Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that you're a Melbourne supporter, but come on.

Just look at the second half of last year for example. He ranked 1st in the league for contested marks, and 2nd in the league (behind Hawkins) for average goals per game.

Definitely primed for a breakout year.

i get that you're a carlton supporter but, yep, i felt that way on the back of weideman's end to 2018

weed talked a big game heading into 2019 and failed to deliver; hopefully for mckay's sake he takes the bull by the proverbial horns and delivers on his potential

If that was the case then Carlton are better off not even asking the question to Merrett

Bombers have ample cap space to match a bid from Carlton and if the have a reasonable year and are offered pick 10-12 for Merrett then they will match the bid and force trade. After the Cameron fiasco clubs would now be looking very closely at matching
If Essendon finish bottom 3 or 4 they'd get a top 4 pick for Merrett compo. Surely they don't match that.

You have me convinced. Time to cut our losses.

Would you take him off our hands for a second?

Probably a 1st. Not the 2 x 1st that people are saying he is worth... based on his potential. Which given his age is ridiculous.

Are you happy with what he has done as a 23 year old who was drafted with a top 10 pick 5 years ago?

Are you happy with what he has done as a 23 year old who was drafted with a top 10 ipck 5 years ago?

Of course I am! He missed basically his first year due to injury and turned 23 1 month ago (i.e. this year).

I want to see him kill a few more defenders by running through them (legally) but I couldnt be happier with his progress so far.

I dont think essendon finishes bottom 4

Adelaide
North
Hawks
Gold Coast
Swans
Fremantle

Im thinking the Bombers will be 10-12 range this year
I slightly disagree. I don't think Essendon will do as bad as some think, but I reckon they'll finish around 12-16th.

This is how I see the bottom 6 looking (in descending order):
Sydney
GWS
Essendon
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Adelaide

Probably a 1st. Not the 2 x 1st that people are saying he is worth... based on his potential. Which given his age is ridiculous.

Are you happy with what he has done as a 23 year old who was drafted with a top 10 pick 5 years ago?

If you're not trolling, I have no idea what to say... Utter drivel.

McKay vs. Hawkins at 22 yo
McKay vs. Lynch at 22 yo
McKay vs. Dixon at 22 yo

Yeah, let's chuck him out :rolleyes:

If you're not trolling, I have no idea what to say... Utter drivel.

McKay vs. Hawkins at 22 yo
McKay vs. Lynch at 22 yo
McKay vs. Dixon at 22 yo

Yeah, let's chuck him out :rolleyes:

By age 23 Hawkins had kicked 160 goals. Not sure he is a good one to use.

Dickson has never been as good as his claimed potential.

And Lynch was wasted at GCS and left as a free agent.

But hey, keep him amd pay him the big bucks. It only helps all the other clubs.

truueeee keeping our only reliable key forward only helps the other clubs. Makes sense.

Dixon and Hawkins are the incumbent KPFs for AA and Lynch is of a similar size and drafted one position later than McKay in his year. They are the pre-eminent forwards of the competition in my mind, which is why they were used. Your excuses as to why they aren't good comparisons are pathetic tbh, grasping at straws stuff. McKay is tracking just fine which I have shown, you have absolutely nothing tangible to back up your opinions.

Your inability to recognise that big guys (especially McKay being the youngest in his draft) take time and that Harry has shown significant positive signs and ability just comes across as someone who doesn't watch much footy. Hawkins took time, so did Dixon and Lynch. So has essentially every other KPF ever except for a few rare exceptions like Buddy, Kernahan etc.

Every Carlton supporter who has half a brain would be more than happy to see him sign up on a healthy, long term contract. He certainly will not be traded for a single first round pick... that is truly laughable.

Dixon and Hawkins are the incumbent KPFs for AA and Lynch is of a similar size and drafted one position later than McKay in his year. They are the pre-eminent forwards of the competition in my mind, which is why they were used. Your excuses as to why they aren't good comparisons are pathetic tbh, grasping at straws stuff. McKay is tracking just fine which I have shown, you have absolutely nothing tangible to back up your opinions.

Your inability to recognise that big guys (especially McKay being the youngest in his draft) take time and that Harry has shown significant positive signs and ability just comes across as someone who doesn't watch much footy. Hawkins took time, so did Dixon and Lynch. So has essentially every other KPF ever except for a few rare exceptions like Buddy, Kernahan etc.

Every Carlton supporter who has half a brain would be more than happy to see him sign up on a healthy, long term contract. He certainly will not be traded for a single first round pick... that is truly laughable.

He is now 23. How long does being young and needing time make for a good excuse?

The King brothers did pretty well in their first season, BTW.

He is now 23. How long does being young and needing time make for a good excuse?

The King brothers did pretty well in their first season, BTW.

It's not an excuse, it is reality. Why are you pretending that I haven't compared the 22 year old seasons of 3 of the best KPFs in the game today where McKay stacks up really well against? Again, it just doesn't seem like you watch much footy and I know you don't like it because it doesn't suit you.

Good for the King brothers. Harry's first season was a wash as he missed it totally through serious injury. He was also the youngest player in his draft. His 2nd year he had similar issues and played only 2 games. Comparing both the Kings against Harry at a similar age is not something you really want to do btw, because that also goes against your point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not an excuse, it is reality. Why are you pretending that I haven't compared the 22 year old seasons of 3 of the best KPFs in the game today where McKay stacks up really well against? Again, it just doesn't seem like you watch much footy and I know you don't like it because it doesn't suit you.

Good for the King brothers. Harry's first season was a wash as he missed it totally through serious injury. He was also the youngest player in his draft. His 2nd year he had similar issues and played only 2 games. Comparing both the Kings against Harry at a similar age is not something you really want to do btw, because that also goes against your point.

No. They would be worth 2 x 1st round picks. And have performed better at an earlier age.

If McKay is worth at least 2 x 1st, how will his season go compared to say Mitch Lewis, who I suspect many on here would say is a 3rd round at best ?

Lewis is younger, but his best season was 20 goals from 12 games. McKay is 26 goals from 20 games.

Lewis was pick 74 or 76 BTW. And had a shoulder reco 2 years ago.

No. They would be worth 2 x 1st round picks. And have performed better at an earlier age.

If McKay is worth at least 2 x 1st, how will his season go compared to say Mitch Lewis, who I suspect many on here would say is a 3rd round at best ?

Lewis is younger, but his best season was 20 goals from 12 games. McKay is 26 goals from 20 games.

Harry had almost 60 shots on goal in his fourth year (before turning 22) when he got a reasonable run at it so he has shown ability. He has some elite traits but just hasn’t put it together yet which may or may not happen but his trajectory is certainly good. Still younger then a player like Tim English but it’s time to actually put the performances on the board.

Talk of one or two firsts is just lazy as either can be more valuable then the other. What I do bet is that other teams will be putting big offers in front of him and that usually means he would cost a lot in a trade. No one will be doing that for Lewis at this minute.

Last edited:

Keep sticking your head in the sand and ignoring points that go against whatever it is you're trying to achieve here. It's pretty clear to me you're not worth having a conversation with as you just want to ram your opinion and refuse to look at anything to the contrary.

It's not hard to outperform someone who was injured for their first two seasons. If that's your smoking gun to show the Kings are far superior to McKay I really don't know what to tell you, because that's stupid. Have a look at a comparison once they got on the park... I doubt you will because it would be inconvenient for you just like the other comparisons I've made that you won't acknowledge.

Enjoy having the last word, because I'm not wasting anymore time with you :thumbsu:

Ben King > Harry > Max IMO

Ben King > Harry > Max IMO
Is this the same Ben King who averages less disposals, disposal efficiency, kicking efficiency, inside 50s, metres gained, clearances, tackles, marks, contested marks, marks on lead, intercept marks, marks inside 50, tackles, pressure acts and goals than Harry McKay across their careers?

Harry had almost 60 shots on goal in his fourth year (before turning 22) when he got a reasonable run at it so he has shown ability. He has some elite traits but just hasn’t put it together yet which may or may not happen but his trajectory is certainly good. Still younger then a player like Tim English but it’s time to actually put the performances on the board.

Talk of one or two firsts is just lazy as either can be more valuable then the other. What I do bet is that other teams will be putting big offers in front of him and that usually means he would cost a lot in a trade. No one will be doing that for Lewis at this minute.

So how will McKay go compared to Lewis this year ?

Agreed. But if he and Lewis have similar years is one still worth 2 x 1st and the other still worth a 3rd?

McKay will be 24 in 2022 and Lewis will be 23.

At what point does McKay's value drop off if he continues to have average years ?
Harry will be getting offers at the moment purely based on the potential teams see in him. If that potential isn’t starting to turn into performances this year then his value will drop this year. In saying that if you account for the 20% less game time last year Harry avg the equivalent of almost two goals a game so if he performs similarly over a full season he actually doesn’t have to improve much and he could easily kick 40goals and if sides see that they would still be offering big $

i just doubt any team would even enquire about harry, he wont go anywhere and they all know that. the only team that may splash cash to try is the team that does it every year, north, brother ben may try to get into his ear. But with carlton on the up and him as the main focus i dont see him entertaining the idea of going somewhere else, most teams would know that as well.

i just doubt any team would even enquire about harry, he wont go anywhere and they all know that. the only team that may splash cash to try is the team that does it every year, north, brother ben may try to get into his ear. But with carlton on the up and him as the main focus i dont see him entertaining the idea of going somewhere else, most teams would know that as well.
Him and Ben had issues in the same side at Gippy, lead to Ben taking time off, I think they'd both be happy to be on separate sides

Him and Ben had issues in the same side at Gippy, lead to Ben taking time off, I think they'd both be happy to be on separate sides
due to both wanting to play the same role, roles are now determined at the top level, ben is a backman, harry a fwd, all water under the bridge. but as i said, harry aint leaving carlton so nothing to see here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back