AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, they do. There are plenty in Netball fuuuuming over it. There's nothing they could do against a government backed monolith like the AFL.

The flip side is, those other sports have peaked for their professional potential for women in Australia, the only option really is to take part in the biggest professional sports codes.
There's no doubt the other sports are hurt by AFLW. On the other side there's no denying it's bringing more young girls into doing sports (or continuing sports). As a nation we've got way too many overweight and unfit adults. Anything that has a positive influence on reducing this is to be backed. AFLW is the biggest push to young female participation in who knows how long.

I just want Port to hurry up and get a side so a) we get some grants before all the money thrown at it drys up and b) we stop leaking fans/members to the crows from families with daughters, who'd otherwise be natural Port followers.

Why? The talent wasn't there in SA. Look at participation numbers before AFLW and Queensland and NSW were way ahead of SA. Its why they along with Vic and WA were in Div 1 at the national championships and SA was a mid field Div 2 team.

The SANFL unlike the WAFC and AFLQ and AFLNSW/ACT didn't put any real resources into game development for women and girls.

As a part time comp you want teams to pick the majority of players who can live in their home state and continue their jobs and study after the season finishes.

Adelaide have managed a Premiership or two and have probably been the best performed side since the inception of the AFLW so there must have been a reasonable talent pool in SA.

Last edited:

Women's footy is still Ports tier levels of having possession of the footy in a scoring position and getting 0.0 or 0.1 out of it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Barring the odd lopsided game involving a strong team beating up on a poorly performing expansion team, the AFLW is barely lower scoring per minute than the AFL.

Also, pretty sure a bunch of people who bemoan the low scores in the AFLW laud low scoring AFLM games as being "great defence" and resist any attempts to change the rules to increase scoring.

Barring the odd lopsided game involving a strong team beating up on a poorly performing expansion team, the AFLW is barely lower scoring per minute than the AFL.

Also, pretty sure a bunch of people who bemoan the low scores in the AFLW laud low scoring AFL games as being "great defence" and resist any attempts to change the rules to increase scoring.

Great defence and being unco are 2 different things.

Also, pretty sure a bunch of people who bemoan the low scores in the AFLW laud low scoring AFL games as being "great defence" and resist any attempts to change the rules to increase scoring.

Do people actually do this? I thought low scoring affairs were universally hated. Isn't this the reason the AFL keeps introducing changes to the game, to increase flow and scoring?

Do people actually do this? I thought low scoring affairs were universally hated. Isn't this the reason the AFL keeps introducing changes to the game, to increase flow and scoring?
I thought the AFL introducing changes to the game was universally hated.

<--------------------

Some of the best games I've ever seen have been intense wet weather slogs with a final score of 55-48

These are of course pre-Gillon and his moron brigade tinkering with things.

You might be the first then. Wet weather football is always ugly and almost everyone I've ever met hates what Roos' and Lyon's coaching tactics ultimately did to the game in the mid-late 00s.

I'm not saying that only huge bags of zooper goals is what makes the game great either but there is a sweet spot between hard-slog and shoot out.

That said, there's a huge difference between that hypothetical scoreline you put up and what we're seeing in AFLW.

You might be the first then. Wet weather football is always ugly and almost everyone I've ever met hates what Roos' and Lyon's coaching tactics ultimately did to the game in the mid-late 00s.

I'm not saying that only huge bags of zooper goals is what makes the game great either but there is a sweet spot between hard-slog and shoot out.

That said, there's a huge difference between that hypothetical scoreline you put up and what we're seeing in AFLW.
Per minute played?

I'm not sure that's true if we are looking at average scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt the other sports are hurt by AFLW. On the other side there's no denying it's bringing more young girls into doing sports (or continuing sports). As a nation we've got way too many overweight and unfit adults. Anything that has a positive influence on reducing this is to be backed. AFLW is the biggest push to young female participation in who knows how long.
Is it really? Or is it just the same overall numbers but now more are turning up to Australian Rules Football teams instead of other sports...

Adelaide have managed a Premiership or two and have probably been the best performed side since the inception of the AFLW so there must have been a reasonable talent pool in SA.
Or they've just managed to recruit an talented athlete from overseas that in the leagues infancy is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Having coached women and girls for the past 5 years or so, the standard changes have been immense. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it), I still end up with half a team of experienced players and half of novices.

This is a huge step up (of course) from when we started and had only one or two whose father would teach them to kick as kids. And simply learning to catch took a big chunk of pre season.

The starting point becomes more and more sophisticated every year.

The issues with netballers coming over are real though, its where our most capable new players come from, skills transfer amongst sports is obvious, and it's not cool really. I try to encourage them to keep playing (though the netball injury toll is tremendous).

Having coached women and girls for the past 5 years or so, the standard changes have been immense. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it), I still end up with half a team of experienced players and half of novices.

This is a huge step up (of course) from when we started and had only one or two whose father would teach them to kick as kids. And simply learning to catch took a big chunk of pre season.

The starting point becomes more and more sophisticated every year.

The issues with netballers coming over are real though, its where our most capable new players come from, skills transfer amongst sports is obvious, and it's not cool really. I try to encourage them to keep playing (though the netball injury toll is tremendous).

Strong sporting country towns are struggling to field the required numbers for netball nowadays. Girls wanting to play football is far and away the biggest reason.

Strong sporting country towns are struggling to field the required numbers for netball nowadays. Girls wanting to play football is far and away the biggest reason.

I'd say that's a win.

Girls are wanting to play a sport they prefer and enjoy more. Imo AFL is a better sport than netball to play and watch despite Steve Hocking's best attempts to change that.

I'd say that's a win.

Girls are wanting to play a sport they prefer and enjoy more. Imo AFL is a better sport than netball to play and watch despite Steve Hocking's best attempts to change that.

Choice is of course a good thing, but a lot of it is marketing and novelty to take them from the sports they currently love.

If soccer decided to really make a move on Australia and pumped billions in giving out freebies paying 30 times the wages that footy players get, getting government money to build mega facilities etc. (or NRL to SA), does that suddenly make it a better game, or a better marketed and more powerful one using its resources to bully them down?

Choice is of course a good thing, but a lot of it is marketing and novelty to take them from the sports they currently love.

If soccer decided to really make a move on Australia and pumped billions in giving out freebies paying 30 times the wages that footy players get, getting government money to build mega facilities etc. (or NRL to SA), does that suddenly make it a better game, or a better marketed and more powerful one using its resources to bully them down?
Soccer is an awesome game and they are free to do what they want. I'd love to see Australia win a World Cup one day.

I'd say anybody that truly loves football is gonna continue playing that regardless of marketing.

The bigger issue I guess here is government funding (ie taxpayer money) going to one sport over another without legitimate reason.

I've not seen any attempts by the AFL to change rules to increase scoring, just nonsense things.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

No one has ever stopped people playing soccer in this country. We did stop girls playing footy. Would netball be as strong as it is/was if it wasn’t just about the only choice for many girls?

Women are swapping sports for only 30k a year. So is footy a better sport? Is there so little money in women’s sport that 30k is attractive? Did they want to play footy all along? Is footy just the shiny nice new sport with the best media coverage?

It’s probably some or all of these things and more.

Also the NRL did bring a team to SA.

The mighty Rams.

They ****ed off pretty quickly with their tails between their legs.

No one has ever stopped people playing soccer in this country. We did stop girls playing footy. Would netball be as strong as it is/was if it wasn’t just about the only choice for many girls?

Women are swapping sports for only 30k a year. So is footy a better sport? Is there so little money in women’s sport that 30k is attractive? Did they want to play footy all along? Is footy just the shiny nice new sport with the best media coverage?

It’s probably some or all of these things and more.

In the hypothetical, Soccer comes in and smashes the offers from footy out of the water by offering ludicrous amounts (eg. Rozee gets offered 2 million a year).
Soccer also saturates the airwaves and newspapers by paying them off for wall to wall coverage etc.

There have definitely been cultural and financial barriers to soccer.

They wont because they don't care and it isn't a centralised sport like footy.

The second point...yes! To an extent.

Should footy care? Probably not, but to ignore it is to ignore many years of real people, mostly female, investing time and love into a sport that always included them, that is being disregarded and sold down the river by a male dominated industry (and government) in the guise of empowerment.

As mentioned earlier (and you know this to an extent). I have been at the coal face of women's footy since before AFLW was a thing. I have had plenty of meetings with netball coaches and clubs and my heart genuinely goes out to them. I strived as much as possible to recruit people new to sport, but couldn't compete with the teams stacked with current and ex-netballers.

This year I quit as a women's footy coach, I only stayed so long as no female wanted to do it. Is that an new coach to footy?
No, it's an ex-netball coach coming over?

Last edited:

Being a better game is entirely subjective. To those in NSW and QLD, rugby is king and AFL stinks. Doesnt make it a better game.
Also, pump as much money into soccer as you like, I'll never care about it. The preferences are cultural and ingrained historically more than anything.

For some reason this stealing from other codes and trying to own the market is only seen as stealthy and borderline immoral when its the women's league we're talking about. There's never any complaints that the AFL might be trying to steal participation of youngsters with their expansion in the eastern states in the men's league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back