Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Eight players from the same team in the AA squad of 40 is highly unlikely.

Im using "pushing for AA squad" as a euphemism for players reaching a certain level where they are playing a consistent enough season of footy to be considered close to the AFLs best in their position. I think all 8 have the talent and have legitimate chance this year of making AA. Will all of them get in the team at once? No. But that is the level they can all aim for.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Im using "pushing for AA squad" as a euphemism for players reaching a certain level where they are playing a consistent enough season of footy to be considered close to the AFLs best in their position. I think all 8 have the talent and have legitimate chance this year of making AA. Will all of them get in the team at once? No. But that is the level they can all aim for.
Aim for the stars, land on the moon.

Or miscalculate trajectory and freeze in the vast nothingness of the space.

Fantasy related question. Is Parks any chance of a round one berth?

Doubt it very much, unless Jones or Weiters goes down. Even then i would suspect Levi to go back.

Yep...

NEW NUMBERS:
6. Zac Williams
8. Lachie Fogarty
16. Jack Carroll
26. Luke Parks
29. Corey Durdin
42. Adam Saad

Well well well
Saady has the 'meaning of life' jumper now. I think there's something of an omen in that. :D

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just stumbled across this photo on my computer.

Obviously I have had 3 extremely happy days in the last 4 years.

This was even better.

KH.png

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Wonderful in theory.

Jack is probably competing with Gov. Fisher will surpass Betts. Newnan and Marchbank competing for a spot.

As I have stated, lets assess it end of year, just like last year when you didn't have Gibbo or Newnes best 22 and we all know how that turned out.
That is just the point - how close to our best 22 did we ever get due to injury? Referencing the number of games played in 2020 when there are so many players returning from injury, been recruited or even better placed to develop through the reserves (like say Cottrell, O'brien and Philp) just seems pointless to me.

But anyway no need to rehash.

Triniboy

All Australian
Sep 26, 2011
Caribbean
AFL Club
Carlton
The game was basically 18 defenders versus 17 attackers when a player was forced to be stationary after taking after a mark /free kick (but the man on the mark effectively was not). This evens it up to 17 versus 17, until play-on is called. Or even tilts the balance in favour of the attacking team having closer to 18 v 17, as the player with the ball initiates the next play.

It will all come down to the discipline of the players on the mark to accept they are out of play (other than to stop the player with the ball running in a straight line towards goal) it’s and staying still. The clubs that better prepare for it will be advantaged in terms of not giving away 50m penalties - as they should be. I read that Brisbane were doing a session recently solely to practice this, and a club would be negligent to not do so.

There is no doubt it will be benefit the clubs with elite ball users who will be able to run and receive more easily. It will also benefit the sides with strong marking forwards, as delivery should be of a higher standard more often. This should see more goals kicked. These are aspects of the game we want to see being benefitted IMO.

Thankfully from our point of view, it should suit us more than a defensive side like say Sydney.
I appreciate the time you put into explaining your view as to why it’s a positive move. I can’t see any positives for the adjustment, it will lead to excessive 50m penalties which will slow the game down.

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I appreciate the time you put into explaining your view as to why it’s a positive move. I can’t see any positives for the adjustment, it will lead to excessive 50m penalties which will slow the game down.

I guess in simple terms the side who has "won" the free kick or mark, deserves the advantage. It had gone too much the other way.

It may lead to excessive 50's early on, but that will soon stop when coaches crack it with players conceding cheap goals. There may be times when defenders can do nothing to stop goals (I think Lachie Henderson was quoted on this) but that is the same for both sides.

Maybe it's a bit of an age thing, where younger people only remember the more defensive styles of play? Personally, the closer footy gets to the '80s style, the better I reckon it will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I guess in simple terms the side who has "won" the free kick or mark, deserves the advantage. It had gone too much the other way.

It may lead to excessive 50's early on, but that will soon stop when coaches crack it with players conceding cheap goals. There may be times when defenders can do nothing to stop goals (I think Lachie Henderson was quoted on this) but that is the same for both sides.

Maybe it's a bit of an age thing, where younger people only remember the more defensive styles of play? Personally, the closer footy gets to the '80s style, the better I reckon it will be.
Anything that leads to higher scoring will help the game. Dylan Grimes on SEN this morning said this change will impact significantly and in match sims, he has felt helpless at times. Says speedy players are killing it. Go Adam!

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Anything that leads to higher scoring will help the game. Dylan Grimes on SEN this morning said this change will impact significantly and in match sims, he has felt helpless at times. Says speedy players are killing it. Go Adam!

Gee an AFL rule change that may benefit Carlton, the ultimate unintended consequence from AFL HQ.

:rolleyes:

Juddrockz

Premium Platinum
Oct 22, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone have a sense of how tickets will be distributed. Seems likely there will still be restricted crowds
A ballot system to get tickets,3 different ballots as per membership status for some clubs. Carlton hadnt decided which avenue they would take according to the article i read in the Herald Sun the other day.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Ballot will be the only option. Perhaps a multi entry option depending upon level and longevity of membership. If I win, I’ll scalp the tickets...

Whoever Paul Hasleby is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back