Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, I want the sax. The best part about Jungleland is the sax solo. What happened to the sax player after that album? I listened to Darkness on the Edge of Town and I thought it was OK, but too much hard rock and not enough sax and big chorus sing alongs like on Born to Run. Born to Run gives me goosebumps and I didn't really get that from Darkness or The Wild or Nebraska.
Can't believe I forgot this sax stuff from Clarence.

Paradise by the C was the only instrumental piece the E Street Band played - 3 times in 1975, about 55 times in 1978 tour, and then a dozen times in the 1988 European Tour.

Don't know which 1978 show this is from.

From a New York entertainment industry site that has ranked 340 songs, updating their 2016 list to now include songs from Western Stars those from Letter to You.

119. “Paradise by the ‘C’,” The Ties That Bind. Star time! “Paradise” is Springsteen’s only all-instrumental composition, and it exists solely to put the spotlight on the Big Man. (Don’t he look great? He lost a lot of weight.) For a long time, you only knew about this song if you were there back in the day, or you bought the Live 1975–1985 box set. (Its inclusion was one of the things they got right with that release.) It was played frequently on the ‘78 tour and in Europe in ‘88, but hasn’t surfaced since. For reasons beyond anyone’s understanding, a studio version was included in the The Ties That Bind box set, even though it is highly unlikely the song was actually recorded during that period. It was probably thrown on just because Bruce misses Clarence.

Found this video from some guy called the professor of rock. He has almost 300 videos analyzing artists songs and albums.

It's his take on Tunnel of Love, the album generally in the first half and as a song in the second half. Sounds like having gone thru a divorce like Bruce did, he relates very closely to the song. Gotta admit not having seen the film clip that many times over the years I forgot about Bruce using the carnival rides at the Jersey shore as a metaphor for marriage.

• Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen have launched a podcast called “Renegades: Born in the USA” on Spotify.
  • The series will span eight episodes, two of which were released Monday on the streaming platform.
  • It’s the second series to come out of Spotify’s 2019 deal with the former first family’s production company, Higher Ground.

Former president Barack Obama and legendary rock musician Bruce Springsteen have launched a podcast on Spotify.

Renegades: Born in the USA” will span eight episodes, two of which were released Monday on the streaming platform. Spotify said the pair, who first met in 2008, will discuss race, fatherhood, marriage and the future of America.

“On the surface, Bruce and I don’t have a lot in common. But over the years, what we’ve found is that we’ve got a shared sensibility. About work, about family and about America,” Obama said in the first episode of the podcast. “In our own ways, Bruce and I have been on parallel journeys trying to understand this country that’s given us both so much. Trying to chronicle the stories of its people. Looking for a way to connect our own individual searches for meaning and truth and community with the larger story of America.”

This music website has the first 2 episodes embedded in the link and you don't have to set up a Spotify account if you don't have one.

• Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen have launched a podcast called “Renegades: Born in the USA” on Spotify.
  • The series will span eight episodes, two of which were released Monday on the streaming platform.
  • It’s the second series to come out of Spotify’s 2019 deal with the former first family’s production company, Higher Ground.

Former president Barack Obama and legendary rock musician Bruce Springsteen have launched a podcast on Spotify.

Renegades: Born in the USA” will span eight episodes, two of which were released Monday on the streaming platform. Spotify said the pair, who first met in 2008, will discuss race, fatherhood, marriage and the future of America.

“On the surface, Bruce and I don’t have a lot in common. But over the years, what we’ve found is that we’ve got a shared sensibility. About work, about family and about America,” Obama said in the first episode of the podcast. “In our own ways, Bruce and I have been on parallel journeys trying to understand this country that’s given us both so much. Trying to chronicle the stories of its people. Looking for a way to connect our own individual searches for meaning and truth and community with the larger story of America.”

Listened to both eps this morning. Very good.

Obama's voice is so smooth and soothing.

Never got around to talking about the other songs on LTY not written in 1970s but I was going to write you can sum the album up in 3 words - Love and Loss or 4 words - Life, Love and Loss.

Found this video from some guy called the professor of rock. He has almost 300 videos analyzing artists songs and albums.

It's his take on Tunnel of Love, the album generally in the first half and as a song in the second half. Sounds like having gone thru a divorce like Bruce did, he relates very closely to the song. Gotta admit not having seen the film clip that many times over the years I forgot about Bruce using the carnival rides at the Jersey shore as a metaphor for marriage.

Such a deflating album after BIUSA at the time; I still remember getting it for Christmas 1987 and being shattered that there were no huge Stadium Rock pieces.

And then over the following years as I entered those first years of adulthood and the trials and tribulations of romances it became the piece that I kept coming back to unpack what I was feeling.

Nearly 35 years on it is still front and centre there as one of his best ever.

It is timeless.

Never got around to talking about the other songs on LTY not written in 1970s but I was going to write you can sum the album up in 3 words - Love and Loss or 4 words - Life, Love and Loss.

How good are the Production values on it though? I wonder how even better all his pre Rising albums could have been had they have had the technology to record them with?

Such a deflating album after BIUSA at the time; I still remember getting it for Christmas 1987 and being shattered that there were no huge Stadium Rock pieces.

And then over the following years as I entered those first years of adulthood and the trials and tribulations of romances it became the piece that I kept coming back to unpack what I was feeling.

Nearly 35 years on it is still front and centre there as one of his best ever.

It is timeless.
Sort of the same but different but I listened to Stormfront by Billy Joel for the first time in well over twenty years not long ago and noticed that I was just a little bit older than Joel when he wrote the songs and listening to it with middle aged ears the songs have a very different feeling, it's a lament for past times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to post this the other day. last year to fill in time he did a series of Max's Memories videos on Instagram. This one is part 4 I have to listen to the other parts. he takes questions from fans and answers them.

About 3 minutes in he reads out the question asking when he heard himself playing on the radio for the first time and he says he was with Bruce they were touring California and were driving to a diner at night and on comes Jungleland, Bruce pulls over to the side of the road and they listen together.

I'm quite surprised this hasn't been posted on here yet on the Bruce Springsteen thread in particular, but Bruce Springsteen & The Killers (Brandon Flowers) recorded a solid duet of The Killers song "A Dustland Fairytale" from their 2008 album "Day & Age", a week or two ago.

Given myself being a massive Killers fan from the get go and have also listened to some music from Springsteen himself in the past, I thought this duet was really good from both parties involved and sounds a little bit different sound-wise from the past recording of the song 13 years ago.

Also proud for Brandon Flowers himself getting to sing one of his favourite songs from the band's history with one of his biggest music idols in his life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back