Preview North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than 20 minor round games ago North absolutely flogged us in arguably our most embarrassing loss since the 2011-12 shellackings.

I still haven't quite worked out what the hell happened that night but haven't our respective fortunes changed dramatically since that awful Saturday night at the Docklands.

All logic points to a comfortable round 1 win for us but you never know with North Melbourne, we've had some bizarre blowout wins/losses against them over the journey. They've beaten/flogged us when you wouldn't expect them to and vice versa.
Big Scotty Lycett was running around with the Maggie’s that weekend was one of the reasons. Hadn’t he upset Kenny by saying something out of place?

This is not a good sign. Go slow teams really struggled against us last year, as it allowed us to set-up our defense and apply pressure to cause turnovers. To beat us at the go slow method, you need to beat us in the coal face, be both proactive and precise in your ball movement, and have the tall marking targets to worry us in defense. I only see one of those three potentially falling in your favour, if Goldstein gets on top of Lycett & Ladhams.
Agree that Goldstein is a big factor for them. Cunnington and Polec will also have to be considered as prime movers for NM.
But we have the weapons to counter them.

Remember last year when this board was worried about Gold Coast when Dixon wasn't available, and then we came out and smashed them in our only full game for the year and everyone was like 'Oh, that was to be expected?' Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Scrub teams like North might look at what Richmond did to us and think 'Oh, that's easy, we'll just match it with Port'. Not realising that the difference between Port and Richmond making a Grand Final was Dustin Martin...which North doesn't have. They don't have Tom Lynch, they don't have Trent Cotchin, they don't have Jack Reiwoldt.

Rotate Wines, Powell-Pepper, Boak, Gray, Butters, Rozee, Fantasia, Rockliff, Motlop, Amon and Duursma through the midfield and start talking about how they are going to cover us.

Big Scotty Lycett was running around with the Maggie’s that weekend was one of the reasons. Hadn’t he upset Kenny by saying something out of place?
Yeah, he said our training standards were miles below those of the WCE.
Didn't go down well with old mate Ken, who thought of himself as a master coach.

Your new coaching panel is looking mighty fine. Will be an interesting ride.
I just hope North fans aren't disappointed in three years when they are fighting for finals rather than fighting for a premiership like Buckley promised. They aren't rebuilding on the go, it's a full scale rebuild akin to Carlton in 2015 and five years later they are only now ready to challenge for finals. We should get the job done but hopefully for North fans their young talent shows some promise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No surprises to anyone, but North absolutely pumped by St Kilda today by 90 points.

I guess their strategy of saving money on footy spend to pay of debt is really working for them...

We have already seen what a disastrous long term strategy that is.

I'd gloat on the main board but I really just want that thread to die the death it deserves.

Snake_Baker "yeah but we rested Jasper Pittard for this trial"

No Goldstein, Cunnington, Davies-Uniake, Anderson, Polec or Dumont (6/7 starting midfielders)

How would Port go without Lycett, Boak, Wines, Rockliff, Amon & Duursma?

Troll away pal. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
I guess their strategy of saving money on footy spend to pay of debt is really working for them...

We have already seen what a disastrous long term strategy that is.

I'd gloat on the main board but I really just want that thread to die the death it deserves.

Their list is absolutely trash. I dont think they got pumped because of football dept spend.

No Goldstein, Cunnington, Davies-Uniake, Anderson, Polec or Dumont (6/7 starting midfielders)

How would Port go without Lycett, Boak, Wines, Rockliff, Amon & Duursma?

Troll away pal. :thumbsu:

6 people is, like, an average injury list. Saints were missing Marshall, Gresham, Hannebery, Jones, Carlisle, Geary.

To answer your question, we wouldn't lose by 91 points to St Kilda.

I can assume that anything less than a 150 point win for Port in round one will be a poor effort.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back