2021 Membership Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a new metric.

"Total memberships" has been cyncially manipulated by clubs for years. And it's getting worse.

Several of us have been banging on about "total revenue" from memberships being the only legitimate measure but I doubt we'll ever see that become the standard.

Until such time as there is an apples vs apples measure it's all a big yawn from me.

The only comparison I have a modicum of interest in is how we compare against our own numbers from year to year.

We need a new metric.

"Total memberships" has been cyncially manipulated by clubs for years. And it's getting worse.

Several of us have been banging on about "total revenue" from memberships being the only legitimate measure but I doubt we'll ever see that become the standard.

Until such time as there is an apples vs apples measure it's all a big yawn from me.

The only comparison I have a modicum of interest in is how we compare against our own numbers from year to year.
Completely agree. Using membership numbers as some dick measuring contest is dum. I get we’ll never be a Richmond and I love us for that.
More interesting are the retention figures and turning targeted areas into new members and understanding the why it has worked or not.

Like many people have gone through, there was a stage in life that was quite difficult, for a multitude of reasons, including things being pretty tight financially. So much so that I was unable to get a membership for a few years. There was one individual however that reached out and through nothing other than generosity and good spirit, provided me with a membership for a year.
I am happy to say that things are much better these days and in the interests of paying it forward I want to offer something similar to another that is struggling.
Recently I moved interstate and so would like to offer another supporter that is going through tough times, One Country (more than 120km from Melbourne CBD) or One Interstate membership (Other than Vic) for 2021.
You don’t need to share with me why you are struggling, but you are welcome to if you choose and it will be in strictest confidence. I will need personal details to process the transaction but other than that there are no strings attached.
So send us a message if it sounds like it could help you out.

Did anyone else get a text regarding a "free upgrade" due to loyalty?
Yes, but didn't it have something to do with being an AFL member? I didn't think it meant basic season ticket holders but could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS, let's not get too overwrought trying to follow the membership tally game. 1 St Kilda "member" does NOT = 1 Carlton "member" does NOT = 1 Western Bullldogs "member".

I've no idea what each of these is in fact equal to and I don't think anyone else here does either. Some clubs are giving 2-for-1 some are calling pets "members" and all sorts of other shite.

The main things that matter are (1) if we're continuing to show a profit at the end of the year and (2) if we have good sponsorships. Recently we've done pretty well in both areas. Each is a year-to-year proposition and yes ... there's always room for improvement.

FFS, let's not get too overwrought trying to follow the membership tally game. 1 St Kilda "member" does NOT = 1 Carlton "member" does NOT = 1 Western Bullldogs "member".

I've no idea what each of these is in fact equal to and I don't think anyone else here does either. Some clubs are giving 2-for-1 some are calling pets "members" and all sorts of other sh*te.

The main things that matter are (1) if we're continuing to show a profit at the end of the year and (2) if we have good sponsorships. Recently we've done pretty well in both areas. Each is a year-to-year proposition and yes ... there's always room for improvement.
We’ve lost one of our main sponsors.

I think it comes down to trusting the club and capitalizing on success. The 33,000 would be the sum total of supporters like us that are rusted on. And I honestly doubt a lot of us were recruited since the Beveridge era started.

If we had had a longer period of success, say 2015-2018, then we would have grown but instead we have been horrendously inconsistent and haven’t come close to meeting the realistic expectations of what this group is capable of. People don’t know what the plan is and what we’re trying to build.

People don’t trust the club so don’t sign on.

If we hope to grow we need a minimum of 2-3 seasons where we play our best players in position and they perform to their potential for 16-18 games of the 22. We may not win the premiership in each of those years but we will be taken seriously as a dependable contender.

Don’t care where we are on the membership premiership as long as I get good service.

the thermos is actually pretty good, much more useful to me than a 15th membership scarf.

I might even get to a game this year and actually use my membership rather than as a donation

Don’t care where we are on the membership premiership as long as I get good service.

the thermos is actually pretty good, much more useful to me than a 15th membership scarf.

I might even get to a game this year and actually use my membership rather than as a donation
How did you score a thermos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back