Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct - lost them both as well, the second by 10 goals.

Bodes well.

Freo fans were frothing over that one as well and how our season was doomed 🤣

Why? No covid in Australia outside of quarantine facilities....
Out of precaution. All it takes is one locally transmitted case in a place a team has travelled to or from, maybe not even while they are there, and boom you have 14 day isolation for multiple teams (or headaches/uncertainty in seeking exemptions), further training disrupted, etc.

Better just to not take the risk for what are, let's be honest, glorified bruise free scratchies.

I thought it's because it's not an official nab game, and not televised, so the VFL can't make any money from it??

It's a standalone praccy game organized between the 2 clubs, but ticket sales etc etc have nothing to do with the AFL, so they're crying and blocking it.

At least that's my theory. WCE and FREO should just do a charity ticket entry thing and tell the VFL to get stuffed. All the proceeds go to the bushfire victims.

Why? No covid in Australia outside of quarantine facilities....

SecondImpressiveAnura-max-1mb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Increases the chance of a loss - 2018 repeat confirmed.

On a more serious note however, the number of soft tissue injuries that have impacted the older members of the squad this preseason is certainly a worrying trend.

• No official training pre-Christmas
• Players from eastern states quarantined for first 1-2 weeks after New Year
• Unplanned shutdown for a week

All of the above would have created challenges for the fitness and conditioning staff trying to manage training loads that would have been on an accelerated program

By my count - Yeo, Kelly, Shuey, Waterman, Hutchings, Nelson, Petruccelle, Jamieson, Williams, Kennedy and now Naitanui have missed some or all of preseason.

Add Rioli and Venables who are effective nonstarters and that’s 13/42 players with compromised preseasons only one of who (Jamieson) isn’t in or on the edge of best 22

Given that midfield chemistry and the connection with forwards needed work plus the introduction of the new man on the mark rule this lost time is problematic

It’s been a pretty underwhelming preseason and not an ideal way to setup the year

I feel quite optimistic and positive going into 2021 season - not fussed about all the slight injuries to players, that's footy. From the training vision I've seen, the squad looks fit and hot to trot.
Combined with the new inclusions and the talent pushing up, will be something to anticipate.
Can only hope the coaching has evolved/adapted and made some changes to last seasons play.
Possibly a more run and gun style and less of the chip/mark/possession style.
More players taking the game on.
Suspect NN is being more 'kid-gloved' than a hammy?

I feel quite optimistic and positive going into 2021 season - not fussed about all the slight injuries to players, that's footy. From the training vision I've seen, the squad looks fit and hot to trot.
Combined with the new inclusions and the talent pushing up, will be something to anticipate.
Can only hope the coaching has evolved/adapted and made some changes to last seasons play.
Possibly a more run and gun style and less of the chip/mark/possession style.
More players taking the game on.
Suspect NN is being more 'kid-gloved' than a hammy?
Agreed, I'm genuinely more excited for this season than the last few. I'm not sure if it's just because last year was a complete disaster but west coast have a lot to be optimistic about. Witherdon and Langdon coming in, Jones essentially a new recruit too. Some very promising draftees will be getting a full year of development in the WAFL (hopefully). Sure the injury list doesn't look too good on paper but most best 22 barring Yeo should be good to go for round 1. Some tinkering to the game plan will also be an interesting watch.

Last edited:
• No official training pre-Christmas
• Players from eastern states quarantined for first 1-2 weeks after New Year
• Unplanned shutdown for a week

All of the above would have created challenges for the fitness and conditioning staff trying to manage training loads that would have been on an accelerated program

By my count - Yeo, Kelly, Shuey, Waterman, Hutchings, Nelson, Petruccelle, Jamieson, Williams, Kennedy and now Naitanui have missed some or all of preseason.

Add Rioli and Venables who are effective nonstarters and that’s 13/42 players with compromised preseasons only one of who (Jamieson) isn’t in or on the edge of best 22

Given that midfield chemistry and the connection with forwards needed work plus the introduction of the new man on the mark rule this lost time is problematic

It’s been a pretty underwhelming preseason and not an ideal way to setup the year
I agree, I'm a bit worried this could be a bad season especially with a though start.
So many interruptions preseason with a tough start doesn't look good.

I agree, I'm a bit worried this could be a bad season especially with a though start.
So many interruptions preseason with a tough start doesn't look good.
I'd rather injuries hit in the tough start when we are realistically only 50-50, than when we face the mid table teams where we should beat them 60-40. We missed top 4 last year not as much because we dropped away games to Port, Brisbane and Richmond (in hindsight, a damn tough draw) but more because we lost to gold Coast and bulldogs.

To say this pre-season has tempered my expectations would be an understatement.

I fear we are going to have a complete cluster of a season.

Tempering is fine but be careful you can OVER TEMPER one's expectations. This is BAD and can be harmfull to yours and others mental health, especially to younger fans who expect and demand instant gratification.

So please be careful....... ;) o_O:$:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back