2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

League One is honestly not as easy a league to escape from as you would think. Leeds had to spend a couple of years of hell there.

But aside from the Gaffer, isn't Hull's main problem your vindictive and penny pinching owner who has hardly put much funds into the club and gaffer into buying players ?

Hull's current situation does remind a bit of Leeds under Ken Bates, least you guys didn't go into administration though, but it really sucks.
Couldn't agree more; bigger clubs such as Sunderland and to a lesser extent Portsmouth have languished down there for a while.

Last time we were in League One we did alright coming out of it, and we were coming from the opposite direction. We've done everything right except put a competent manager in charge.

Coming into the season expectations were mid-table finish based on how s**t McCann is, but expectations were raised given the quality of squad assembled and start we had. I don't think its unreasonable that, when in November we were top by 3 points with a game in hand there might be some expectation that the form wouldn't fall off a cliff.

Just read that Dover Athletic of the National League have had 17 matches postponed this season, having played only 15 matches. They still have 29 matches to play to complete the season.

That will surely drag the NL season into July, maybe August - that's if the NL season is completed at all.

League One is honestly not as easy a league to escape from as you would think. Leeds had to spend a couple of years of hell there.

But aside from the Gaffer, isn't Hull's main problem your vindictive and penny pinching owner who has hardly put much funds into the club and gaffer into buying players ?

Hull's current situation does remind a bit of Leeds under Ken Bates, least you guys didn't go into administration though, but it really sucks.
It can be a blessing in disguise spending a season or two in the lower divisions, especially if the club is in financial stress because it gives the club a chance to restructure without the financial pressures of competing in the higher tiers, Man City, Leicester and Wolves have all spent a season or two in League One and have come out stronger for it.

But, the lower divisions can also be a graveyard, especially if the clubs are stuck down there for an extended period of time. Bradford City were competing in the Premier League 2000/01 but have been stuck in the bottom two divisions since 2004/05 and up until the last couple of months looked to be struggling to stay in the football league. Portsmouth dropped down in 2012/13 and has been close to promotion back in the Championship the last couple of seasons but have fallen short in the playoffs.

Just read that Dover Athletic of the National League have had 17 matches postponed this season, having played only 15 matches. They still have 29 matches to play to complete the season.

That will surely drag the NL season into July, maybe August - that's if the NL season is completed at all.
And I thought Carlisle was having problems, we've had about 10 games postponed during the season to date and are now playing games every Saturday and Tuesday until May to clear the backlog.

I think there is something else going on with Dover Athletic, they are refusing to play games. The National North and South leagues (the sixth tier) have agreed to void their seasons and Dover wanted the same to happen to the National League, but the other clubs voted to continue the season. I think there may be a financial reason along with Covid for why Dover want to void the season, but it does look like they will be fined and perhaps relegated. Will have to wait and see.

You'll win.

I know Hull have been struggling but have you seen much Dons lately, we seriously haven't even been League One level. Our star player is a 19 year old academy kid (Rudoni). Still some more positive signs and signings recently and I paid up for the month with ifollow last week and so I'll be watching it to see what happens.

I know Hull have been struggling but have you seen much Dons lately, we seriously haven't even been League One level. Our star player is a 19 year old academy kid (Rudoni). Still some more positive signs and signings recently and I paid up for the month with ifollow last week and so I'll be watching it to see what happens.

We lost to Burton a week or so ago.

Carlisle lost 3-1 at home to Oldham and have now lost 4 of their last 5 and all momentum they created pre Christmas has appeared to have dissipated. Need to get it back ASAP if they want to make the automatic promotion positions at the end of the year.

Absolute rubbish from Wimbledon though they were never likely to match it with Hull, 3-0 including two penalties. Hopefully a better chance against Shewsbury on Tuesday.

Absolute rubbish from Wimbledon though they were never likely to match it with Hull, 3-0 including two penalties. Hopefully a better chance against Shewsbury on Tuesday.

Interesting circumstances around that second pen, but we got through it. It seems we play a lot better away from home for whatever reason. Highest scoring team in the division but one of the worst home scorers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting circumstances around that second pen, but we got through it. It seems we play a lot better away from home for whatever reason. Highest scoring team in the division but one of the worst home scorers.

Good luck for the rest of the season, I enjoyed watching Hull rise up the ladder a while back when all I could do was get scores for Wimbledon in the Blue Square South League (National League South now) and although he only played a couple of seasons with Hull Giovanni was one of my favourite players to watch once they got to the Premier League.

Good luck for the rest of the season, I enjoyed watching Hull rise up the ladder a while back when all I could do was get scores for Wimbledon in the Blue Square South League (National League South now) and although he only played a couple of seasons with Hull Giovanni was one of my favourite players to watch once they got to the Premier League.

Cheers, and hope you guys can get up to the Championship soon.

Norwich 2 Wycombe 0

Probably a fair result, we defended for as long as we could, almost snatched one late and then conceded another late one. Just the usual, then.

On another note....

dnvl0pxa02k61.jpg

And I thought Carlisle was having problems, we've had about 10 games postponed during the season to date and are now playing games every Saturday and Tuesday until May to clear the backlog.

I think there is something else going on with Dover Athletic, they are refusing to play games. The National North and South leagues (the sixth tier) have agreed to void their seasons and Dover wanted the same to happen to the National League, but the other clubs voted to continue the season. I think there may be a financial reason along with Covid for why Dover want to void the season, but it does look like they will be fined and perhaps relegated. Will have to wait and see.

Spot on about Dover. The Chairman has stated on the club's website that they have scaled back club operations to keep the club open, but without new additional funding they will not complete this season. Their match with Maidenhead tomorrow has again been postponed.

That's a problem for the National League.

The problem as I see it, is that ending the season doesnt put a stop to club expenses.

Maybe they can furlough the playing squad, and cut back on a few things. But they'll still need to play the bulk of salaries, leases, utilities, rates etc. Without any income coming in at all.

For the second time in four days Carlisle opened the scoring early in the first half before falling to a 2-1 defeat, this time away to lowly Colchester. Carlisle have dropped to 12th, 6pts from the playoff spots and 11pts from the automatic promotion spots. We still have at least 3 games in hand over every above us, but our form is so terrible I have doubts we can turn it around quickly enough to fight our way back into contention. We have gained one point from our previous six games which is the worst form line in the division.

It's 2016-17 all over again.:(

Meanwhile Bolton and Bradford have gone in the opposite direction, Bolton have won their last six and have moved into sixth, while Bradford have won seven of their last eight to move up to tenth, a game out of the payoff spots with a game in hand.

Opposite for the Dons, 2-1-2 from the last five and I think we've dropped a spot or two. We've a couple of games in hand from most around us but still we're legitimately a bad month away from relegation.

Some big results in the Championship this morning. Norwich's win over Brentford just about ensures they're returning back to the Premier League (10 points clear of second), whilst Rotherham's 97th minute winner over Wednesday means Sheffield is now 7 points adrift of safety.

I genuinely thought Wednesday wouldn't drop once their 12 point reduction was halved late last year, but with Steven Fletcher leaving before the start of the season, they just struggle scoring and with 5 losses on the trot and an away match against Reading coming up; they're in all sorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back