Australia tour of New Zealand, 2021- 5 T20 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If they don't want to be there they can bugger off for good. Ask Phillips what he thought of yesterday and you'd get a vastly different response.

I agree with that comment,perhaps they should have left Finch,Stoinis and Maxwell and Carey back in Australia and give them an opportunity to play red ball cricket again.The biggest problem I suppose was a test series being fixtured at the same time as a T20 series.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Finch since the 2019 World Cup
ODIs
673 runs @ 56.08, SR 81.67

T2OIs
479 runs @ 36.85, SR 147.38

Recency bias playing a huge factor here. Sure, he had an absolute stinker of a BBL, but to suggest his recent Australian white ball form has been a scourge is just wrong.

Couldn't be bothered doing Davey because, well, I don't care about him.

What I am saying is that he scores s**t loads of runs on flat tracks and then fails when it matters i.e WC semi final.

Because he scores a s**t load of runs on flat tracks no one else gets a run at it.

Then when he fails everyone else hasn't had the time in the middle to successfully pick up the slack.

So the success of Finch and Warner has ultimately hurt the team IMO.

Same thing happened at the Hurricanes the other year with Short and Wade scoring the majority of their runs. Get to a final and they fail and you are screwed.

I agree with that comment,perhaps they should have left Finch,Stoinis and Maxwell and Carey back in Australia and give them an opportunity to play red ball cricket again.The biggest problem I suppose was a test series being fixtured at the same time as a T20 series.

Hahaha Finch playing red ball cricket again funny joke lol

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
With the exception of Carey, none of them are in the frame for Test match cricket. And Carey was picked in the Test squad for South Africa and thus is still in Australia following its cancellation and will be available to play Shield.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
With the exception of Carey, none of them are in the frame for Test match cricket. And Carey was picked in the Test squad for South Africa and thus is still in Australia following its cancellation and will be available to play Shield.
A few on here including myself think Maxwell should be in the frame to play Test match cricket and Maxi himself is still keen to play test cricket.BUT how can they select him for Test Cricket considering he has not been able to play red ball cricket for 18 months.As I keep saying wasted talent and should have played more then 7 tests for Australia.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
A few on here including myself think Maxwell should be in the frame to play Test match cricket and Maxi himself is still keen to play test cricket.BUT how can they select him for Test Cricket considering he has not been able to play red ball cricket for 18 months.As I keep saying wasted talent and should have played more then 7 tests for Australia.
I tend to agree that Maxwell should be in consideration but I don't think he is.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Warner and Finch have been a bit of a scourge on our white ball teams really.

They flat track bully and no one else gets a bat when the going is easy.

When the going is tougher they fail and the other bats haven't got the time in the middle behind them and are basically set up to fail.

As opposed to everyone else (bar Smith and Maxwell) who fails 90+% of the time in any conditions?

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
How did Ash Agar get selected having played 0 BBL matches??

Over half our squad has hardly ever fired a shot at international T20 level, yet you single out our international T20 player of the year because he didn’t play a domestic comp? Bizarre.

Given the selectors will select two spinners every time he’s in our best XI and easily.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
his bowling is ok. not convinced about him in the lower order hitting role, but we probably don't have a better option.

Depends if you want a weak fifth bowler/s or a weak number seven batsman tbh.

Let’s be honest the selectors will always select two spinners especially in India. Agar would be getting a game batting at eight anyway imo.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
All comes back to the mighty dollar.It seems T20 Cricket is where the big bucks come from and Maxwell is the main man in the ACB eyes,need him playing the short term game.
Don’t think it’s dollars. Maxwell isn’t bringing any more punters through the gates. The game already sells and there’s plenty of entertainers that one person doesn’t make all the difference. Just don’t think the selectors see him as having the temperament for red ball cricket. I reckon they are hasty and he wouldn’t do worse than Wade at number 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's the case then Milne won't be playing for NZ again either.

The talk with Milne was that NZC was happy for him to go as he'd get to work with Shane Bond (the Thunder Coach). He'd be handy for them to have as back up to Ferguson, can't have too many bowlers who can bowl 150kph.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Over half our squad has hardly ever fired a shot at international T20 level, yet you single out our international T20 player of the year because he didn’t play a domestic comp? Bizarre.

Given the selectors will select two spinners every time he’s in our best XI and easily.

Settle mate, pointing out the fact he's had zero match practice for months.

Also, we know those 'player of the year' awards aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Finch probably needs a spell. It was clear coming in his form was well below par. If he's struggled his last dozen or so games at domestic levels, why did we expect he'd suddenly find form overseas against a far better bowling lineup than anything he's failed against recently?

If available, guys to try as openers ahead of him at the moment are even players like Stoinis, Short, Carey, Weatherald,

I know everyone has their flaws, but at least those guys have made some recent runs in the comp where Finch hasn't, and I almost guarantee they'd have had a better innings than Finch's 1 from 2.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Finch probably needs a spell. It was clear coming in his form was well below par. If he's struggled his last dozen or so games at domestic levels, why did we expect he'd suddenly find form overseas against a far better bowling lineup than anything he's failed against recently?

If available, guys to try as openers ahead of him at the moment are even players like Stoinis, Short, Carey, Weatherald,

I know everyone has their flaws, but at least those guys have made some recent runs in the comp where Finch hasn't, and I almost guarantee they'd have had a better innings than Finch's 1 from 2.

Similar thoughts with Finch,even if he went back to club cricket or even shield ,played some red ball cricket and re charge the batteries.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Similar thoughts with Finch,even if he went back to club cricket or even shield ,played some red ball cricket and re charge the batteries.
Sometimes that's all that is needed. Take some time off, relieve the pressure to perform, make some runs and find the middle of the bat even at lower level, get the timing of the swing right.

Importantly, give some guys who have been finding the middle of the bat an opportunity. If they fail, so be it, but reward the man in form.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
He's still good enough to play for NZ, especially in the shorter formats, so he should still be in the selection mix.

Odd that they are playing a day game there on Thursday, it would have been better if a day game was played on the weekend, the 3rd T20 isn't being played until next Wednesday so there's no reason a game couldn't have been played on the weekend.
I must admit the scheduling as a whole has been a tad weird. Monday then Thursday and now that you mention next Wednesday.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I must admit the scheduling as a whole has been a tad weird. Monday then Thursday and now that you mention next Wednesday.
Were they trying to work around games in South Africa, that now aren't being played maybe? The aussies only got out of quarantine the Sunday evening, strange to play a game the following day then have big gaps later on.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Settle mate, pointing out the fact he's had zero match practice for months.

Also, we know those 'player of the year' awards aren't worth the paper they're written on.

You stated you didn’t understand how he got a game given he hasn’t played in a domestic league...

He’s clearly performed well at international T20 level in the past, especially over the last 24 months. That’s worth far more than playing a game in the BBL.

Do you honestly think any other Australian spinner bar Zampa, Agar or Swepson (who wasn’t picked due to being in the test squad) wouldn’t go at 12 an over against this New Zealand side? Only exception would be O’Keefe but there’s about as much chance of him being selected as there is in me going on an overseas holiday in the next month.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

As bad as Finch is playing lately, I’m still backing him to be part of our best opening partnership by the time the World T20 comes around this year.

At the moment the other guys may do better but ultimately this series means **** all and it’s all about preparing for the World T20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back