Team Mgmt. 2021 starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Frang gets exposed a bit as a Key Defender. Hooker could start back and then swing forward. I like the look of the side though.
Snelling x 2 ?
I can take out the bench Snelling. (I was thinking of having none, but somehow ended up with 2) I think Hooker looked good as a forward in the practice match (although he was playing on Francis) so that doesn't help much. Are there any other tall defenders available for round 1?

edit: I think the answer is BZT. I'm not a fan.

Last edited:
I can take out the bench Snelling. (I was thinking of having none, but somehow ended up with 2) I think Hooker looked good as a forward in the practice match (although he was playing on Francis) so that doesn't help much. Are there any other tall forwards available for round 1?
They seem to be set with Laverde at half back but id run with him forward now that he has genuine talls to work with.

Wright, Jones, Laverde, Tippa, Smith/Snelling with Hooker cameo, Langford, Caldwell and Parish rotating through. Stringer out hurts as he just rounds out the forward line nicely and can pinchhit at centre bounces. Obviously got Stewart as well but he seems set for a backline key position post.

I'm thinking Round 1 ends up looking like this, presuming that Ambrose and Stringer are nursed back. If he's fit I'd prefer Ambrose play at FB, move Hooker to CHB, and let J Stew hone his craft a bit more in the magoos, but we work with what we have I suppose.

B Ridley Hooker Francis

HB Hind Stewart Heppell

C Langford Caldwell Shiel

HF Snelling Jones Laverde

F Smith Wright Tipungwuti

R Draper McGrath Merrett

I Redman Parish Guelfi Cahill

E Cox Ham Gleeson Phillips

Inj. Hurley Zaharakis Ambrose Stringer

I'd be very tempted to shoe-horn Cox into the side and just let him get an early taste of it roaming about on a HFF or wing, but given the lack of footy last year I suspect we will nurse each of the draftees through even if they're tearing it up at training/scratchies, just to ensure they're ramping up sustainably into 2022.

FB Redman Reid Francis
HB Ridley Stewart Laverde
R Draper Shiel McGrath
C Merrett Heppell Langford
HF Snelling Wright Smith
FF Stringer Hooker McDonald-Tippungwuti
I Hind Parish Caldwell Guelfi

E Perkins Phillips Ham Jones

Unavailable Hurley Ambrose Zaharakis Mosquito

FB Redman Reid Francis
HB Ridley Stewart Laverde
R Draper Shiel McGrath
C Merrett Heppell Langford
HF Snelling Wright Smith
FF Stringer Hooker McDonald-Tippungwuti
I Hind Parish Caldwell Guelfi

E Perkins Phillips Ham Jones

Unavailable Hurley Ambrose Zaharakis Mosquito
Not sure about Reid at FB as early as round 1, but i think that's a fairly accurate expectation of our starting 22

Not sure about Reid at FB as early as round 1, but i think that's a fairly accurate expectation of our starting 22
Yeh, most likely won't play, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Hooker back otherwise, with Jones forward. Though I really think our forward line needs him the most.

I'm thinking Round 1 ends up looking like this, presuming that Ambrose and Stringer are nursed back. If he's fit I'd prefer Ambrose play at FB, move Hooker to CHB, and let J Stew hone his craft a bit more in the magoos, but we work with what we have I suppose.

B Ridley Hooker Francis

HB Hind Stewart Heppell

C Langford Caldwell Shiel

HF Snelling Jones Laverde

F Smith Wright Tipungwuti

R Draper McGrath Merrett

I Redman Parish Guelfi Cahill

E Cox Ham Gleeson Phillips

Inj. Hurley Zaharakis Ambrose Stringer

I'd be very tempted to shoe-horn Cox into the side and just let him get an early taste of it roaming about on a HFF or wing, but given the lack of footy last year I suspect we will nurse each of the draftees through even if they're tearing it up at training/scratchies, just to ensure they're ramping up sustainably into 2022.
There is a case to be made for Cox starting round 1. He won the time trial, so fitness is there (albeit not match fitness). He took a couple of nice marks in the Club Match, so his touch is there. GO ON, PUT HIM IN!

a year without match fitness, remember that

If he gets through the rest of preseason and plays in a couple of praccie matches is he really that much worse off than anyone else?
Its not like he was injured last year either - its just he wasn't playing. He's been fit pretty much all preseason and been doing drills and intra club sessions for months as well.

I can see it as an argument for tempering expectations but not for not selecting him in the first place if he shows enough in the practice matches vs Carlton and Geelong.

Of our young bigs you’d expect zerk and Jones to be thrown in the deep end more so then Cox and Reid... not to mention Draper is still a baby.
Man, our bigs are so young. Like crazy young.

Fully expect Harrison Jones to be given a crack in Round 1. I'm surprised with how much his body has matured over the past year; looks genuinely strong. Great kick too.

Jones / Wright could be an interesting key forward combo.

Of our young bigs you’d expect zerk and Jones to be thrown in the deep end more so then Cox and Reid... not to mention Draper is still a baby.
Man, our bigs are so young. Like crazy young.

Agree with to this and both should play round 1 - which is March 20 less than 1 month away! I’d like to see this team;-

Francis Zerk Redman
Ridley Hooker Hind
Langford Caldwell Merrett
Perkins Stewart Jones
Laverde 2MP Tippa

Draper McGrath Shiel

Bench: Heppell Parish Smith Snelling

Hooker and Stewart are interchangeable at CHF and CHB

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the three tall forwardline here; the same structure that caused issues for Hawthorn last year; No Joe the obvious difference.

Not sold on Perkins though. I'd swap him with Smith, leaving a bench spot available for... ...f*** it. Tom Hird. :D

I really like the three tall forwardline here; the same structure that caused issues for Hawthorn last year; No Joe the obvious difference.

Not sold on Perkins though. I'd swap him with Smith, leaving a bench spot available for... ...f*** it. Tom Hird. :D

Perkins has the tank to run off a HFF, not sure how he'd go with the physicality. If Dev got on-board with a similar role to what Snelling was doing, I think he'd be very good at it.

Hawthorne's issues were that their talls were no good.

The tall forward mix is a worry, particularly with Hurley all but ruled out and Stringer looking unlikely for R1.

You would think Wright is a walk up start then based on the above, but after that?
Harrison Jones might gets a shot due to positional attrition.
Do we swing Stewart forward for a week or two to provide a mature body until Stringer/Hurley get back and rely on Hooker/BZT in defence?
Does Laverde get swing forward instead?
Do we just do a 2017 Richmond and go with 2 structural talls and fill the forward line with small pressure types?

All interesting questions i suppose

Perkins has the tank to run off a HFF, not sure how he'd go with the physicality. If Dev got on-board with a similar role to what Snelling was doing, I think he'd be very good at it.
I'm sure Perkins will be fine at HF but he's not shown he's ready yet.

Snelling I'd thought came in played Smith's role when Smith was injured, but as time went on moved more into midfield/half forward, where Smith could be anywhere from mid to a forward pocket. I feel like Snelling's strengths were played to; he's no forward pocket but he can apply pressure and deliver i50. Smith is too dangerous around goals to not be used there, and god knows we need avenues to goal.

Hawthorne's issues were that their talls were no good.
Even so, the three tall forwardline has served us really well in the recent past. With our lack of marking power up the ground last year, it allows one of them to roam up to a wing - Wright and Stewart alternating doing that if I had anything to do with it. Finally we'd have some solid marking options in transition; Draper, Wright/Stewart, Langford, Heppell + 2 talls i50.

The tall forward mix is a worry, particularly with Hurley all but ruled out and Stringer looking unlikely for R1.

You would think Wright is a walk up start then based on the above, but after that?
Harrison Jones might gets a shot due to positional attrition.
Do we swing Stewart forward for a week or two to provide a mature body until Stringer/Hurley get back and rely on Hooker/BZT in defence?
Does Laverde get swing forward instead?
Do we just do a 2017 Richmond and go with 2 structural talls and fill the forward line with small pressure types?

All interesting questions i suppose
Answer to the second question is yes please.

With Hurley looking to be pretty much ruled out for round 1 and Stringer looking unlikely or 50/50, I’ll go with something like

B Francis - Hooker - Ridley
HB Hind - Stewart - Heppell
C Langford - McGrath - Merrett
HF Snelling - Jones - Smith
F Tippa - Wright - Laverde
R Draper - Parish - Shiel
Int. Caldwell - Redman - Cahill - Ham

I know Laverde is training down back, but I’m struggling to see another option who sounds like they will be ready for round 1. Other options are probably Zaka who is listed to return ”early rounds” and Perkins who sounds like he has had a pretty limited training load.
Ok, after today I’m thinking maybe

HF Smith - Jones - Cox/Snelling
F Tippa - Wright - Waterman
Int. Caldwell - Guelfi - Ham - Cahill/Redman

Ok, after today I’m thinking maybe

You forgot Tommy Cutler

You forgot Tommy Cutler
Of course.

Egg Boy - Cutler

B Hind Hooker Redman
HB Ridley Stewart Heppell
C Langford Caldwell Merrett
HF Smith Jones Stringer
F Waterman Wright Tipungwuti
FOLL: Draper Shiel McGrath
INTER: Parish, Snellin, Cox, Ham
Emerg: Cahill, Zerk-Thatcher, Laverde, Guelfi, Bryan, Perkins

So IF Redman out with calf (not sure how bad it is) and Stringer makes round 1 (touch and go).

Team :

B: Hind Hooker Francis
HB: Heppell Stewart Ridley

C: Langford Parish Merrett
Foll: Draper Shiel McGrath

HF: Smith Jones Cox/Perkins
F: Stringer Wright Tippa

B: Guelfi , Ham , Caldwell , Cahill (Or Redman if fit)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back