Club History David "Swan" McKay elevated to Carlton Legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I should know more about him than I do.

Here's McKay's blueseum page:
http://www.blueseum.org/David+McKay

Now us whipper snappers will gather round the fire while you oldies partake in some good fashioned reminiscing.

I put little store in these silly "legend" "hall of fame" tags - like I don't know any of these players considered aren't straightout deadset superstars without some silly dinner, drinks and ceremony to tell me. He was as good a KPP as we have ever had. The hands, the kick - and of course that most fateful kick of all....."McKay to the wing position on the Members stand side.........."

A humble champ. Ask Royce what he thought of playing on David Mckay.

Last edited:

Swan played under Percy:rolleyes:

Yeah, read my ninja edit as I didn't know if you meant Perc as a player who had always played under those guys or Perc as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
When i think of Carlton Legend, i think of people like Swan McKay. The term is not diminished at all by Swan's inclusion to the group. He was an absolute star. A true KPP swingman who would star down back and up forward. And Carlton thru and thru since the day he walked in the door over 50 years ago.

4 Premierships over an 11 year span is an awesome calling card. A great from week to week, but also lifted again in big games.

Some of the convo's he had with other Carlton folk, who looked at life a bit differently than Swan, would have been interesting affairs lol.

So what aboutJones?

McKay started playing in 1969 and won flags in 1970 under Barassi, 1972 (Nicholls), 1979 (Jezza) and 1981 (Parkin)
and it would 1980 too if we had of had any decent coach other than Percy !!!

He retired at the end of 1981, playing 263 games, kicking 277 goals.

My personal highlight of watching the Swan play, was witnessing him kick 8 beautiful goals
and clunking 14 marks V. the Bummers at Windy Hill in 1975. He had the ball on a string that day !!!

The only player to play across the 1968 to 1982 under all the coaches: Barrassi, Nicholls, Jezza and Parkin. It would be great to hear his view of each coach

81 granny when he was on Peter Moore for a while and ran Moore ragged to take advantage of the hammy injury. Smart, athletic, versatile and a humble gentleman to boot.

Not to be picky but are you sure that was McKay playing on Moore, as I have very strong memories of Scott Howell playing that role on '81 GF day ?

Not to be picky but are you sure that was McKay playing on Moore, as I have very strong memories of Scott Howell playing that role on '81 GF day ?

Swan kicked the first and last goal of the game.

Last kick in footy was a snag in a gf.......pretty cool.😎

Swan kicked the first and last goal of the game.

Last kick in footy was a snag in a gf.......pretty cool.😎

Another 5yards from Swan and it would have landed right in my lap. Had a great view of it. Arms went up soon as it left the boot.

Swan just jogged off all laconic as usual as all the excitable mozzies jumped all over him and each other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back