World Test Championship 2019-2021

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So, you are saying that West Indies vs Sri Lanka series shouldn't be part of the World Test Championship ?

Please elaborate and perhaps I have got it wrong.I thought the World Test Championship was between the top 2 ranked countries only.If correct and other nations are involved and 3 v 4 and 5 v 6 etc. can you please correct me.

Heisenberg111

Senior List
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Please elaborate and perhaps I have got it wrong.I thought the World Test Championship was between the top 2 ranked countries only.If correct and other nations are involved and 3 v 4 and 5 v 6 etc. can you please correct me.
9 teams including OZ, Eng, Ind, SA, Pak, NZ, SL, WI and BD are part of the WTC. Every series between these 9 teams is part of the WTC.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think, it will be a close series, could see it being drawn 1-1 like last time. When is West Indies playing South Africa next ?

Not sure. Even over there, I actually think the same theory I have with Australia applies. If they juiced up their pitches it would only help the West Indies.

We struggle to make runs on anything but our bowlers can really exploit seam friendly conditions and their batsman have forgotten how to play in them.

We drew with Sri Lanka last time we hosted them and they’re probably weaker now though I think Mathews missed that series. We really should have beaten them.

Aside from the status of winning a series in Asia I really hope the biggest thing to come from the Bangladesh series is knowing how to put an opponent away when we are on top of them

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So are the plans are to play over the same week end at a set date.If true covid could be a issue but I like if can happen.

No not at all.

Imagine there’s a set calendar for the next 2 years. Which there kind of is but it’s always subject to change.

Every series between any of those two sides counts towards the ladder.

At the end the two top teams play off in a final at lords.

Because not everyone plays everyone, and because some teams play longer series than others, the shorter series have more weighting attached to each game.

So from memory a win in a Test match in a two test series is worth two wins from a four match series

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
No not at all.

Imagine there’s a set calendar for the next 2 years. Which there kind of is but it’s always subject to change.

Every series between any of those two sides counts towards the ladder.

At the end the two top teams play off in a final at lords.

Because not everyone plays everyone, and because some teams play longer series than others, the shorter series have more weighting attached to each game.

So from memory a win in a Test match in a two test series is worth two wins from a four match series

"At the end the the top team s play off in a final at Lords" which will be Australia,India or England?

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
Does anyone know when the next WTC begins? And if the point allocation will be the same?

Does anyone know when the next WTC begins? And if the point allocation will be the same?

after this one finishes, I guess.

"The plans are to have two-year cycles starting with the first one from 1 August 2019 to 30 April 2021. The second one is scheduled from June 2021 to 30 April 2023. "

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
after this one finishes, I guess.

"The plans are to have two-year cycles starting with the first one from 1 August 2019 to 30 April 2021. The second one is scheduled from June 2021 to 30 April 2023. "
looks like the England India series will be included in the new cycle. I wonder what would happen to the cycle when they decided to change the venue of the final to somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere with different summer months. I presume the next few finals will be at Lord's though considering this one isn't.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
The WTC has been pretty messy as a whole, & that's before the effects of the pandemic are even taken into consideration. An uneven fixture/points allocation & the fact the exactly 1/4 of Test playing nations from around the world are frozen out of the tournament completely is just ridiculous.

An ideal solution, imo, would be to have kept the world rankings as they are, & every four years schedule a knockout Test match tournament featuring the top 8 ranked sides. That way, the world rankings still actually mean something & we also get a tangible Test match tournament to decide the World Champions.

In the event of drawn Tests during the knockout stage, the side with the higher ranking leading into the tournament would progress.

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I think the WTC would be better with a few minor tweaks. Instead of playing 3 series at home and 3 away. I'd make it 4 at home and 4 away, so everyone plays everyone, and stretch it out over 3 years.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The WTC has been pretty messy as a whole, & that's before the effects of the pandemic are even taken into consideration. An uneven fixture/points allocation & the fact the exactly 1/4 of Test playing nations from around the world are frozen out of the tournament completely is just ridiculous.

An ideal solution, imo, would be to have kept the world rankings as they are, & every four years schedule a knockout Test match tournament featuring the top 8 ranked sides. That way, the world rankings still actually mean something & we also get a tangible Test match tournament to decide the World Champions.

In the event of drawn Tests during the knockout stage, the side with the higher ranking leading into the tournament would progress.
The idea that the WTC is too messy but then replacing it with the World Rankings which are much more convoluted doesn't make sense to me.

I liked the WTC. It's really difficult to make a meaningful event in international cricket as the big 3 just want to play against each other so this is basically the best they could do while also allowing them to do so. The final should be a series played at the home of the top country but other than that it's probably the best they can do. COVID certainly didn't help it.

I still can't believe how much Australia bottled making the final. Just bat India out of the game in the GABBA test ffs. Don't give them a sniff.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
The idea that the WTC is too messy but then replacing it with the World Rankings which are much more convoluted doesn't make sense to me.
Granted, the World Rankings were/are a mess as well. But the same could be said for the WTC points system.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I thought the WTC points system was pretty good until COVID f’ed it. It's the best I could have come up with to deal with different series lengths.
Agreed. It is a good system considering the hierarchy of international cricket, but would still prefer to have something that grants an even playing field for all Test playing nations. Seems to me unfair that sides like India can afford to lose, say, four matches or so & still qualify for the final, yet Bangladesh for example cannot afford to drop more than one game.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Agreed. It is a good system considering the hierarchy of international cricket, but would still prefer to have something that grants an even playing field for all Test playing nations. Seems to me unfair that sides like India can afford to lose, say, four matches or so & still qualify for the final, yet Bangladesh for example cannot afford to drop more than one game.
Essentially the reverse is also true. Bangladesh can fluke a few games and be right up there, whereas India have to be on guard for longer to garner full points.

In fact Stuart Broad made the exact opposite point to you in that he said because England play more cricket it makes it harder for them to make the final.

As always he provided no solution and I'm sure he'd bemoan the fact he'd be paid less if every nation played the same amount of matches.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Essentially the reverse is also true. Bangladesh can fluke a few games and be right up there, whereas India have to be on guard for longer to garner full points.

In fact Stuart Broad made the exact opposite point to you in that he said because England play more cricket it makes it harder for them to make the final.

As always he provided no solution and I'm sure he'd bemoan the fact he'd be paid less if every nation played the same amount of matches.
Exactly right, having a side which played only a handful of Tests fluking its way to a finals spot as another anomaly of the WTC points system. On top of that, the unevenness of the 'home and away' fixturing is another thing that doesn't sit well with me. For example, Australia might be fixtured to tour both India & Pakistan & get hammered in those tours, playing a total of eight Tests in that timeframe, whereas Bangladesh, for example, might get lucky & clean sweep the West Indies at home, before winning a series in Sri Lanka, rocketing them for above Australia in the space of just, say, four Tests. The problem here is that the two sides are being ranked on a different number of matches, against differing opposition in differing conditions. An example like that is totally uneven.

A solution could be that instead of playing in series' (I always hated the idea of two Test series anyway), teams can just play one-off WTC Tests against every other Test nation, home & away, over the space of four years. Then, other marquee Test series such as the Ashes, can be fixtured around the WTC schedule.

Example: (Year 1) Australia vs England 5 Tests, Australia vs Afg (WTC), Aus vs SL (WTC)
(Year 2) Australia vs India 4 Teats, Australia vs Ire (WTC), Aus vs Pak (WTC)

Hope that makes sense lol.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Any system that has NZ in a test final is obviously very floored.
Good call. They have the world #1 Test ranking & just spent all day yesterday spanking England all over the park. They must be total rubbish. You're right.

Back