damages the brand; continues to self-indulgently pick fights with key government funders during a recession and a major financial commitment for the club; and is constantly picking fights he doesn’t win with the AFL.

What are the successes you say he has brought to the club in the last 2 years that offset the significant harm he is now doing ?In dozens of pages I have read nothing to support a view he is currently good for the club or good for its future

I've argued a lot in this thread that I'm happy for him to have his politics, and be president of the footy club - provided that everyone understands where one ends and the other begins, and he makes that clear.

This is him doing the exact opposite of that.

As a member I'm willing to look past some of his shortcomings because of the importance in having club presidents that will stand against the AFL when required, at this point there are far too many of those shortcomings. Flippant attitude towards the future of the club, no obvious concerted effort to find his replacement, dragging the club into his political commentary - I'm pretty well convinced now, new blood is required.

I've argued a lot in this thread that I'm happy for him to have his politics, and be president of the footy club - provided that everyone understands where one ends and the other begins, and he makes that clear.

This is him doing the exact opposite of that.

As a member I'm willing to look past some of his shortcomings because of the importance in having club presidents that will stand against the AFL when required, at this point there are far too many of those shortcomings. Flippant attitude towards the future of the club, no obvious concerted effort to find his replacement, dragging the club into his political commentary - I'm pretty well convinced now, new blood is required.
Yep, I was once a Jeff fan, but he’s dragging the Hawthorn brand into far too much s**t that doesn’t involve us. He needs to go.

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
I can't believe we have some people defending Jeff here. All he is doing is damaging our brand & thinking about himself. Dinosaurs like Jeff need to go.

The Tassie comment is 1 thing but how are we ever going to get the funding we desperately need when this is the kind of drivel he is throwing out there?

It is incredibly selfish & stupid.

Back