Is the delisting of tod grima one of the most unfair ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No, am not taking the piss and no, I never said recent years.
Am talking career to date and as it stands right now, Joel Hamling has been a better key defender than what Blicavs has and that has a lot to do with the simple fact Mark Blicavs only recently began playing in the backline. Up until a year or so ago, he was a ruckman/utility.
Tom Stewart is a star but is he really a key defender? He seldom takes the top forwards as he is undersized and is more of our general just as Scarlett was in his later years where it was left to Lonergan and Taylor to take the 1st and 2nd best forwards.

Taylor's been a star.
Henderson, been good but he was playing in the VFL for a couple of seasons before he was called up to the senior team.

Blicavs was named in the 40 man AA squad as a key defender, hamling is not even a good key defender, he is just a role player. Thr bulldogs didnt trade him away for pick 35 because his a gun key defender.

Who from our key defenders over the years would he gave replaced period in our side??

Dont care that hamling has comsistently been a zac dawson role player, his just not the same shelf of talent.

Last edited:

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong
SJ delisting has to be one of the most unfair ever. Clearly still our second best foward comfortably. Given best clubman award. Premiership star given no respect. May of gone all the way with SJ at the club the next season with danger coming in.
I still maintain that SJ wouldn’t have produced the form he showed at GWS had he not been shown the door at Geelong. Maybe I approach the game too dispassionately but I recall SJ’s last season with the Cats being as clanger-heavy as it was sprinkled with brilliance, and in particular his set shots were heart in mouth stuff to even make the distance. Getting the flick was a reminder to SJ that he couldn’t rest on his laurels and it showed because he looked much sharper than he had for a couple of years when he started with the Giants.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I still maintain that SJ wouldn’t have produced the form he showed at GWS had he not been shown the door at Geelong. Maybe I approach the game too dispassionately but I recall SJ’s last season with the Cats being as clanger-heavy as it was sprinkled with brilliance, and in particular his set shots were heart in mouth stuff to even make the distance. Getting the flick was a reminder to SJ that he couldn’t rest on his laurels and it showed because he looked much sharper than he had for a couple of years when he started with the Giants.
Don't know about "a couple of years"; his 2nd-last season at Geelong he was top 10 in the Brownlow.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the bad discipline had a lot to do with it. From what I recall he was giving away 50's all the time, getting suspended for silly things, taking pot shots from all angles and being selfish, and arguing with umpires all the time. I think Chris Scott had had enough of it and wanted him out.

I have no idea about Todd Grima, other than that the percentage of draftees and recruits who go onto have successful careers at their first club is small.

None of us knows exactly what goes on in the inner sanctum of the club when it comes to delisting players. No doubt form, salary, contract length, and relationship with the coach and players comes into it. Its not like the club uses an algorithm to decide who stays and who doesn't....or does it?

I heard the Jimmy Bartel podcast on 3AW where he was interviewed about his departure from Geelong. He felt he was contributing strongly and was injury free in his last season, but the Club told him he was no longer needed. He was pissed, but decided not to play elsewhere.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think the bad discipline had a lot to do with it. From what I recall he was giving away 50's all the time, getting suspended for silly things, taking pot shots from all angles and being selfish, and arguing with umpires all the time. I think Chris Scott had had enough of it and wanted him out.

Sadly i dont think a steve johnson type fits in too well with a defensive minded game plan for example richmonds very defensive game plan now i feel hardwick would have alot of issues.

From what the reports are about GWS and leon cameron, it seems cameron lets the players do more their own thing on the field and run the show instead of setting up things from the box. This freedom to roam is more what probably suited him best those last few years.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Then they gave him the coaches award!

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know about "a couple of years"; his 2nd-last season at Geelong he was top 10 in the Brownlow.
That doesn’t really mean much though, given who votes for the Brownlow? We discredit the umpires all season in every way, but then use their metric to determine excellence when it suits us. I do not rate the Brownlow above being an indication of visibility to them.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Odd isn't it.

But those were just my recollections of the season. I'm sure he was suspended a number of times?
After what Scott had to say after the Allen Christensen incident that seen SJ suspended for the 5th time in 3 years you think he would have been long odds for that award.

SJ delisting has to be one of the most unfair ever. Clearly still our second best foward comfortably. Given best clubman award. Premiership star given no respect. May of gone all the way with SJ at the club the next season with danger coming in.

They respected him so much they traded him for a pick we were never going to use just so he didnt have to go through weeks of uncertainty to get to gws in the draft. Whether delisting him was the right call or not we treated him very respectfully in how we did it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
They respected him so much they traded him for a pick we were never going to use just so he didnt have to go through weeks of uncertainty to get to gws in the draft. Whether delisting him was the right call or not we treated him very respectfully in how we did it.
That is not respectful in any shape or form for a player who was not only best 22 but probably still top 10. The respectful thing to do is give them a contract worthy of their contribution to the team. No player in the top 22 should leave the club for nothing in return. If any do its very disrespectful. Johnson was not only kicked out but was paid a pittance of what he should of got because he became a dumped player. And this is the way we treated premiership players. It was a disgrace to the club and it left a dark stain and may of cost us a flag Shot in 2016. Made even worse now that we paid a second round draft pick for a player who is 33, about the same quality and not a geelong premiership player.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Allen Christensen incident?
Cut from the AGE.

Steve Johnson's suspension for lashing out at former teammate Allen Christensen will have no bearing on his future at Geelong, despite coach Chris Scott expressing his disappointment that the Cats again find themselves without their mercurial star at a crucial time.

Scott said on Wednesday that evidence debunking the impression Johnson had defied a team directive by brazenly striking Christensen had lessened his anger "a little bit" at Johnson missing Saturday night's home clash with Sydney, which would have been his 250th game. Yet his fifth suspension in the past three seasons still rankles.

Full story here

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Suprised nobody has brought up james kellu or paul chapman since the thread is winding down the road towards that direction of our aeging champs and the mannerisms of their departures.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Cut from the AGE.

Steve Johnson's suspension for lashing out at former teammate Allen Christensen will have no bearing on his future at Geelong, despite coach Chris Scott expressing his disappointment that the Cats again find themselves without their mercurial star at a crucial time.

Scott said on Wednesday that evidence debunking the impression Johnson had defied a team directive by brazenly striking Christensen had lessened his anger "a little bit" at Johnson missing Saturday night's home clash with Sydney, which would have been his 250th game. Yet his fifth suspension in the past three seasons still rankles.

Full story here
I don't even remember that.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Every bit as deserving for what they brought to the side.

Chappy didnt have alot left in the tank, but kelly played a few solid years of footy with the bombers.

We really dont have alot of disastrous delistings or even players we let go who went on to become anything elsewhere.

Only one example i can actually recall is geelong getting rid of matthew primus. Wasnt he on our list or something or we knocked him back?? That was a terrible call. Would have to be up there as probably our worst

Last edited:

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong

Attachments

• 432F2582-114D-49D9-8A4F-C57A25A21B6B.jpeg
    432F2582-114D-49D9-8A4F-C57A25A21B6B.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 31
Status