Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Given he can't play as a KPD, an area of real need backup wise, I would go MacDonald

I’m with you, thought it very interesting McDonald was in the ruck for a few/couple of centre bounces. Never played there previously

I think the club are very mindful of the lack of ruck possibilities but also KP depth

Put it this way, the last player picked won’t be less than KP height

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Late 2019 he did his neck. Early 2020 he did his knee. Mid 2020 he did his hammy. Late 2020/Early 2021 he did his calf.

Honestly don't have any expectations on him. Not only to put less pressure on the bloke, but also to allow myself to prepare for the inevitable... another future injury.

Logically, it’ll either be an ankle or navicular bone....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My opinion is we are going to be a better, more functional team without Casboult. Yesterday didn't harm that opinion.

Do we need another tall?...Yes.

Do i want Casboult back?...No.

C'mon TDK, Gov and Charlie. Shake off those injuries please. I'll take 2 outta 3. Heck, i'll even take 1 outta 3.

And before anyone says "Oh aren't we lucky Levi is around to cover these blokes, i say "no, not really". He has filled a spot for years but he doesn't help us be a good team.
Your opinion, but to say we were better yesterday even without him in the team is such poor judgement IMO on how much better he makes us structurally in all parts of the ground...

Seems to be lots of talk today about our small forward set up this year. Here are my two cents...

Just curious on where you see him playing. Up forward I reckon Fisher, Martin, Murph, Gibbons and possibly even Betts are ahead of him. In the midfield, I don't think he'd get a kick in front of Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Dow, Setters and Ed.

Agree, agree and agree.

No Gibbons anywhere?

So if someone isn't best 22 they don't deserve a contract? Wow, looks like we never needed any depth on our list after all!
Cunners position is certainly bench/fwd. Saints game performance next week will be crucial for him and Eddie. Reckon we might select a mobile forward line against Tiges, due to injuries and match fitness issues.

He is certainly in the mix, at his best he offers something pretty exciting and as I have said I think he is in favour with the coaches. I would like him to have a big game next week to grab his spot.
Following my post I continued reading on and saw a lengthy debate on cunners v gibbons.

I like gibbons work ethic and I like what cunners can do but as many have stated he needs to be a bit more consistent.

Late 2019 he did his neck. Early 2020 he did his knee. Mid 2020 he did his hammy. Late 2020/Early 2021 he did his calf.

Honestly don't have any expectations on him. Not only to put less pressure on the bloke, but also to allow myself to prepare for the inevitable... another future injury.

Think he just needs a toe injury then it will have passed through head to toe...

Seems to be lots of talk today about our small forward set up this year. Here are my two cents...

Just curious on where you see him playing. Up forward I reckon Fisher, Martin, Murph, Gibbons and possibly even Betts are ahead of him. In the midfield, I don't think he'd get a kick in front of Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Dow, Setters and Ed.

Agree, agree and agree.

No Gibbons anywhere?

So if someone isn't best 22 they don't deserve a contract? Wow, looks like we never needed any depth on our list after all!
Not when they are 34

Cunners easily in my best 22 ... just play him in the friggin midfield! We’re crying out for his speed, power and skill to deliver to the forwards and break the congestion. He gets shots on goal when he’s up the ground anyway - should be a goal-kicking midfielder.

He goes ok up forward and is partly a victim of our shocking entries as a team. The number of times he has a break on his opponent and the ball lands a couple of metres in front of him 😫

If his injuries are behind him, I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t cement his spot. Has all the tools to be not just a 16-22 but a top 6 player in our team, imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say if Gibbo was put n the gutz ... he would consistently rack up 8-10 clearances a game..... dual J.J Liston Medallist.

2016 J.J. Liston Trophy winner: Michael Gibbons - VFL

" He averaged 29 disposals, seven clearances and six inside-50s per game, and was the VFL’s top-ranked player for total disposals, uncontested possessions and inside-50s during the home-and-away season. "

Real fringe type player there Azza ;)
Hasn’t been given the chance in showing us what he he really excelled at in winning VFL 2X B&F’s, would like to see what he is capable of, surely couldn’t hurt...

He's not an AFL mid.
He's got the nous to be a gun mid in the VFL, but lacks the size or pace or elite kick to be in the guts at the top level.
Hasn’t really been given the chance yet Stamos, just like a few others yet personally last season was imo a great opportunity too find out, not exposing him and others in there could be a error in judgement...

Hasn’t been given the chance in showing us what he he really excelled at in winning VFL 2X B&F’s, would like to see what he is capable of, surely couldn’t hurt...
A beesdick off 3.

Only caught snippets of the live game, so wanted to watch the replay in full. While it is always good to beat the scum, score lines mean nothing in these games to me.

JSOS - Despite being a KPP height, his best position will only ever be a 3rd or 4th tall forward. Love that he fights hard for front position but his best go is working up higher up the ground if he is going to play as our 2nd KPF while we have injuries, or maybe rotating more as that taller mid when he matched up against Fyfe

Dow - What a different a sound body makes. What i liked most was he seemed more relaxed with his kicking like his junior years, but most impressive was using his first outlet release and lowering his eyes more. On the back of that hitout, comes into my rolling round 1 side

Murphy - Finally they have decided to play him as a permanent HHF. If he remains there, it will extend his career. Comes into my rolling round 1 side

LOB - Not enough game time to change my opinion either way, hope he gets a better run against the Saints

SPS - The negativity around this kid is staggering. Yes, he should commit more when the ball is in dispute, but with ball in hand he is dangerous off both sides. Remains a lock for the season

Williams - Thought he was very good early when the ball was in dispute, will be dangerous resting forward. Want to see more of a burst when he gathers rather than just throwing it on the boot

Fogarty - Nothing poor, but didn't seem a danger and or impact the game, comes out of my rolling round 1 side

Cripps - Look like a bull at times, as well as cautious at times.

Harry - Showed some usual bad habits at times, not working hard enough for that front position. Being the only true KPF would have been a tough gig. Looks fitter, will have his best year if he has support

Stocker - See LOB

Jones - I think he will have a better year again. Will have brain fades, but rarely beaten

Doc - Plus or minus, this is the player he will be given the ACL's. Think he will improve a little on the back of last year

Walsh - Did nothing wrong or outstanding. Prefer him on a wing with a smaller percentage at the coal face at this stage, but understand the club want to fast track him as a permanent stoppage on baller

Plowman - Perfect defender on a 3rd tall or bull mid resting forward. Got found out when playing on KPF's, its not his go

Martin - Not enough time around the pill, but that will change. Love his attack on a player with the pill.

Weitering - In for a big year, back to back on the cards

Fisher - Slippery, perhaps tried to shimmy too many times but will be a handful forward. Prefer him over Betts at this stage

Pitto - His type of matchup, against another banger. Thing I liked is he pushed forward and was rewarded with a couple of snags. Still prefer a fit TDK

Cuners - More of the same, want to see him more around the pill

Willo - Really cant remember being beaten. Seems stronger, but leaner, watch this space

Newnes - More of the same from last year

Ed - Ed

Gibbons - See LOB & Stocker

Saad - Nothing surprising here. We know what we are getting and his run out of the back half gives us another dimension

Setters - See Walsh. Prefer he and Walsh swap positions

Moore - No. DMAC - Only as a backup KPD

Gamestyle - Only a slight adjustment, not enough to suggest that we have added enough layers. Early on we still missed targets going forward and or bombing it long too often as well as over committing when going forward . When we did flick it around by hand or foot we looked dangerous. Felt the Bombers looked more consistent transitioning the ball forward, but they just don't have the list to sustain that movement

Round 1 side before today

Plowman Weitering Newman
Doc Jones Saad

Walsh Cripps Newnes
TDK Williams Setterfield

Martin Levi SPS
Fisher McKay, Fogarty

Gibbons Ed Willo Jack

Ins Murphy, Dow, Pitto

Outs Newman, Fogarty, TDK

Willo or SPS to slide into Newman's spot

Dow comes in for Fogarty

Pitto for TDK

Jack fighting with Gov and Kennedy
Only disagree with the Gamestyle comment, Arrow. I could see much more deliberate, effective disposal by foot which controlled tempo, despite being the first practise game and a bit of a touch footy feel at times. Interested to see if this applies when the heat turns up.

Harry clearly needs a foil. Jack tried manfully but it’s not his best suite.

Thought Fog was better in linking up and took a couple of handy marks. Might have a 2021 Newnes effect.

Both Murphy and Fish forward and playing well make it very hard for Eddie to crack the side. Especially if Williams rests forward as well. Makes us awfully small so can’t see that happening.

Agree about SPS. Maybe taking Plow’s spot as the whipping boy. As I’ve said all along, play him in a more attacking role to maximise his ball use.

Yes he is consistent and last year he played higher up the ground I’d translate those stats into 20 a game this year.
2019 he was pretty much a defensive forward (in an ordinary team) so stats were lower.
He’s nothing flash but I think he is consistent. He may not always get a game as others improve but I think he is reliable which is an asset.
He didn’t contest one centre bounce last year, now for me he has been extremely ignored concidering he was a duel B&F midfield winner of the VFL competition, for us to not even give him any midfield time at all is a bit of a joke, backs up my thoughts that we were far too heavily focused on way too few...
The only way you find out what a player is all about, is to give them the chance to show you what they are capable of, no brainer imo... The way we have used our midfield the previous few seasons has been a joke, lack of player rotation and structures...

Extremely poor reason to offer a 34yo, who kicked a total of 13 goals from 15 games last year a new contract.... Its not like Eddie was someone like Simpson or Murphy who was a loyal servant of the club, he left..
Another Bambi. Eddie is still good for 20 goals in a full season and he is always taken by the best oppo small defender.

Cunners was given midfield minutes against Essendon last year, 3 brownlow votes. Coaches somehow forgot were they played him and he was vanished to a forward pocket after returning from injury. Then was back in the middle in the second half against Brisbane, watch the tape he was nearly best on again. Would be in my best 22 and rotating through the middle. He has been inconsistent but like many of our players, arrived as a midfielder, played as a forward and ravaged by injuries. He may not make it but he is at the perfect age to find out, give him 4 weeks and we will know.

and cripps kicked the goal 🙀 - if i was to be critical of anything in that play, i think Dow fumbled the ball first before, and doing this well, going at it again and giving off a lightning handball to Saad. But thats just nit-picking by me. I loved Dow's follow up on a number of occasions, something he wouldnt have done prevopus years (same as cuningham a couple of times)
I haven’t know you to nit pick, Frumpy. :rolleyes:

He didn’t contest one centre bounce last year, now for me he has been extremely ignored concidering he was a duel B&F midfield winner of the VFL competition, for us to not even give him any midfield time at all is a bit of a joke, backs up my thoughts that we were far too heavily focused on way too few...
The only way you find out what a player is all about, is to give them the chance to show you what they are capable of, no brainer imo... The way we have used our midfield the previous few seasons has been a joke, lack of player rotation and structures...
They see him every game, every training session. There’s a reason he’s not in the guts. He doesn’t have the weapons for it (size/pace/skill). That lack of weapons isn’t a problem at VFL level. But his attributes mean he’s at his best as a high half forward in the AFL.

Has so far

Don’t bother, for some reason there are people on this forum that have an agenda against SPS and I have no idea why. Made two early mistakes, a half miss kick and the rest was on point. Was in my top 5, poss top 3. Setters bog clearly. A lot just out there for the run around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is we are going to be a better, more functional team without Casboult. Yesterday didn't harm that opinion.

Do we need another tall?...Yes.

Do i want Casboult back?...No.

C'mon TDK, Gov and Charlie. Shake off those injuries please. I'll take 2 outta 3. Heck, i'll even take 1 outta 3.

And before anyone says "Oh aren't we lucky Levi is around to cover these blokes, i say "no, not really". He has filled a spot for years but he doesn't help us be a good team.
Taking the P155?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back