Clubs that are defunct or merged throughout Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
20210224_173841.jpg

20210224_173905.jpg

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Notes_210224_173814_d6f.jpg

This was the Quandeine Football Club.
Quandeine were formed around the late 1920s or early 1930s and participated in the Northern Amateurs competition until they folded following the 1982 season.
They were nicknamed the "Q's" and played at grounds such as Quane Oval and Ogilvie Park (now Bunnings store), all long gone.
They played their final days out at Launceston's Windsor Park in Riverside.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Some ODFA memories there. Remember going to games at both Parattah and Tunnack.

Christ, I lived my first 25 years in Tassie, exploring most of it because, like many Tasmanians I had both family and friends' shacks dotted right around the state... and I've never even heard of either of those places!

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
Christ, I lived my first 25 years in Tassie, exploring most of it because, like many Tasmanians I had both family and friends' shacks dotted right around the state... and I've never even heard of either of those places!

Didn't quite go far enough off the beaten track!

Tunnack actually went into recess during the 2001 season, not actually the end.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Didn't quite go far enough off the beaten track!

Or... it's just Tassie, and when you drive past 4 houses and a servo you don't realise that place actually has a name :)

I've just googled it, and I've absolutely would've been through there travelling between Launceston and Orford.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Motton Preston and East Ulverstone look like they will amalgamate at the end of the year according to the NW Aggrovate.
A bit of online sleuthing tells me both clubs are already amalgamated clubs, I think it was North Motton Rovers and Preston combined in about 1967, East was a combining of Sprent Tigers and Ulverstone District Rebels on 14/11/1999.
Surprised by Motton P joining with another club, thought they were doing okay, not surprised by East, been cactus for years, surprised they never amalgamated with West Ulverstone years ago.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Motton Preston and East Ulverstone look like they will amalgamate at the end of the year according to the NW Aggrovate.
A bit of online sleuthing tells me both clubs are already amalgamated clubs, I think it was North Motton Rovers and Preston combined in about 1967, East was a combining of Sprent Tigers and Ulverstone District Rebels on 14/11/1999.
Surprised by Motton P joining with another club, thought they were doing okay, not surprised by East, been cactus for years, surprised they never amalgamated with West Ulverstone years ago.
Yes that is interesting, Motton-Preston just won the NWFA Premiership and it looks likely to have been their final game of football in their own right.
Strangely, I noticed on their own Facebook page that they never even mentioned that they won the premiership, just had a post up saying that a meeting of all Life Members was to be held.
Both East and West Ulverstone clubs have been hanging by a thread for a number of years now with little to no success and a constant battle for playing numbers, it is quite surprising that those two being on close proximity haven't merged to attempt to create a stronger entity.
Three clubs in Ulverstone is too many at any rate, even Ulverstone in the NWFL had a poor season and finished down near the bottom.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Can anyone read the advocate article on the proposed merger details? It's paywalled. All I saw was vote on September 23.
No, I can't either, I don't have an Advocate subscription either.

From East Ulverstone:
"On Monday, August 23rd 2021 the East Ulverstone Football Club commitee endorsed an amalgamation proposal with the Motton Preston Football Club be sent to a members vote on a date soon to be confirmed between Sept 17 and Sept 30.
The committee took deep consideration of the proposal along with the current and future concerns particularly relating to the well acknowledge dwindling resources including players, volunteers and committee people.
Whilst we respect the NWFA is still conducting it's final series, we also acknowledge the right to critical information of members from East Ulverstone and Motton Preston Football Clubs. Information will continue to be shared publicly and openly and we encourage conversation regarding the proposal as both clubs seek the best opportunity to secure a position and identity within coastal football for the medium to long term.

Regards, East Ulverstone Football Club"

And from Motton-Preston:
"A reminder that our life members meeting will be held tonight 7pm at Preston Community Centre, following this meeting a discussion will be held regarding future options for the club.
We are urging all life members to attend so that all information presented will be consistent and factual."

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006

I might be making this up - but my grandparents used to live around that area, and I thought Motton Preston had already had multiple mergers. I think Motton and North Motton merged, then very soon after they merged with Preston.

Makes me wonder who is still watching/playing. There can't be much left around that area can there?

Cha_Ching_00

Debutant
Jul 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Very sad. Sad part is, they won't be the last clubs to go down the shovel either.
How many's that gone from the ODFA in the past 20 years or so?
The House of Cards that is Tasmanian football is about to come crashing down around us, those at grass roots level all know it, pity the big knobs aren't interested, all they care about is pie in the sky AFL team pipe dreams and a VFL team.
I can tell you, Hobart was very close to going under at the end of last season, were in worse shape than 1997.

Big early news coming out of the ODFA footy circles.....
Three existing clubs intending to field a side in the ODFA season 2022.
Oatlands, Swansea and very surprisingly Woodsdale!

Oatlands; have gained the services of ex reserves player and coach Greg Dare, who had recently been involved with nearby powerhouse Mt Pleasant. Greg is the best man for the job and will no doubt get the player numbers required to field a side. Good location with locals that will come onboard and won’t impact Mt Pleasant’s playing numbers and an hour up the road for Hobart based players, good facilities also.

Swansea; will find it a little tougher than Oatlands, unlike Oatlands they aren’t just an hour up the highway, nearly close to a 3 hour round trip, rumours are that ex player Alex Gilmour is linked to the club and if this comes to fruition, you would think they have a good chance of reforming.

Woodsdale; very interesting, will find it hard to get a side up and running as Oatlands will most likely dwindle their recruiting power. Even more interesting, that they closed the books last year and gave their remaining money away to a local organisation... crazy! So they have to find players, no locals, all imports, no money, even more dilapidated facilities than when they were up and going and a club culture that has been the reason why go into recess constantly...

stay tuned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

popsikle99

Team Captain
Feb 29, 2016
Aus
AFL Club
Richmond

Oatlands; have gained the services of ex reserves player and coach Greg Dare, who had recently been involved with nearby powerhouse Mt Pleasant. Greg is the best man for the job and will no doubt get the player numbers required to field a side. Good location with locals that will come onboard and won’t impact Mt Pleasant’s playing numbers and an hour up the road for Hobart based players, good facilities also.

Swansea; will find it a little tougher than Oatlands, unlike Oatlands they aren’t just an hour up the highway, nearly close to a 3 hour round trip, rumours are that ex player Alex Gilmour is linked to the club and if this comes to fruition, you would think they have a good chance of reforming.

Woodsdale; very interesting, will find it hard to get a side up and running as Oatlands will most likely dwindle their recruiting power. Even more interesting, that they closed the books last year and gave their remaining money away to a local organisation... crazy! So they have to find players, no locals, all imports, no money, even more dilapidated facilities than when they were up and going and a club culture that has been the reason why go into recess constantly...

stay tuned

Great news for ODFA! I did also hear the Gilmore rumour although no idea of true - any thoughts Kingpin?

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Great news for ODFA! I did also hear the Gilmore rumour although no idea of true - any thoughts Kingpin?
Nah, no truth to that at all as far as I know.
Last I spoke to him he was intending on playing with Hobart again next season as playing coach, he missed about twelve or thirteen games through a shoulder injury this season.
I did read about Dare going from Mt Pleasant to Oatlands to try and restart them on Facebook some time back, I thought Swansea were trying to come back this year but couldn't get the numbers to do it.
Be good for your comp to have more teams, would think Brighton might lose a few if Oatlands restarted, apparently there's quite a few from there playing at the Robins.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
Oatlands - 75%+ chance. Committee as big, if not bigger, issue than player numbers

Swansea maybe 33% - Just find it so hard to get players from Hobart, due to travel to Swansea. Players from Launceston, due to travel south

Woodsdale maybe 25% - Would need to show they had a player base that could last more than 12 months. Money wouldn't be an issue, but facilities certainly would be.

My best guess? 6 team comp next year - Oatlands added back, alongside the existing 5.

That is of course assuming Campbell Town to NTFA isn't happening in 2022.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline

stay tuned

Part of the reason Oatlands went into recess is that there are no locals. Or there haven't been as a foundation for 20 years. There are likely a few younger ones who might give it a crack, but the bulk of the team, and pretty much any talent, will need to be from outside the township. Which is what Greg can offer. But I do agree 100% that he is the best person for the job.

Cha_Ching_00

Debutant
Jul 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Part of the reason Oatlands went into recess is that there are no locals. Or there haven't been as a foundation for 20 years. There are likely a few younger ones who might give it a crack, but the bulk of the team, and pretty much any talent, will need to be from outside the township. Which is what Greg can offer. But I do agree 100% that he is the best person for the job.

you’re right Ozguy, for 30 years all the talent in and around the Oatlands township heads out to Mt Pleasant and it’s been like that for 30 years. The amount of players who have played a year at Oatlands then went to Mt Pleasant would be huge!

There might be 5 or 6 playing with Brighton who have ties with the ODFA, only a couple with ties to Oatlands though. Oatlands may drag one or two but I don’t see an exodus.

Campbell Town still a couple of years away from the NTFA I think, 6 team comp next year. Swansea and Woodsdale won’t get up, even if Woodsdale can get their money back from their local museum donation. The interesting thing about Woodsdale is they have about half a dozen, either ex players or strong ties (father sons) that currently played in arch rivals Mt Pleasants recent premiership and I believe none of them would go back to their former club in Woodsdale even if it was to establish a side.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
you’re right Ozguy, for 30 years all the talent in and around the Oatlands township heads out to Mt Pleasant and it’s been like that for 30 years. The amount of players who have played a year at Oatlands then went to Mt Pleasant would be huge!

There might be 5 or 6 playing with Brighton who have ties with the ODFA, only a couple with ties to Oatlands though. Oatlands may drag one or two but I don’t see an exodus.

Campbell Town still a couple of years away from the NTFA I think, 6 team comp next year. Swansea and Woodsdale won’t get up, even if Woodsdale can get their money back from their local museum donation. The interesting thing about Woodsdale is they have about half a dozen, either ex players or strong ties (father sons) that currently played in arch rivals Mt Pleasants recent premiership and I believe none of them would go back to their former club in Woodsdale even if it was to establish a side.
Very good summation IMO.

An interesting stat I heard back at the end of the Seniors/Reserves days of the ODFA, so 2005. Out of the 84 player required for Oatlands and Mt Pleasant to field 4 sides, there were 9 players who lived locally (including Tunbridge)

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
^ I wondered how that was progressing.
The fact only 49 people voted is worse, is that life members or club members? Poor numbers if that was club members, can see why they went for the merge if numbers are that low.
MP winning a flag is probably the reason they voted against.

Jul 16, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hurricanes,
Think that's club members. Poor yes.

MP listed a post suggesting you could signup as a member on the night of the vote for $5, without seeing their specific constitution this would be unconstitutional in any organisation with modern governance, and probably doomed their vote to fail regardless.

Oct 4, 2020
AFL Club
Tasmania
Does anybody have any knowledge of the Dover Football Club that competed in the Esprence Football Association (or the competition for that matter)? There is little know of the club or competition on the internet.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Does anybody have any knowledge of the Dover Football Club that competed in the Esprence Football Association (or the competition for that matter)? There is little know of the club or competition on the internet.
Dover Tigers were a playing member of the Esperance Football Association, along with the Southport Seagulls, Glendevie Robins and Raminea Roos from when the competition was formed on 27th May 1922 until they won the final EFA Grand Final played in 1966.
The competition had been struggling for some years leading up to then and with the tremendous damage done in the region from the 1967 Southern Tasmanian bushfires and the continual struggle to get players, the EFA had put in a submission to apply to join the Huon Football Association starting the 1968 HFA Season, with the EFA clubs combing to form the 'Esperance Football Club' playing out of Dover.
However, in September 1967 the Huon Football Association declined the application and the EFA and all its member clubs were wound up over the Summer period of 1967-68.
The Dover ground pre—1955 was at the Dover State School oval, in 1955 the closure of all State Schools south of Dover saw the establishment of the Dover Area School and a widening and lengthening of the old State School oval commenced.
In 1955 the oval was not finished so the club was granted permission to play their matches on local landowner Mr Jackson's paddock between Kent Beach Road and Glenbervie Road until their regular ground was fit for use.
20220221_151657.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back