Teams 2021 St.Kilda Best 22 (assuming all players are fit)

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Round 1 Team now, since injurie's

B. Highmore Howard Wilkie
H.B. Coffield Carlisle Long
C. Hill Clark Webster
H.F. Billings Battle Butler
F. Gresham King Membrey
Foll. Ryder Steele Higgins
Inter. Hannebery, Hunter, Ross, Sinclair
Emerg. McKernan, Dunstan, Kent, Lonie

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

C. Hill Clark Webster
F. Gresham King Membrey

Good team, I would maybe have McKernan ahead of Hunter but other than that I can't fault it apart from Webster, I would have Jones if he was fit.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

C. Hill Clark Webster
F. Gresham King Membrey
I reckon we could be seeing lonie on the bench instead of hunter. Or even mason wood.

Obviously the quality is debatable but this would have to be the deepest midfield we’ve had for at least a decade. It’s been years since we’ve had this many legitimate options, just a matter of how good are they and if it can all come together.

Round 1 - Crouch, Jones and Paton out

B: Long Frawley Wilkie
HB: Highmore Howard Coffield
C: Billings Steele Hill
HF: Gresham Membrey Higgins
FF: Butler King McKernan

R: Ryder Ross Clark

Int: Sinclair Hannebery Battle Kent

By round 3 Crouch and Jones come in for Kent and probably an injured Hannebery.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
FB: Wilkie, Frawley, Long
HB: Coffield, Howard, Highmore
R: Ryder, Steele, Gresham
C: Hill, Ross, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Membrey, Higgins
FF: Butler, King, McKernan
IC: Clark, Jones, Battle, Hannerbery

If Hannerbery isn't right, Bytel

Highmore > Geary (depending on match ups)
McKernan > Marshall
Hannerbery > Crouch

that last one was hard, I honestly don't know who I would drop to get Crouch in - Battle and Clark deserve their senior opportunity, while whipping boy Sinclair has proven himself to be a best 18 player this preseason.. tough for one player...

scotteydog

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
New Round 1 Team:

B. Webster Frawley Wilkie
H.B. Coffield Howard Long
C. Hill Clark Sinclair
H.F. Higgins Battle Wood
F. Butler King Membrey
Foll. Ryder Steele Gresham
Inter. Billings, Bytel, Hunter, Lonie

Last edited:

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
An update following yesterdays hitout.

Round 1 on Projected Availability

FB:C.WilkieJ.FrawleyJ.Webster
HB:N.CoffieldD.HowardJ.Sinclair
C:S.RossH.ClarkB.Hill
HF:J.HigginsJ.BattleJ.Billings
FF:D.ButlerM.KingT.Membrey
R:P.RyderJ.SteeleJ.Gresham
I/C:T.HighmoreB.LongJ.Bytel
J.LonieJ.Carlisle (Emg.)L.Dunstan (Emg.)M.Wood (Emg.)

In: Webster; Frawley; Lonie;
Out: Carlisle; Dunstan; McKernan

Frawley or Carlisle is a lineball call. I feel that we are better with Carlisle in the side, but I feel that Frawley is more dependable. Frawley's spot to lose right now, but I would be happy with either option.

I was really impressed with Higgins work all over the ground, Lonie was also deadly around the forward flank, his ability to hit up targets in a congested forward 50 could be a real bonus. Happy for Higgins and Billings to spend more time in the midfield to allow Lonie to come in for a limited midfielder in Dunstan.

Webster is in because it seems like he is favoured over Highmore (who just sneaks in for a bench possie). On ability alone, Webster is clearly best 22, I just have no faith in his body.

Mason Wood is very unlucky, he has done absolutely everything that has asked for him. He just has the unfortunate position of needing to displace one of King, Battle or Membrey. Just not going to happen.

Round 1 if All Available

FB:C.WilkieJ.FrawleyB.Paton
HB:J.SinclairD.HowardN.Coffield
C:D.HanneberyJ.SteeleB.Hill
HF:J.HigginsR.MarshallJ.Billings
R:P.RyderB.CrouchJ.Gresham
I/C:J.BattleH.ClarkS.Ross
Z.JonesJ.Carlisle (Emg.)J.Geary (Emg.)B.Long (Emg.)

In: Frawley; Sinclair
Out: Carlisle; Geary

The club are completely buzzing over Sinclair's pre-season, I just don't see him being left out of the planning at the moment. Writing is on the wall for Geary, I think he knows it and is transitioning towards coaching.

The team I hope establishes itself as our best 22 throughout the year (assuming all fit)

FB:C.WilkieD.HowardB.Paton
HB:N.CoffieldT.HighmoreJ.Sinclair
C:B.HillJ.SteeleS.Ross
HF:J.BillingsJ.BattleJ.Gresham
R:R.MarshallB.CrouchH.Clark
I/C:P.RyderZ.JonesJ.Bytel
J.HigginsJ.Carlisle (Emg.)B.Long (Emg.)M.Wood (Emg.)

In: Sinclair
Out: Long

This line-up has been adjusted a bit more than the personnel changes would suggest.

I have moved Battle from CHB to CHF, I think it's time to put my hand up and admit that Battle's best position is as a forward. I love him in defence, I love his versatility and none of that will go away. But he really could be an incredible understudy to King. I see him playing more of the Riewoldt role up the ground but being less of a focal point in the forward 50. The prospect of King, Battle, Membrey (and Marshall when there) all being up an about has real shaded of 2004/5 in the Riewoldt, Gehrig, Hamill (and Kosi) era.

I have gone with just the one key defender. Wilkie, Highmore and Coffield are all great interceptors who can play taller than their height. Not many teams have two genuine KPF threats so I think we could manage. We have the luxury of being able to Battle down there when they need more height of if Howard gets hurt.

Sinclair in for Long. I would like both of these guys in our 22, but the reality is that they're both in that 20-25 range. If Sinclair can consistently get 20 possies bringing the ball out of defence we would look a far better side. Long's aggression brings a hard edge to the side, but he hurts himself and the team when it becomes reckless.

The final shift, was putting Marshall to the starting ruck position, this was mostly because I wanted Battle starting at CHF so our forward line is comprised of the core group. Marshall is just too damn good to not be in the starting 18, there is also some wishful thinking that his ruckwork will improve enough that his around the ground work could make him just as worthy a starting ruck as Ryder.

I also like the idea of Ryder playing reduced game time, being able to bring him in for the clutch, freeing Marshall to be another midfield option or even another marking option to stretch teams defence.

Imagine if you're playing the saints, 3 points up with a minute to go and you see Ryder come in for the centre bounce and Marshall runs up to join Battle, Membrey and King in the forward line with Gresh, Higgins and Butler all looking for the crumb. Frightening prospect.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll have a crack at howI think we might line up round one, assuming Hanners, Jones and Gresham are fit

Wilkie - Frawley - Long
Coffield - Howard - Sinclair
Billings - Steele - Hill
Higgins - Battle - Membrey
Gresham - King - Butler

Ryder - Jones - Ross

Clark, Bytel, Wood, Hannebery

Most of the side picks itself atm. The only tough one I see is that last small-mid size defender which if probably down to Long and Webster with the possibility of Highmore as a taller option.

I expect Battle to play the forward ruck role which probably opens up a spot for Wood to play high half forward if he can continue his form.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
An update following yesterdays hitout.

Round 1 on Projected Availability

FB:C.WilkieJ.FrawleyJ.Webster
HB:N.CoffieldD.HowardJ.Sinclair
C:S.RossH.ClarkB.Hill
HF:J.HigginsJ.BattleJ.Billings
R:P.RyderJ.SteeleJ.Gresham
I/C:T.HighmoreB.LongJ.Bytel
J.LonieJ.Carlisle (Emg.)L.Dunstan (Emg.)M.Wood (Emg.)

In: Webster; Frawley; Lonie;
Out: Carlisle; Dunstan; McKernan

I like your round one team with projected availability however i'd replace Webster with McKernan/Hunter and start Highmore in Websters spot.

Ryder will have no chop out and at his age we can't stress the big man playing every minute as he's so important to our season. Got to manage him really well.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like your round one team with projected availability however i'd replace Webster with McKernan/Hunter and start Highmore in Websters spot.

Ryder will have no chop out and at his age we can't stress the big man playing every minute as he's so important to our season. Got to manage him really well.
Hunter isn't good enough. He's there for emergencies only I'd imagine.

I think we will be happy to give Battle a decent run up forward and pinch hit him in the ruck rather than McKernan.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think we will be happy to give Battle a decent run up forward and pinch hit him in the ruck rather than McKernan.

If battle can ruck at 193cm then sure i am all for it. I have not seen any evidence he can though.

If battle can ruck at 193cm then sure i am all for it. I have not seen any evidence he can though.
I’m sure he can ruck about as well as Astbury or Shaun Grigg. A second ruck can be handy for 5 mins a quarter but I’m not sure if it’s required. Only risk is if the main man goes down during a game.

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yep, my preference will be to have Battle have 5 minutes a quarter, maybe have Howard take a couple of minutes as well.

If we look shambolic in those Ryder-less minutes, then have a look at how McKernan goes.

I’m sure he can ruck about as well as Astbury or Shaun Grigg. A second ruck can be handy for 5 mins a quarter but I’m not sure if it’s required. Only risk is if the main man goes down during a game.

In game injuries can cause some pretty bad problems , especially in those speciality players.

Battle makes us pretty versatile.

Ruckman goes down... Howard to Ruck, Back line of Frawley and Battle is not too shabby.
Same if one of our key defenders goes down.

We wouldn't be the only club to play an undersized 2nd ruck.

The only reason 2 rucks worked so well for us last year I is because we played 2 AFL quality rucks

I don't mind McKernan coming in for Marshall.
He can pretty much hold down the same role, and then its seamless when Marshall comes back in.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't mind McKernan coming in for Marshall.
He can pretty much hold down the same role, and then its seamless when Marshall comes back in.

I can understand the argument for McKernan, but in my mind we are already trying to juggle too many key forwards and it means Battle is used in a number of different roles including the wing which I just don't think he's great at playing.

This is a great opportunity to play Battle predominantly forward.

I can understand why we do it with Marshall, but McKernan just isn't near as good as a ruckman or around the ground.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Paton*
Marshall*
B.Crouch*
Geary*

B: Wilkie - Frawley/Carlisle - B.Long
HB: Coffield - Howard - H.Clark (Webster)
C: Billings - Steele - B.Hill (Sinclair)
HF: Butler - Membrey - Higgins (Gresham)
F: Lonie - B.King - Battle
R: Ryder - Z.Jones - S.Ross (Hannebery)

Emg: Highmore, M.Wood, Bytel, Dunstan, Carlisle/Frawley

I have picked Webster over Highmore for now

Anyone know when Gearys likely return is?

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Paton*
Marshall*
B.Crouch*
Geary*

B: Wilkie - Frawley/Carlisle - B.Long
HB: Coffield - Howard - H.Clark (Webster)
C: Billings - Steele - B.Hill (Sinclair)
HF: Butler - Membrey - Higgins (Gresham)
F: Lonie - B.King - Battle
R: Ryder - Z.Jones - S.Ross (Hannebery)

Emg: Highmore, M.Wood, Bytel, Dunstan, Carlisle/Frawley

I have picked Webster over Highmore for now

Anyone know when Gearys likely return is?
Sinclair looks more likely to play the back half rotation

Back