Unsolved The vanishing of businesswoman Melissa Caddick - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Never like to hear of a death. In that regard it’s a sad ending but it sounds like she was well and truly snagged by her own undoings.

Suicide or murder? How far away from her home was she? How did she get there without being spotted?

The foot shoe found was ASICS brand, seen being worn by Melissa on the video,
whilst being raided by ASIC

"Campers made the grim discovery as they walked along Bournda Beach south of Tathra on Sunday.

Police said they picked up the shoe, only available online, and tipped the bones out.

'The shoe is an ASICS shoe she had ordered specifically from Israel,' a senior police source said.

'As we know she spent lots of money on luxury goods. She has to order it from overseas'

Twisted case. There will be a multi part Netflix doco about this one day you'd reckon...

Suicide seems the most likely cause, but in an area with a high amount of CCTV it seems a deliberate act not to be seen, and I can't imagine people who are suicidal are too worried about being seen on CCTV.

If it's murder surely even someone as thick as her husband could see that he isn't going to be able get away with it, given all the attention she had just received..
If it does go down this route, you'd think more likely an argument that got out of control, rather than some hair brained scheme to get her out of the way and get your hands on some of her hidden cash... Surely not?

It's gonna be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Never like to hear of a death. In that regard it’s a sad ending but it sounds like she was well and truly snagged by her own undoings.

Suicide or murder? How far away from her home was she? How did she get there without being spotted?
There's sea cliffs near her home and the ocean currents flowed southward. That's what all reports are saying...

"The Marine Area Command use modelling software looking at drift patterns and coastal patterns," Assistant Commissioner Willing said.

"They advised us that an object that went into the water around the Dover Heights area on or around the 11th of November could possibly drift down as far as Bermagui and even further south, which appears to have been the case."

"When asked if the Marine Area Command modelling was "spot on", Assistant Commissioner Willing agreed."

Apparently they only found her foot in her shoe? And used it identify her via DNA.
Obviously a sad ending, but part of me is picturing her in Mexico with a prosthetic foot.

Sad, surprising, but also not surprising really.

Jamurp this made me LOL inappropriately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad news she put herself in a position of feeling cornered with no other choice. Bad news for the people who invested their life savings with her. Suicide might indicate there isn't a great bit pot of money stashed anywhere they can get at.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if it was the probable prison term that drove her to suicide (if that is what has occurred). She probably wouldn't have gotten more than 6-7 years and was still relatively young.

The financial ruin (in comparison to the life she was living) and tarnished reputation seems a more likely motive

Apparently they only found her foot in her shoe? And used it identify her via DNA.
Obviously a sad ending, but part of me is picturing her in Mexico with a prosthetic foot.
Sad outcome for all. Thoughts with her poor family. What happened to the money for the victims of her crimes? Hopefully more of her body can be found to help determine a cause of death and provide at least partial closure .

There's a 5km cliff walk that starts at Dover Heights. Shame there doesn't appear to be any CCTV of her leaving.

Hmmm, something fishy going on here. Only a foot found?

A lot of feet wash up apparently, across Canada and the US it was a real big mystery until someone did a study on why. It has to do with the way a body decomposes, the feet that are in runners are protected from the harsher elements and nibbling fish.

It turns out that in water, human bodies naturally disarticulate, or come apart at the joints, so hands and feet often disconnect from corpses after soaking in the ocean for a while.

“Feet easily disarticulate and when they are attached to a flotation device such as a running shoe, they are easily washed ashore,” wrote Gail Anderson, co-director of the Center for Forensic Research at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, in an email. “Notice there are no feet washing ashore in stiletto heels or flip-flops. Also, today’s running shoes are much more buoyant than in the past.”

Tennis shoes also keep decaying feet in a neat package rather than letting toes and heels disperse, and footwear protects feet from hungry sea creatures, which end up gnawing on other exposed areas like ankles instead.

Definitely think suicide over murder. It was literally the day after they’d raided her house.

Understand those that are skeptical about only finding a foot (which I was as well) but as my partner said (she’s a nurse), it’s incredibly difficult to stop someone bleeding to death once you cut that off.

The other thing that might convince them is the markings around the foot - IE, is there teeth marks that indicate somethings bitten her in the water.

Sad outcome for all. Thoughts with her poor family. What happened to the money for the victims of her crimes? Hopefully more of her body can be found to help determine a cause of death and provide at least partial closure .

It's the worst, saddest outcome of all possibilities for everybody involved, her family must be absolutely devastated and some of the people who have lost their retirement funds were a lifelong friend so they will have to try and reconcile that as well.

It turns out that in water, human bodies naturally disarticulate, or come apart at the joints, so hands and feet often disconnect from corpses after soaking in the ocean for a while.

“Feet easily disarticulate and when they are attached to a flotation device such as a running shoe, they are easily washed ashore,” wrote Gail Anderson, co-director of the Center for Forensic Research at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, in an email. “Notice there are no feet washing ashore in stiletto heels or flip-flops. Also, today’s running shoes are much more buoyant than in the past.”

Tennis shoes also keep decaying feet in a neat package rather than letting toes and heels disperse, and footwear protects feet from hungry sea creatures, which end up gnawing on other exposed areas like ankles instead.

OT, but thanks Kurve. I'm adding this interesting factoid to my list of quirky resources I use in workshop facilitation to encourage people to analyse their assumptions underpinning their opinions and decisions, and to seek alternative explanations and solutions to problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back