Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

We all agree that SPS plays better in the midfield, but who takes his spot on the HBF? Ramsay? Re-sign Polson? I think you're forgetting we had both Newman and Marchy injured.
I was commenting on the fact someone said he was unfit (don't know if that is true) , and questioned his selection.

At the end of the day I believe in selection integrity and I hope we dont gift games based on talent alone.

For a long while, the list has been calling out for a Tony Lynn-style of player. Somebody who is not at the standard of the top echelon, but who can come in and get the job done if called on. Rhino O’Sullivan was another player of the same ilk.

This century, we’ve too often had to play kids from the get go (Murphy, Gibbs, etc). The advantage of being able to get development time into guys like Dow, Stocker, O’Brien, etc is that when they’re eventually called upon due to injury, they can hopefully provide a competent replacement for whoever has gone out. For each of those guys (and eventually Carroll, Durdin, Philp and others), we are talking not just about 5 or 10 games of development, we are talking about a serious block of development across several pre seasons and seasons.

Anyway, yesterday was a pretty soft hit out for both sides. But what shone through was that we are now developing that next level who can come in and make a difference when called upon. And we haven’t had that for many, many years.

Gibbo, Martin, Fogarty, Williams, Saad, Betts, Newman and Newnes have all been added in the past few years and these 8 experienced bodies have made a massive difference. Leaves very few spots for marginal performers and none for the kids.

Which is the way it should be but hasn't been for a long long time.

If we ever get a good run with injuries there will be 6+ in our VFL who would be in most other AFL teams.

Having said that... Depth will get us into finals but stars get you into the top 4. We need a bunch of these guys going to the next level - and have a season like Doc did when he was 22 and made AA.

The more I think about it the more important Charlie Curnow seems. not telling anyone anything they don't already know there though.

Anyone know what Marchbank's status is? I'm assuming still injured.
Late 2019 he did his neck. Early 2020 he did his knee. Mid 2020 he did his hammy. Late 2020/Early 2021 he did his calf.

Honestly don't have any expectations on him. Not only to put less pressure on the bloke, but also to allow myself to prepare for the inevitable... another future injury.

Seems to be lots of talk today about our small forward set up this year. Here are my two cents...

Yep I thought Cunners was unlucky/a bit rusty not to have 3 goals next to his name, especially in the first quarter. Will play round 1.

Just curious on where you see him playing. Up forward I reckon Fisher, Martin, Murph, Gibbons and possibly even Betts are ahead of him. In the midfield, I don't think he'd get a kick in front of Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Dow, Setters and Ed.

Gibbo best 22 IMO.

Cunners and Newnes 22-25.

Nice problem to have.

Agree, agree and agree.

Martin & Murphy as the small forwards, rotating mids, with Fisher coming off the bench to add spark..
which leaves one of JSOS, McGovern or Betts taking the 6th spot, Jacks versatility to play tall or small gives him the nod in my book.
No Gibbons anywhere?

Its far from bashing, just stating simple facts and IMO we should not be offering contracts to 34yo who are not clearly best 22 players. The same goes with Murph this year who is out of contract at end of season..
So if someone isn't best 22 they don't deserve a contract? Wow, looks like we never needed any depth on our list after all!

Was surprised to see that Setters had most touches in this game with 24.
Thought he was good, but thought Dow and Walsh would have had more. No mention of how many those 2 had though.
14 players with 15 or more touches was good though.
Wow, where did you find game day stats?

Now to throw more fuel on the fire.
In this match I dont think that Moore embarassed us.

As a makeshift back-up ruck he certainly did OK. He didn't dominate, but he competed, threw his body around and did some decent follow up work on the deck.

The kicker though isn't what he did, it's what he didn't. Which was anything else.

He didn't get forward and provide a target, he didn't slot into the backline and blanket an opponent. He rode the bench and then gave Pittonet a spell. That's not a role we can carry into the season.

Cunners has 'offered' the above on about 3-4 occasions throughout his 37 game career. Injuries haven't helped but as it stands Gibbons' output is superior.

Um....

Yes.

That's what I said. Statistically similar, but stylistically different.

Cunners has been a project. He looks much more settled and confident this year, at least to my eye. Was winning the ball all over the ground, from the degensive 50 to the forward pocket. He's been hidden away as a permanent forward for much of his senior career, while Gibbo seems to have had more of a license to push up the ground.

If it's beginning to click for him then, and he's being given that same license, then his game fits well with our gameplan and the direction of the game in general.

Thought he was good, but thought Dow and Walsh would have had more. No mention of how many those 2 had though.

I thought it was an absolute breath of fresh air not having a stat sheet to cloud watcher's opinions on an AFL game of footy. Without being "old man yelling at cloud", stat sheets and fantasy footy have diverted people from what actually matters....Who and What helps the team win.

There are as many bog average 25 possession games as there are good 25 possession games, and there are many 15 possession games that are better than 25 possession games.

Damn Champion Data.

I thought it was an absolute breath of fresh air not having a stat sheet to cloud watcher's opinions on an AFL game of footy. Without being "old man yelling at cloud", stat sheets and fantasy footy have diverted people from what actually matters....Who and What helps the team win.

There are as many bog average 25 possession games as there are good 25 possession games, and there are many 15 possession games that are better than 25 possession games.

Damn Champion Data.

Setters got a lot of touches across HD/defence. At one stage there he was taking the kick ins.

Damn Champion Data.

Nonsense.

There's no need to watch games at all when you can just regurgitate a laundry list of stats from Footywire...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no... we need him to transition through the middle for i50’s
The two I’d like kicking out for us would be Willo and Weiters, think they are our best precise kick/decision makers but also they are also two that I’d love being on the end of our kick outs as well, Willo for his run/carry and disposal Weiters as a strong marking option as well as his incredible ball use...

Stats and vision go hand in hand

Don't think the crew with laptops in box are watching an episode of the Simpsons

Correct, they are on live betting.

Be good to get someone like LOB or Stocker to take kick ins and just absolutely launch it 65 out to the wing and have Saad there waiting for the drop of the ball run through the middle and hit up Harry, Gov or Charlie but that's be basically a fiction novel . 😆
I think the player making the kick ins needs to not only have the kicking ability to hit the targets, but just as important they have to possess the nous for selecting the options...

No surprise to me, I thought he was fantastic, worked really hard to present an option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back