Politics Centrelink

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thing that perhaps angers me most is that it's all well and good for them to be on two hundred grand per year (being an MP is long and hard hours I know) but a person looking for work is supposed to survive on $375 per week with rent assistance. And the reason is that they 'ought' to be taking some low-paid job in awful conditions for their business-owning mate who probably does not pay the minimum wage anyway. 'I've had SO MUCH TROUBLE hiring good staff!' Yeah and now you will be flooded by more box-ticking applications you uneducated dill.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

Animal farm. The feed bins were emptied long ago but the pigs are doing just fine, thanks.

Our wonderful leaders no doubt had to read Orwell for English in school, but missed the bit about AF and 1984 being warnings and not ******* instruction manuals.

Animal farm. The feed bins were emptied long ago but the pigs are doing just fine, thanks.

Our wonderful leaders no doubt had to read Orwell for English in school, but missed the bit about AF and 1984 being warnings and not ******* instruction manuals.
My mate in Canberra quoted Orwell in the Senate the other week when I know for a fact the closest they've been his work was when they didn't read Animal Farm in year 9 English.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
The thing that perhaps angers me most is that it's all well and good for them to be on two hundred grand per year (being an MP is long and hard hours I know) but a person looking for work is supposed to survive on $375 per week with rent assistance. And the reason is that they 'ought' to be taking some low-paid job in awful conditions for their business-owning mate who probably does not pay the minimum wage anyway. 'I've had SO MUCH TROUBLE hiring good staff!' Yeah and now you will be flooded by more box-ticking applications you uneducated dill.

The problem is the parliament is made up by many people that have never hired anyone or needed to find a job without help from their network. Some politicians don't even know basic centrelink rules as shown by calls for the city based unemployed to move to the country which would be in beech of the rules prohibiting the unemployed from moving to areas of higher unemployment.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is the parliament is made up by many people that have never hired anyone or needed to find a job without help from their network. Some politicians don't even know basic centrelink rules as shown by calls for the city based unemployed to move to the country which would be in beech of the rules prohibiting the unemployed from moving to areas of higher unemployment.
I'm so sick of journos saying that 'Jobseeker is ending'. It's not. Newstart Allowance was always going to change its name to Jobseeker Payment. By coincidence that was scheduled to happen a few days before the proverbial hit the fan, and then they decided to boost JSP with the supplement. It'll be called Jobseeker without a supplement until the next round of politicians decide to rename it again.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
While this is a Coalition government, this supposed 'hotline' for employers to dob in people who have refused jobs is a surprise and a terrible idea.

What legitimate business owner, without some axe to grind, is going to spend valuable time ringing some government hotline (no doubt staffed by idiots who know nothing about hiring, Centrelink or employment law) to dob in a 'job snob'?

Purely designed to create a culture of fear of employers and to please their friends who are whingeing about not being able to fill positions because the pay and conditions they are offering are crap.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
So an employer rings and says 'I offered this job at my factory to John Smith but he said no.'

Okay, so how does the hotline definitively link this accusation with John Edward Smith who is currently on Centrelink and lives 3 km away, or link it with John Robert Smith who is on Centrelink and lives 5 km away? Who is going to have their benefits cancelled with a waiting period? How does John make his case and rebut the accusation?

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So an employer rings and says 'I offered this job at my factory to John Smith but he said no.'

Okay, so how does the hotline definitively link this accusation with John Edward Smith who is currently on Centrelink and lives 3 km away, or link it with John Robert Smith who is on Centrelink and lives 5 km away? Who is going to have their benefits cancelled with a waiting period? How does John make his case and rebut the accusation?

Tell them that the employer wanted to pay in cash, under the table.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Very misleading headline. How many people are going to read the article, vs how many will go "******* dole bludgers" and move on?

"This is voluntary unemployment — voluntary for the Reserve Bank, because it is unemployment that the Reserve Bank chooses to allow."

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very misleading headline. How many people are going to read the article, vs how many will go "******* dole bludgers" and move on?

"This is voluntary unemployment — voluntary for the Reserve Bank, because it is unemployment that the Reserve Bank chooses to allow."

Human beings are effectively kept as a 'reserve stock' of unemployed in order to keep wage growth and inflation low. Great isn't it?

I don't have statistics, but anecdotally that is not uncommon.

There is an undercurrent of jobs that do not pass muster for the Fair Work Act.

True, its rife in some industries and less so in others.
Making accusations against employers who did the right thing by their staff and workers would not be fruitful.

Why not just start a hotline for all those jobs that apparently can't be filled? I mean, if they are increasing the number of job applications that the unemployed have to do a month, then that must mean that there must be jobs that no one is applying for, otherwise what difference would it make?

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
More from the "No s**t?" file:

Professor Chand said the federal government should consider reshaping the program to allow seasonal workers to move between employers in Australia.
"[That way] the competitive forces of demand for these workers can lead to improved conditions for the workers," he said.
"Bad employers will get weeded out in the process. Tying workers to a single employer, at whose mercy workers are for shifts, is a recipe for exploitation of the sponsored workers."

In case you missed it, your fed govt on why they get $280 a day and Newstart is $300 a week

So it’s about taxpayers money... but not the taxpayers money that Ruston gets.

Back