St Kilda vs Geelong Cats
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
8 - Tyanna Smith (STK)
6 - Caitlin Greiser (STK)
6 - Tilly Lucas-Rodd (STK)
6 - Rebecca Webster (GEEL)
3 - Rhiannon Watt (STK)
1 - Georgia Patrikios (STK)

Anyone got their membership pack yet? Anyone know why they are sooooo late each year? It makes no sense to me that the season ended in March, and its now the end of Feb, halfway through the season, and no membership packs?
I went to the game at Marvel on the weekend. I was a bit jealous of the Pies and Roos supporters all wearing their 2021 gear

This wasn't holding the ball either apparently...

The incredulous North player in the background after this incident says it all. Just throws her arms up in despair. There truly are no words for a decision that appalling.

I have seriously seen better umpiring when my son was playing U10's at his local club here in S.E. Queensland. For all the advances that the players have made in AFLW since its inception, it appears that the umpiring is only getting worse.

The incredulous North player in the background after this incident says it all. Just throws her arms up in despair. There truly are no words for a decision that appalling.

I have seriously seen better umpiring when my son was playing U10's at his local club here in S.E. Queensland. For all the advances that the players have made in AFLW since its inception, it appears that the umpiring is only getting worse.

On the Round 4 thread located in the women's footy thread, someone asked if the umpiring is normally this bad - I replied with "I've watched a few games this round and shaken my head during most"

Your last sentence says it all - we are wanting to see a more professional league, and we are starting to see the quality of players coming through improving year on year, but the quality of umpiring is not helping the league or the games one bit and would think that if it doesn't improve in the near future that it may well be what holds the league back

Last Time They Met
Geelong 10.7 (67) def. Richmond 7.3 (45) at Queen Elizabeth Oval, Rd 4 2020

The 10.7 scoreline was, and still is, the Cats’ highest total in the NAB AFL Women’s competition, and equal-eighth highest overall across the competition since its inception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last Time They Met
Geelong 10.7 (67) def. Richmond 7.3 (45) at Queen Elizabeth Oval, Rd 4 2020

We kicked more in that game than we have in total across our four matches so far this season. I feel almost certain we won't get near that score this weekend. And that we're every chance of handing the winless Tigers the first 'W' of their history. Surely there's virtually no other team they would prefer to be playing this weekend.

Hope the girls lift and get it done. But the Tigers would have every reason to feel confident that an almighty scrap from them might just wind up in their favour.

Didn't know you followed the women at all; do you hold out much hope for our girls prospects?

We were terrible tonight; our best score for the season but it was close to our worst loss, too - we had a couple of really strong patches in the first half, but heads dropped, we came out cold in the 2nd, and the last quarter was as woeful as just about anything I've seen dished up in the hoops.

I think back to that game in 2004 where the men's team lost to the Saints in the pre-season comp GF (at a time when any friggin' cup would have been something for a Geelong supporter - 41 years and counting at that stage), and Paul Chapman came out and controversially stated that we were nontheless ''better'' than them.
Does the women's team - still very inexperienced - have that kind of talent and confidence lurking on their list? 2004. We were 12th the previous year, yet Chappy saw the potential in that side.

We're well off the pace at the moment, and yet I hopefully see some parallels in that there is a talented young core of players learning together on the job - the results aren't going their way at the moment, and the squad will need some augmenting before it is capable of challenging the better teams, but I don't think things are hopeless for them despite a discouraging 0-4 formline and a loss to a more callow franchise.
Any update on Nina Morrison

:thumbsdown: happy to see Brown back but don't agree with the omissions

In: Rebecca Goring, Millie Brown
Out: Olivia Barber (Omitted), Laura Gardiner (Omitted)

Geelong has recalled two Cats ahead of their Round 5 clash against Richmond at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

Millie Brown has been named to make her return and will play her first AFLW game since Round 1 after recovering from a hamstring injury.

The Cats also welcome back fellow defender Rebecca Goring who missed last week’s game for work reasons.

First-year duo Laura Gardiner and Olivia Barber have been omitted.

Both Gardiner and Barber will play in Geelong’s opening VFLW clash against Collingwood on Saturday at Deakin University Elite Sports Precinct. The match will commence at midday and also feature fellow AFLW teammates Rene Caris, Darcy Moloney, Georgia Clarke, Carly Remmos and Mia Skinner.

1614235701797.png

I'd rather see them make a statement at the selection table and omit a senior player who is underperforming than omit a youngster who is developing - kinda feel like they took the easy option at the selection table

If they said they were managing Barber then I'd accept it, it's her first season and if they wanted to give her a week off then you can understand it - but to omit her & have her play VFLW just seems a bit shitty when she really hasn't done too much wrong

Yes we'd all love all our players to immediately be stars from the time they first cross the white line, but that's unrealistic and development is needed. But when senior players aren't performing at the level you'd expect of someone in their 5th season why not actually made a statement and say it's not good enough compared with seemingly giving under performing players a free run

I'd rather see them make a statement at the selection table and omit a senior player who is underperforming than omit a youngster who is developing - kinda feel like they took the easy option at the selection table

If they said they were managing Barber then I'd accept it, it's her first season and if they wanted to give her a week off then you can understand it - but to omit her & have her play VFLW just seems a bit shitty when she really hasn't done too much wrong

Yes we'd all love all our players to immediately be stars from the time they first cross the white line, but that's unrealistic and development is needed. But when senior players aren't performing at the level you'd expect of someone in their 5th season why not actually made a statement and say it's not good enough compared with seemingly giving under performing players a free run

If they were going to omit an underperforming youngster, I'd say Williams should be out before Barber. Probably wouldn't be a good look going into Indigenous Round though.

I agree with you though, a more senior player should be the one to make way - Rocky Cranston is one off the top of my head.

Hope Barber tears it up on Saturday though and is back in sooner rather than later.

Not sure I agree with those outs...

No problem with Gardiner out. She looked a long way away from being ready at this level.
Barber out is weird considering she’ll be playing VFLW this weekend.
Goring coming in is just incomprehensible. Slow of body and mind, poor disposal and mark. Offers nothing. Millie Brown can play the same role and a hell of a lot better. Step backwards IMO. I just don’t get the MC’s thinking.

If they were going to omit an underperforming youngster, I'd say Williams should be out before Barber. Probably wouldn't be a good look going into Indigenous Round though.

Williams didn't have a disposal last week and she finished the game with just a single tackle to her name - does need to improve her output, otherwise I think it's likely she'll be in the VFLW shortly. Though one thing she does bring to our forward line is some pace when the ball hits the deck which is something we lack with the likes of Boyd & Rocky up forward

With Barber omitted in curious who will be providing ruck support for O'Connor - I can see Boyd helping up forward, but can Boyd help around the ground or will her lack of speed hurt her moving between contests?

Williams didn't have a disposal last week and she finished the game with just a single tackle to her name - does need to improve her output, otherwise I think it's likely she'll be in the VFLW shortly. Though one thing she does bring to our forward line is some pace when the ball hits the deck which is something we lack with the likes of Boyd & Rocky up forward

With Barber omitted in curious who will be providing ruck support for O'Connor - I can see Boyd helping up forward, but can Boyd help around the ground or will her lack of speed hurt her moving between contests?

Can McWilliams ruck? Of course, that could be robbing Peter to pay Paul though unless we have Aasta resting at full forward rather than on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back