M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Now that Clugga has re-signed and Fages is locked away for another couple of years as well - who is the next most important Lion to have a contract extension? Rich, Linc, Zorks, JLyons, Fullarton, Bailey, Starcevich?
Definitely Bailey and Starcevich for me as they are the 2(particularly Zac) who could get substantial offers from another club.

I can't see Rich, Zorko or Lyons wanting to play anywhere else at their age and stage of their careers, McCarthy and Fullarton near certainties as well, neither would be getting significant dollar offers to move IMO.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why does there even need to a BS one line slogan?

It seems to be a recent phenomenon introduced by marketing people as an additional campaign to the typical marketing mix to increase fees.

Which footy admin sucker at the Lions fell for that?

'I am Lion'; give me a ****ing break :rolleyes:
I do agree with you, it can get way out of control. I'm now retired but was a marketeer in the corporate world for many years and then had my own agency. The 'tag lines' or 'catch cries' in my experience usually just seem lame and get tossed out each time the brand needs a refresh. They are quickly forgotten and even worse, the company has to re-do all their merchandise and the only ones making money out of that are the marketing agencies.

However, when the Lions won their first grand final, members were offer a paver that would be laid in the pathway outside the Gabba. I took up the offer with my children. I had engraved on the paver in 2001 - "Ian, Shelby Matty - We are Lions". I have that paver up on my farm now so maybe that is a tag line that would work.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Interesting the focus on adding speed and not size in the midfield - except Rayner who is both.
Fish would have good inside info so interesting that he's saying Charlie will spend more time in the midfield, his run on the wing will be damaging and his delivery into forward 50 is very good, expecting about a 70fwd/30mid mix, we wouldn't want to take too much away from his main game. A wing rotation including Charlie, Zac, Clugga would be awesome.

Lachie spending more time down back a bit of a surprise, maybe to break tags?

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fish would have good inside info so interesting that he's saying Charlie will spend more time in the midfield, his run on the wing will be damaging and his delivery into forward 50 is very good, expecting about a 70fwd/30mid mix, we wouldn't want to take too much away from his main game. A wing rotation including Charlie, Zac, Clugga would be awesome.

Yeah Neale playing across the half back line would be very surprising imo. I think it's more likely him dropping back off the stoppage and plugging the holes, somewhat like he did last year where he picked up a few intercept marks across half back last year.

I would also think him playing that more defensive role would allow player such as charlie or rayner more license to just front run ala Dusty and not worry about defending as much. Thinking about it (without really knowing their structure) it's probably a similar role to what Cotchin does at the tigers.

Yeah Neale playing across the half back line would be very surprising imo. I think it's more likely him dropping back off the stoppage and plugging the holes, somewhat like he did last year where he picked up a few intercept marks across half back last year.

I would also think him playing that more defensive role would allow player such as charlie or rayner more license to just front run ala Dusty and not worry about defending as much. Thinking about it (without really knowing their structure) it's probably a similar role to what Cotchin does at the tigers.

Maybe Lachie is also spending more time in the D50 as well, to allow Cockatoo or Starcevich at HB to run in the midfield for short bursts during a match given their speed & height, and for Neale to break any tags happening like you mentioned.

Fages only necessary quoted in the article the players who generally are positioned in the F50 most matches (besides Bailey) who can spend more time in the midfield (Cameron, Rayner, McCarthy). But I wouldn't be surprised if Fages will also try the same with some of the D50 players (Ah Chee, Cockatoo & Starcevich) in the midfield/wing positions for short periods during the match as well, with players like (Neale, Lyons & Robinson) spend time in defence/HB as a result of the lower interchange rotations this year, normal quarters (so far) again and game-day experience on the field, if required.

It's just nice to have a range of different players in the Best 22 being able to play in the Midfield/Wing positions during the match, if the situation needs them to step up and do the dirty work I say :cool:

Last edited:
I noticed that Neale was doing the warm up on Friday night with the defenders and made note of this. So interesting article.
I think he may have spent the first part of the game in defence which I thought was more of a management thing due to his calf issues. And only played until half time with stints in the middle.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Charlie used to play well off the back of the square before the 6-6-6 rule but has always been horrible in clearances. Do not like the idea of playing him in the middle

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I have previous mentioned Charlie should have more time on the wing
I don't think the 70/30 mix mentioned is enough i would settle for 60/40 that puts more pressure on opposition coaches to counter the increased time
That article with Fagan is pretty much what i was hoping for in 2021.

A lot of people are thinking along the line of:
Oscar moves to Martin's spot. Daniher takes over Oscars spot.
In my opinion this is not what will happen.

You have to remember Oscar was a second ruck that rested forward. Daniher is a key forward that will do some ruck work
Oscar will rest on the bench & we will still have 2 key forwards in Mcstay & Hipwood during this time.

The decision to change to one ruck gives us an extra midfielder. Some people can't see it this way.
It will not be one extra midfielder as such but 100% spread over more midfield time for multiple players already in the best 21
The players he mentioned were Rayner, Bailey, McCarthy & Cameron. You could add J Berry to that list as his TOG last year was a bit low for a mid.
This gives us much more run over the full 22 players rather than having a ruck/forward like Fullarton on the bench
By going down this track it will enable us to bring in a Keidean Coleman type player who replaces Martin in the best 22 from last year

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree, what is a little suspicious is the way they describe us as having "luck" which means more to me that this is just someone's opinion. They say we had 'luck' with no injuries which means our medical team and warmer climate have no effect. I think they do. The say we had luck with 9 home games at the Gabba, I'm pretty sure in a full season my season ticket has 11 home games. Yes we didn't play away as much as in normal season but that assumes all the other teams in the HUBs were not advantaged by lack of distraction, more time with players to treat injuries, ability to rest more and even train more.
Don't you know, sleeping in your own bed confers magical athletic abilities on you.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Neale's copped a lot of punishment in the last 2 years and though in his prime not getting any younger. So they luxury of having players step up who can take some midfield time would be a good opportunity to give him more time down back where his ability to link up will really help without the closer tagging he gets where he's the one trying to win it all the time.

It makes sense provided the likes of Cameron ,Rayner and McCarthy are able to do the extra work.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Charlie used to play well off the back of the square before the 6-6-6 rule but has always been horrible in clearances. Do not like the idea of playing him in the middle
I don't think Fages will be playing Charlie as a contested mid, the role will be a lot closer in style to Jared Polec/Brad Hill than Patrick Cripps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well worth a listen this bloke.
Cut from the same cloth as Fages I reckon. Very similar ideas.

Last edited:
Don't you know, sleeping in your own bed confers magical athletic abilities on you.
But only if you don't live in Victoria.

If you live in Victoria, it's just normality every other year.

It is good that off the back of a Brownlow medal, they are still trying to improve Neale's game. That kind of stuff is infectious to a young group. Hard to argue as well with the areas Fagan identified. It would be kind good to be able to drop Lachie out to escape some of those hard tags. He would work pretty hard going forward and would keep one of the opposition forwards fairly accountable i would think.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suits me. I wasn't going to be able to watch the sunday game.

Looks like it's official now we are playing the Suns again in the AAMI Community Series (Pre-Season) Match, which is fixtured on Monday the 8th March, at 6.10pm

Rest of the fixture for anyone interested as well:

2021 AAMI Community Series Fixture
Thursday, March 4

Carlton v St Kilda at Marvel Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Friday, March 5
Collingwood v Richmond at Marvel Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Saturday, March 6
North Melbourne v Hawthorn at Arden Street Oval, 4.10pm AEDT
Geelong v Essendon at GMHBA Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Sunday, March 7
GWS Giants v Sydney at Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT
Adelaide v Port Adelaide at Flinders University Stadium, 3.40pm ACDT
West Coast v Fremantle at Optus Stadium, 4.10pm AWST

Monday, March 8
Western Bulldogs v Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, 3.10pm AEDT
Gold Coast v Brisbane at Metricon Stadium, 6.10pm AEST

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
all these matches and changes have confused me. will this match against GC be streamed at all? (I guess no AFLW matches on a monday right?)

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do agree with you, it can get way out of control. I'm now retired but was a marketeer in the corporate world for many years and then had my own agency. The 'tag lines' or 'catch cries' in my experience usually just seem lame and get tossed out each time the brand needs a refresh. They are quickly forgotten and even worse, the company has to re-do all their merchandise and the only ones making money out of that are the marketing agencies.

However, when the Lions won their first grand final, members were offer a paver that would be laid in the pathway outside the Gabba. I took up the offer with my children. I had engraved on the paver in 2001 - "Ian, Shelby Matty - We are Lions". I have that paver up on my farm now so maybe that is a tag line that would work.

Those pavers were a marketing coup, at $100 per brick for fans to lay their support down. After quite a few years just outside the main Gabba gate, we also rescued ours and it now sits next to our front door on the Sunshine Coast.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
all these matches and changes have confused me. will this match against GC be streamed at all? (I guess no AFLW matches on a monday right?)
All 2021 AAMI Community Series matches will be broadcast live on FOX FOOTY, Kayo and through the Official AFL LIVE App, thanks to Telstra.

As per previous years, all Gold Coast SUNS members with match-day access will receive complimentary access to the game.

Not sure if Lions members will be able to attend. I would hope so.

Rest of the fixture for anyone interested as well:
All moved to local derbies. No real surprise - probably the real surprise was that they weren't to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back