Preview Geelong vs Collingwood, Practice Match Fri 26 Feb, 11am @ GMHBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll hit the track in our first competitive match this Friday

While the game will be spectator free, the club has advised that members will be emailed a link so they can watch a live stream

We know that a few senior players are currently under injury clouds with their availablity for round 1 in doubt, so here's the perfect chance for the youngsters to put their hands up for selection

For those wishing to watch - the link will go live at approx 10:50am

Last edited:
We'll hit the track in our first competitive match this Friday

While the game will be spectator free, the club has advised that members will be emailed a link so they can watch a live stream

We know that a few senior players are currently under injury clouds with their availablity for round 1 in doubt, so here's the perfect chance for the youngsters to put their hands up for selection

Thanks for creating a thread. I won't be able to watch due to other commitments but would appreciate very much if people can put their thoughts here.

Is it a simulation match not a practice match?

The AFL had originally scheduled the AAMI Community series to be 2 pre-season matches per team; but then with lockdowns across multiple states & border closures, the decision as made to cut that to 1 match per team & again an intrastate team, but that teams could then organise a second practice match if they so wished

The unofficial practice matches are being played this week, they started yesterday with Bulldogs vs Hawthorn

So these are full-on practice matches, umpires involved, scores being kept and players being bloodied & bruised - it's just that they aren't an official pre-season match

This weeks schedule:

Wednesday, February 24
Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn at Whitten Oval, 10.30am

Thursday, February 25
Carlton v Essendon at Ikon Park, 11am
North Melbourne v St Kilda at Arden Street Oval, 12pm

Friday, February 26
Melbourne v Richmond at Casey Fields, 9.30am
Geelong v Collingwood at GMHBA Stadium, 11am

Saturday, February 27
GWS Giants v Sydney Swans at Giants Stadium, 11am
Port Adelaide v Adelaide at Alberton Oval, 11.30am
Fremantle v West Coast at Mineral Resources Park, 1pm
Gold Coast v Brisbane Lions at Metricon Stadium, 4pm

How many people are going to watch? Do we have enough to nominate people to look for specific things? Like one person looks at how we structure up in the backline, another on the forward line. Do we have enough eyes that one person can nominate a couple of kids each to watch out for?

Could some of those things be difficult since the viewing is via an online stream which may not necessarily present a lot of choice in what we are actually shown?

Watching the current Carlton vs Essendon match, and so far it's just footage from 1 camera that is middle of the ground & panning each way, so watching how we set up & stuff may not be the easiest thing to do

Probably easier next week when we play Essendon and the match is actually open to spectators

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Could some of those things be difficult since the viewing is via an online stream which may not necessarily present a lot of choice in what we are actually shown?

Watching the current Carlton vs Essendon match, and so far it's just footage from 1 camera that is middle of the ground & panning each way, so watching how we set up & stuff may not be the easiest thing to do

Probably easier next week when we play Essendon and the match is actually open to spectators.

Will be more fun next week as well, given the club will undoubtedly put in one of their now typically tepid preseason efforts and probably get rolled. Which will unleash the Henny Pennys here to come off the long run in predicting our impending demise.

Like. Clockwork.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be more fun next week as well, given the club will undoubtedly put in one of their now typically tepid preseason efforts and probably get rolled. Which will unleash the Henny Pennys here to come off the long run in predicting our impending demise.

Like. Clockwork.
And even more fun, it will inspire the Essendon Entitled to heights of fancy about their premiership chances; but that is a joke which will take a few weeks for the punchline to hit them between the eyes.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
And even more fun, it will inspire the Essendon Entitled to heights of fancy about their premiership chances; but that is a joke which will take a few weeks for the punchline to hit them between the eyes.

I do agree that, as a running joke for the actual prospects of the two clubs in any given year, our preseason clashes with the Bombers are truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
How many people are going to watch? Do we have enough to nominate people to look for specific things? Like one person looks at how we structure up in the backline, another on the forward line. Do we have enough eyes that one person can nominate a couple of kids each to watch out for?
I will watch out for any moves of Blicavs to the ruck or the wing.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Do we publish a squad/ lineup for these or does the skipper get them to stand with their backs to the wall and pick away? ;)

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'll be working so won't be able to watch. I hate practice matches anyway because teams always tank through them at some point.

Never have to worry about the Cats tanking for part of these games, though. We clearly prefer to just work on not turning up at all.

:cool:

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Never have to worry about the Cats tanking for part of these games, though. We clearly prefer to just work on not turning up at all.

:cool:
I do look forward to this year's meltdown by someone because they think preseason form = season form.

And, of course, David King takes preseason form very seriously, so that should tell you everything you need to know about it.

I will be at work so I cannot watch it.
I will hopefully look forward to some good match reports from the Cats BF community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back