Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
That is the brightest, shiniest, glass half fullest appraisal of crows recruitment I have yet seen, i admire the positivity.

Now write one for him but write it as though he wasnt a key leader in the recruitment team that assembled the worst AFL list in recent memory :)

If you mean the worst Crows list from recent memory you'd be on the money, but the worst AFL list in recent memory?

No way.

Keep in mind too that we only had 17 games last year, but in terms of winning percentages.

Win %

Crows 2020 17.6%
North Melbourne 2020 17.6%
Gold Coast 2019 13.6%
Carlton 2018 9%
Essendon 2016 13.6%
Brisbane 2016 13.6%
Melbourne 2013 9%
GWS 2013 4.5%
Gold Coast 2012 13.6%
GWS 2012 9%
Port 2011 13.6%
Gold Coast 2011 13.6%

There's a list of 10 teams with a worse win/loss percentage than Adelaide had last year.

I also included North Melbourne in that list because they had the same record as we did, but I'd argue that by the end of the season they were worse and if we had a normal 22 game season we would not have finished bottom.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Didn't he say that he would stop posting, then pretended his arm was twisted to stay by popular demand?

No, I never said that. Or - at least, that's not my memory.

I had a bet with Faith. When I lost, I offered to leave. Frankly, leaving BigFooty felt like a very refreshing idea.

Faith suggested that I lose my name instead. I paid Chief and he changed my name.

No, I never said that. Or - at least, that's not my memory.

I had a bet with Faith. When I lost, I offered to leave. Frankly, leaving BigFooty felt like a very refreshing idea.

Faith suggested that I lose my name instead. I paid Chief and he changed my name.

What was the stake of the bet?

This is absolutely spot on

Carlton have had how many false dawns based on end of season sympathy wins?

sh*t teams have fake improvement first.

Competitive efforts and even wins come because the opposition don't try, rest players, try a few moves, give young players a chance in key roles, ease up for finals or simply aren't switched on when playing a dudlinger.

Or because the sh*t team has an end of season burst themselves, playing with freedom with nothing on the line, all fresh as daisies due to months of effort-free performances while their banged up opposition grind it out weekly.

Gives the membership offices something to spruik for the next season.

Also, players start playing for their next season on the list / a contract.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not questioning this as I know there's plenty of truth too it. But in our scenario both GWS and Carlton were still finals chances when we played them.

I just checked and GWS were still in the 8 at the time, and Carlton were a game (and %) out of 7th. Both needed big wins when they played the team in 18th.

If you are in that position on the ladder as a club with 2 or 3 rounds to go you don't mess about. You pump the wooden spooner into oblivion and leapfrog 2-3 clubs on percentage!

Spot on, they both had seasons to play for.

The Hawks win meant nothing but prior to us winning our first game we had been show improvement since the Round 13 loss to Geelong.

I’m expecting improvement this year from 3 wins (in a 17 game season) to around 6-8 given our draw (double ups against Roos and Hawks helps).

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe I DID say I'd leave and not come back. I don't really remember, and it feels like a absolute ball breaker to search for.

Mind you, now that Faith has shown what a dog he is, can’t see any reason to uphold his stake winnings

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Ran too far and threw the ball twice before that
It is Cripps though... you’ve got to remember that when it comes to guys like Cripps, Buddy, Dusty and a couple of others that the rules and the whistle have to be put away if its gonna stiffle the showmanship.. AFL directive..

I’ve seen Buddy take 25 running steps at full flight without bouncing the ball, which for a bloke his size covers about 50 metres, and still no whistle..

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is Cripps though... you’ve got to remember that when it comes to guys like Cripps, Buddy, Dusty and a couple of others that the rules and the whistle have to be put away if its gonna stiffle the showmanship.. AFL directive..

I’ve seen Buddy take 25 running steps at full flight without bouncing the ball, which for a bloke his size covers about 50 metres, and still no whistle..
Come on Clam you honestly believe it’s an AFL directive

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Mind you, now that Faith has shown what a dog he is, can’t see any reason to uphold his stake winnings
Admittedly, I caved in my pledge to leave well before he showed his colours.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont mind Zack Fisher but allowing Sholl to casually stroll into that contest and kick his first AFL goal was diabolical from a defensive point of view. Amateur grade stuff.

I disagree on that one. Scholl made his intent on the way to the ball and Fisher reacted to it so all Scholl needed was the slightest of faints to take advantage of it. I remember watching it at the time and thinking how good it was, up until the time he turned back it looked like he was passing and when he turned in...bang, lots of space.

Have no idea what the knock on the kid was in his draft year ( he must have been dating all the recruiters daughters) but it seems criminal that he got out to 60, though I guess strong draft and such

I disagree on that one. Scholl made his intent on the way to the ball and Fisher reacted to it so all Scholl needed was the slightest of faints to take advantage of it. I remember watching it at the time and thinking how good it was, up until the time he turned back it looked like he was passing and when he turned in...bang, lots of space.

Have no idea what the knock on the kid was in his draft year ( he must have been dating all the recruiters daughters) but it seems criminal that he got out to 60, though I guess strong draft and such

From his profile on AFL draft central:

" He does need to work on the contested and defensive sides of his game, having a great ability to run offensively, with improvement coming the other way. He has enough about him to suggest a club will take a chance on the classy ball user, with a late-to-rookie projection. Sholl’s natural traits make him an enticing prospect, with plenty of scope to develop further. "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Maybe I DID say I'd leave and not come back. I don't really remember, and it feels like a absolute ball breaker to search for.
Well I don't have you on ignore so please stay with us. It's OK to disagree, but some posters here are pretty difficult and seem to get most enjoyment just by being as confrontational or as argumentative as possible. Perhaps this is their hobby and way of seeking attention.

I am not the arbiter of what is right or wrong on the forum. There's always different opinions. But you don't personally attack people (that's an ignore list for me).

Stay with us.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Watch it again mate. Sholl didn't fake past Fisher at all. That was Walsh that he got past and that was made easy by the fact he was marking Laird at the time. Zack Fisher (no.25) was Sholl's direct opponent and he was hanging way too far behind him so that when Sholl got his run on the ball, he had no chance of catching him. I stand by what I said, diabolical defending from Fisher on that play.

Watch Fisher closely too, the way he watches the ball sail through the goals, he knew full well he was responsible for that.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Watch it again mate. Sholl didn't fake past Fisher at all. That was Walsh that he got past and that was made easy by the fact he was marking Laird at the time. Zack Fisher (no.25) was Sholl's direct opponent and he was hanging way too far behind him so that when Sholl got his run on the ball, he had no chance of catching him. I stand by what I said, diabolical defending from Fisher on that play.
Sometimes players can make even the best defenders look stupid.

Sholl made a far more experienced player look dumb, that's all we need

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Sometimes players can make even the best defenders look stupid.

Sholl made a far more experienced player look dumb, that's all we need
Look I rate Sholl as much as the next guy but if you allow your opponent to get 3m of space on you goal side at a forward 50 stoppage, you're just asking to be scored against.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you mean the worst Crows list from recent memory you'd be on the money, but the worst AFL list in recent memory?

No way.

Keep in mind too that we only had 17 games last year, but in terms of winning percentages.

Win %

Crows 2020 17.6%
North Melbourne 2020 17.6%
Gold Coast 2019 13.6%
Carlton 2018 9%
Essendon 2016 13.6%
Brisbane 2016 13.6%
Melbourne 2013 9%
GWS 2013 4.5%
Gold Coast 2012 13.6%
GWS 2012 9%
Port 2011 13.6%
Gold Coast 2011 13.6%

There's a list of 10 teams with a worse win/loss percentage than Adelaide had last year.

I also included North Melbourne in that list because they had the same record as we did, but I'd argue that by the end of the season they were worse and if we had a normal 22 game season we would not have finished bottom.

+1

And worth adding to this, that conditions last season were so vastly different to any past season that you really cant draw a meaningful conclusion. Aside from number of games, do the training challenges & hub situation impact all lists profiles equally? I'd guess not - intuitively seems that more experienced lists that have been together a long time would be less affected.
Did that widen the gap between the better/more experienced sides, and the younger lists that were going to lose a lot of games anyway? Probably, but no way to say for sure.
Point is, claims that AFC 2019 list was the "worst AFL list in recent memory" are sensationalist rubbish. There have been a lot of crap sides in recent memory, last year we were one of them.

Linekers Ears

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Spot on, they both had seasons to play for.

The Hawks win meant nothing but prior to us winning our first game we had been show improvement since the Round 13 loss to Geelong.

I’m expecting improvement this year from 3 wins (in a 17 game season) to around 6-8 given our draw (double ups against Roos and Hawks helps).
Feedback I got second hand about North is that the players and coaches got completely disconnected during the hub. Coaches more or less stopped communicating with anyone outside the first 22.
Reports now are that the playing group loves Noble and the new coaching team. I'd be surprised if North are as bad as they were last year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back