The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
For me, it's only confirmed what I already thought. The depth isn't there atm and we need our best team, especially midfield, out there to be competitive. If we get some injuries to key players we're going to really struggle.

To be fair, no Goldy, LDU, Cunners, Jed,,,,,pretty much first choice centre bounce setup (apols Jy). But I thought Kryon worked into it really well and see he belongs in an inside mid rotation. Looks like he holds his opponents really well and then pushes off to win his own ball. I think we saw enough to know Tom Powell is going to be a player. Lazarro too. Was a few passages of coast to coast ball movement which looked great. I think Stevo really came into the game, and TT as well the more the game went on. My take away is that every journey begins with one step, we're now on that journey, one that should have begun 5 years ago. There'll be ups and downs, personally I don't mind watching losses, as long as there is improvement and you can see what the club is investing in, kids getting a go and enjoy watching them develop and improve.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I figure most blokes showed something in spurts, and there was significant blocks of time where players were rested.

J. Walker had a bad one, and Menadue was barely noticed.

The most concerning thing for me was the lack of gel as a team. Over to you coach Noble.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North ran the game as a selection trial, with two blokes playing for contracts (skinner and appleby), a host of others being trialled in positions we haven’t seen before (Hayden in the centre, JZ at HB, TT on the wing, Larkey at centre bounce), several building game time having not played for a year (Tyson and Turner) and some draftees being given a taste

nobody likes losing by close to a 100, but the game needs to be evaluated as
a selection trial. Hayden was an unqualified success, Powell encouraging for his half, while TT could probably play anywhere and be a success. JZ is a concern - the play in the last qtr probably summed it up; took a good mark in traffic and then turned it over by hand trying to find appleby, gifting saints a goal

didn’t think either skinner or appleby did enough

so lots to do, but surely we knew that?

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pros

- happy to wear turnovers for now. Scott tried to be more attacking and so did shaw. Both learnt that the players skill didn’t support this. But if we stick with it and draft accordingly it may work in the long run.

- Powell and Charlie both acquitted themselves well.

- thomas certainly doesn’t look hampered by his ankle

- Stephenson looked good. Clearly a high half forward pushing to the wings. He’s not a full time mid, certainly not a Center Square mid. Great sign that he looked dangerous without being one out in the square.

- Hayden looked great but his kicking really is woeful. Needs to tighten it up and reduce the margin for error.

Cons

- just no team defence, accountability, or anything resembling a strategy to stop the opposition from scoring. I’d love to see the inside 50’s because I doubt they’d point to a 100 point loss.

- too many average footballers despite the cull last year. Hall, Tyson, Turner, Campbell shouldn’t be playing much this year. Didn’t like what I saw from Young either.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly don’t think Tarrant could care less about a practice match. He’s got nothing to prove.
Oh, I absolutely agree, he looked like he would rather be anywhere else (although I'm not too sure if that's such a good thing from a leader in a young side).

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
The data thing was very weird and transparent. They even low key implied that it was requirement to provide your personal information to get the link to the stream.
I think it was stronger than that - the email yesterday said you had to register to get access and be sent a link today (lol).

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1st Qtr they kicked 7 straight
That is good footy

They are not making many mistakes, we make a lot
V disappointed in Stevo disposal
Like TT in the middle but we do look like kids so just have to stop making basic cough ups and Defend 100%
that’s how you play a better side

Stephenson has never been a good kick. Handy around goals though

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pros

- happy to wear turnovers for now. Scott tried to be more attacking and so did shaw. Both learnt that the players skill didn’t support this. But if we stick with it and draft accordingly it may work in the long run.

This.

Pretty simple for mine, if the players cannot play the style that is required, then we need better cattle. I'm not interested in us altering a better game plan in order to hide our weaknesses.

Expose these weaknesses & address them through list management & selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back