Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Na mate I will leave the begging for Jeff Kennett I have no interest in st kilda selling any games we have finally got a decent team

plus 19m debt and 5 members?

As Melbourne 2018 will tell you, one swallow does not a summer make.

Heck you made b2b grand finals in 2009-10 and you’re still broke and a very little football club.

Not to mention the several million Hawthorn has paid in ‘equalisation’ taxes over the past decade have fundamentally guaranteed your football clubs existence

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
plus 19m debt and 5 members?

As Melbourne 2018 will tell you, one swallow does not a summer make.

Heck you made b2b grand finals in 2009-10 and you’re still broke and a very little football club.

Not to mention the several million Hawthorn has paid in ‘equalisation’ taxes over the past decade have fundamentally guaranteed your football clubs existence
No need to be salty mate I know it sucks loosing your cash cow the tip at dingley will be sitting idle for a while now 👍

Subsiding your tourism industry. That's why you do it.

If he pulled the pin on North and the Hawks at the end of this year, it's a decision of his government, not the AFL. And when tourism operators start getting shirty as their income declines, they would be best to remember that.

Yep just imagine how the tourism industry would do with our own team, no need to subsidise North Melbourne. North need to stand on their own feet and stop being subsidised by Tasmania.

tassielions

Debutant
Nov 12, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I’m with the premier the AFL have basically played Tasmania as fools for the last two decades. It’s about time we hold the cards footy is dying in tassie. East Devonport looks like it might fold its senior team, the state league has no team in the nw coast participation is low. the AFL have held tassie in contempt we are the cash cow that finance hawthorn an my team NM. They fixture poor drawing teams and wonder why the crowds are dropping.there is onlyy so many times we can watch eagles Fremantle port Adelaide each year. I hope the jack jumpers concept is successful like the hurricanes. Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.
That's because cricket isn't run by stuffy boring old business people who ruin everything and only care about numbers. AFL headquarters are a bunch of embarrassing nerds who think AFL is just a commodity to try and maximise profits and they have no clue what they are doing. That's why they came up with:
9400904-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yet they have had our business case for a year and now need another year for their own review,just another delay tactic because they don't want tell Tassie they don't want a team here.

Treating people like fools is a measure of their own self importance.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I’m with the premier the AFL have basically played Tasmania as fools for the last two decades. It’s about time we hold the cards footy is dying in tassie. East Devonport looks like it might fold its senior team, the state league has no team in the nw coast participation is low. the AFL have held tassie in contempt we are the cash cow that finance hawthorn an my team NM. They fixture poor drawing teams and wonder why the crowds are dropping.there is onlyy so many times we can watch eagles Fremantle port Adelaide each year. I hope the jack jumpers concept is successful like the hurricanes. Cricket could have left tassie Out when they reformatted the big bash league to franchise model but didn’t. time for Tassie to grab the pitch forks and assemble the angry mob and say we aren’t copping this anymore.

Huffing & puffing wont work, you have to be prepared to fold your cards & take the money OFF the table. Short term pain is nothing compared to whatl you've copped it for generations.

Huffing & puffing wont work, you have to be prepared to fold your cards & take the money OFF the table. Short term pain is nothing compared to whatl you've copped it for generations.

Yep time to walk away from throwing $'s at the AFL.

North sell games, the Hawks sold a sponsorship deal.

Sell / sold - not sure what Tasmania has been paying for has been worth the investment. Both Hawthorn and North have benefited Tasmania not as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Anyone suggesting the Northern Territory as a 20th team is in fantasy land. They wouldn't have more than 6,000 members at most.

If you're going to 20. The third team would surely need to be a third Perth side.
dbaa9d5851f43552b1ce72b7fd195f88.gif

Running a national sport competition should be all about maximising numbers by creating soulless corporate franchises in growing markets, and not about giving people a product that they can care about and support.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I think the Tasmanian Saints has a good ring to it though :) Nick might make it happen :tongueoutv1:
The are the only relocation there that may ever work.
The connection with Baldock and Riewoldt is probably enough to sell the idea for a lot of locals.
If they renamed themselves Southern Saints and relocated there it would have some hurdles but eventually probably work like South Melbourne relocating to Sydney. Still, I prefer and hope Tassie get their own team from scratch with some green in their jumper.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The are the only relocation there that may ever work.
The connection with Baldock and Riewoldt is probably enough to sell the idea for a lot of locals.
If they renamed themselves Southern Saints and relocated there it would have some hurdles but eventually probably work like South Melbourne relocating to Sydney. Still, I prefer and hope Tassie get their own team from scratch with some green in their jumper.

So you accept a relocation will be a very long wait for success - Melburnians were whinging about Gold Coast after a couple of years & it wasnt even a relocation.
A disastrous weakening of our game to put another 2nd tier list in to the player pool.
Tas do indeed deserve a team & not one weakened by a history of failure.

Subsiding your tourism industry. That's why you do it.
If only there were other options available to subsidize the tourism industry.......

Hang on, here's an idea - how about Tassie having its own side. Now that would be great for tourism.......

Good luck to the premier who stops AFL footy being played in Tasmania.
It won't be on the premier and even if were, he'd only be stopping a half-arsed, second rate arrangement that treats Tasmania like ****.

"AFL Footy being played in Tasmania" currently = feeding the peasants crumbs and expecting them to be grateful for it.

Fancy having North play in Hobart and expecting locals with pre-existing allegiances to other clubs to embrace the concept and be thankful for it. Ditto for the Launny arrangement with Hawthorn.

If I were still a local I'd be far more interested in making the occasional trip to Melbourne than watching what is being fed to Tasmanians currently.

Geezus.

It won't be on the premier and even if were, he'd only be stopping a half-arsed, second rate arrangement that treats Tasmania like ****.

"AFL Footy being played in Tasmania" currently = feeding the peasants crumbs and expecting them to be grateful for it.

Fancy having North play in Hobart and expecting locals with pre-existing allegiances to other clubs to embrace the concept and be thankful for it. Ditto for the Launny arrangement with Hawthorn.

If I were still a local I'd be far more interested in making the occasional trip to Melbourne than watching what is being fed to Tasmanians currently.

Geezus.

Yep exactly, live in Hobart have very little interest in watching North's game against GWS etc., organise regular trips to Melb for several games in
Melbounre but if we had our own team would attend games here and in Launceston plus travel inter state occasionally

Yep exactly, live in Hobart have very little interest in watching North's game against GWS etc., organise regular trips to Melb for several games in
Melbounre but if we had our own team would attend games here and in Launceston plus travel inter state occasionally
But the AFL is doing you a favour Verdun, you are expected to be grateful for the crumbs you are being fed......

Here's the Hobart H&A games in 2019:
North vs - Sydney, GWS, St Kilda & Melbourne
And Launny:
Hawthorn vs - Carlton, Port, Fremantle, Brisbane

If I was living there (and hadn't moved to Sydney) I'd only go to the Carlton game (for obvious reasons). If I was living there given I have lived in Sydney, I'd go to the Swans game as well.

Why would I want to watch any of the other games? I'd support local footy in some way instead.

I gather you would be the same except switch St Kilda for Carlton and drop Sydney.

If it were a local team though I'd attend every home game, be it in Hobart or Launny.

And this is what is being dished up to life long Tasmanian AFL supporters in the name of "AFL footy being played in Tasmania".

"Now, be good little Taswegians and be grateful for the scraps we are giving you."

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Geezus.
If the Tasmanian Government doesn't sign a new contract for Hawthorn and North Melbourne, how is that not on the premier? It's his choice.

Look, I genuinely want a Tasmanian side, preferably within five years - and a new team, not a merger or relocated side. And I want North Melbourne to play all its home games in Melbourne, forever. I've argued a lot on this site that playing home games elsewhere hurts the fabric of the club. We didn't get the traditional boost in memberships after our late 90s success in part because he were constantly being talked about as moving or merging. And we feel more than most the pain of a potential relocation of a club.

But the premier having a hissy fit doesn't help your case - his "give us a timeline by the end of the week" schtick would piss me off if I were the AFL. Sure it plays well to the locals, but you don't need to impress them, you need the AFL.

There is a sense of entitlement among supporters of a Tasmanian side that you need to get out of your system. Whether you like it or not, Tasmania gets a side when it is proven that it benefits the AFL. Gold Coast and GWS can point to higher TV revenue, plus significant increases in participation in those markets. The numbers in the taskforce documents (which I have read part of - not the full 200+ pages, admittedly) don't blow me away. And particularly post-COVID, and with the change in the way that people consume media in the last five years, some of the numbers are positively heroic.

I won't shed a tear if we finish up in Hobart at the end of this year, but if you think footy is struggling in Tassie now, take AFL footy off the table for five years and see how it goes then.

If the Tasmanian Government doesn't sign a new contract for Hawthorn and North Melbourne, how is that not on the premier? It's his choice.

Look, I genuinely want a Tasmanian side, preferably within five years - and a new team, not a merger or relocated side. And I want North Melbourne to play all its home games in Melbourne, forever. I've argued a lot on this site that playing home games elsewhere hurts the fabric of the club. We didn't get the traditional boost in memberships after our late 90s success in part because he were constantly being talked about as moving or merging. And we feel more than most the pain of a potential relocation of a club.

8his "give us a timeline by the end of the week" schtick would piss me off if I were the AFL. Sure it plays well to the locals, but you don't need to impress them, you need the AFL.

There is a sense of entitlement among supporters of a Tasmanian side that you need to get out of your system. Whether you like it or not, Tasmania gets a side when it is proven that it benefits the AFL. Gold Coast and GWS can point to higher TV revenue, plus significant increases in participation in those markets. The numbers in the taskforce documents (which I have read part of - not the full 200+ pages, admittedly) don't blow me away. And particularly post-COVID, and with the change in the way that people consume media in the last five years, some of the numbers are positively heroic.

I won't shed a tear if we finish up in Hobart at the end of this year, but if you think footy is struggling in Tassie now, take AFL footy off the table for five years and see how it goes then.
Someone has to call the AFL's bluff eventually, else the current second rate arrangement (ie the state being milked by clubs such as yours) will continue ad infinitum.

As for the bolded, if you want to accuse me of having a sense of entitlement all good - in return, all you are one of many who has been brainwashed into thinking that all that matters is money, ratings, "expansion", etc.

You are ignorant of the fact that the AFL's responsibility isn't just to grow the game - it's also to ensure the health of the game in existing areas. It's the custodian of the game, that's the mantle it took on (but has pretty much abandoned, clearly).

Tasmania is an existing heartland area - it doesn't have to generate increased TV ratings, make more money, etc to justify an AFL side. That's just bullshit criteria from an organization that has clearly forgotten why it is there.

The fact that a Tasmanian side would service an existing AFL area and consolidate (and help re-establish) the game there is just as important as putting a club into a brand new market. That's justification enough (provided of course it presents a viable business plan, which I am sure it can).

Someone made the point on the main board which sums up the AFL - Tassie would have more chance of getting its own side if it were a Rugby League state than an AFL one. And I agree. Let that sink in.

As for your final comment, all the AFL needs to do is commit to a Tassie side in 2025 and I am sure a way will be found to keep AFL footy played there in the interim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back