hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I wouldn't consider moving on Matt now (maybe Laird, but not Matt). Ideally we'd make that decision in 2-3 years but with the way contracting works there is no way we will be able to offer Matt that sort of deal
Matt's less versatile but does have age slightly on his size.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Offer him at LEAST 2 years, but no more... That doesn't make sense. Rendell is losing it
Crouch probably looking 4-5 years .....Rendell saying Crouch is a stopgap for the emerging talent coming thru ....better options

In other words, if he's lost to us, no biggie

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think some are getting a bit carried away with Rory Laird the midfielder off such a small sample, he looks very promising but let's see him back it up over a period of time just yet.
I could be proven wrong, but I'm happy to say I've seen enough to suggest he's reinvented himself in the midfield and it will continue. Looked more comfortable each game in there.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I wouldn't consider moving on Matt now (maybe Laird, but not Matt). Ideally we'd make that decision in 2-3 years but with the way contracting works there is no way we will be able to offer Matt that sort of deal

I think you offer both Laird and Matt 4 year deals with an option for the fifth.

Two years from now, if things have changed, then you can still look to trade one or both of them. But you're not trying to do it now.

We would only get a band two at best for them as free agency compo, so that's just not something worth considering I don't think.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I think you offer both Laird and Matt 4 year deals with an option for the fifth.

Two years from now, if things have changed, then you can still look to trade one or both of them. But you're not trying to do it now.

We would only get a band two at best for them as free agency compo, so that's just not something worth considering I don't think.
The only way you would consider trading Crouch is if Hately emerges as a better inside mid within this season. That seems highly unlikely.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs

Need to stop contracting players beyond 30/31. If they want the extra year, unless they're a superstar, then let go.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Need to stop contracting players beyond 30/31. If they want the extra year, unless they're a superstar, then let go.
Both of these guys are right on the borderline of deserving a contract of that length.

Both are AA and BnF winners, Matt's only 26 too. Injury history is pretty good, though Matt has had his issue's.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The only way you would consider trading Crouch is if Hately emerges as a better inside mid within this season. That seems highly unlikely.
The earliest you would trade him would be the end of 2023, and more likely 2024. A lot could happen before then.

If he's signed, we have some options.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
quietly ecstatic that we've offered Matt Crouch a two-year contract because that is the biggest indication we can give that we absolutely believe in your group and your potential in particular. That we're willing to undercut one of the major roadblocks to get more of you into our best 22 is a massive show of faith from the club.
I'm not sure that seeing one of the club's best players offered a "we don't care, see ya" deal is going to make any young player "quietly ecstatic" about their own future.

Anyway, Rendell brain fart, it won't happen.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think some are getting a bit carried away with Rory Laird the midfielder off such a small sample, he looks very promising but let's see him back it up over a period of time just yet.
Maybe he realised it's easier to start fires than put them out. Kind of like someone else we all can't escape in the media...

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I'm not sure that seeing one of the club's best players offered a "we don't care, see ya" deal is going to make any young player "quietly ecstatic" about their own future.

Anyway, Rendell brain fart, it won't happen.
A young player seeing that, no matter how good you might become, the club won't make a financial commitment to you?

That's not reassuring, surely.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Me too, seems to be craving attention with a lot of over the the top comments and ramblings, that's just my opinion, others may disagree, that's fine.

IMO he should stick to something he's quite good at in general....U18 talent identification.

i think the only qualification the great unwashed have for saying Rendell’s lost it is that they don’t agree with him

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yep - surprise swing into the midfield in the wooden spoon side got a pretty free run at it in those games as well. He's always been a ball magnet, but add in some extra attention this year and is far from a given that he'll be as successful. Could go either way but need to see more.

Back