Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They’ll all have batch numbers and they’ll be recorded at the sending end of the logistics chain and the receiving end. Not 100% sure but they’ll almost have S8 type security procedures in place for this and if they don’t they should.

Actually it won’t take long for people to figure out which one they’ve been given now that I think about it. CSL (AstraZen) and Pfizer will almost certainly have different batch number formats. Someone will spill which format belongs to which manufacturer and then you will be able to cross-check this with your vaccination record.

Apparently people on Facebook have already picked up on the fact that a special needle is being used to enable the microchip to be implanted.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
So very true, as my uncle (was a Doctor) used to say, they bury their mistakes.

Being involved via past profession and going thru it with both my parents and brother, sadly it is a major cluster fu** full of ego and money hungry madness.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I worked in public hospitals for 15 years and absolutely people are held to account. Even more so now that I am in community health. What exactly do you think is being swept under the carpet?

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Actually it won’t take long for people to figure out which one they’ve been given now that I think about it. CSL (AstraZen) and Pfizer will almost certainly have different batch number formats. Someone will spill which format belongs to which manufacturer and then you will be able to cross-check this with your vaccination record.

Why not simply ask when you are injected? There is no secret the manufacturer's name is printed on each vial.

1614325383805.png

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The immunisation statement has this disclaimer on it-

Every effort is made to ensure that the information contained on the Australian Immunisation Register is correct. The data is based on the information provided by the vaccination providers and the accuracy of data is dependent on the timeliness and quality of the information provided.

In 2019 I had a flu shot with the brand name Fluad however the brand name given on my last influenza shot, which I received in May 2020, is Influenza. So there you go.

You can ring 1800 653 809 if you want to report errors.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having a vaccine manufactured here was a good plan, whilst the effectiveness of the various candidates were being assessed. Now it’s clear Pfizer is much more effective, then given Australia doesn’t have to rush a vaccination program we should be all getting it. At the very least there should be the option for people to wait for Pfizer rather than get a poorer vaccine now. I’m not in a priority group, so I’m in the majority who’ll be getting the inferior one. I’d be happy to wait an extra 6 months for Pfizer given the choice.

Having a vaccine manufactured here was a good plan, whilst the effectiveness of the various candidates were being assessed. Now it’s clear Pfizer is much more effective, then given Australia doesn’t have to rush a vaccination program we should be all getting it. At the very least there should be the option for people to wait for Pfizer rather than get a poorer vaccine now. I’m not in a priority group, so I’m in the majority who’ll be getting the inferior one. I’d be happy to wait an extra 6 months for Pfizer given the choice.

Exactly. Wait patiently for enough doses of the Pfizer vaccine whilst manufacturing the AstraZeneca vaccine in bulk and exporting it to shitty European countries at an extortionate price.

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The government should have had the courage to pivot wholesale to the Pfizer vaccine a couple of months ago. It'll cost about $600m to vaccinate 20m Australians using Pfizer, vs about $150m for astra zeneca. A drop in the ocean relative to the $'s that have been thrown about this pandemic. Sure we've wasted some $'s on the astra zeneca manufacturing capability, but chalk it up to common sense spreading of risk / keeping options open. Throw CSL some seed $'s to develop the manufacturing capability for these new generation vaccines.

Only reason we wouldn't do that is Scomo Team Australia brand politics and populism. Pull another sports team shirt over your fat gut you campaigner.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Your argument makes sense which is probably why the Morrison Government is not listening. We are not alone in questioning Australia's reliance on a vaccine with a 65% efficacy compared to 95% of it's competitor.

This from the media on the 21st January,
Some experts have raised concerns about Australia's reliance on AstraZeneca's vaccine, saying it is less effective than that developed by Pfizer and Moderna and will not achieve herd immunity.

An infectious diseases expert, Dr Michelle Ananda-Rajah, from Monash University, said Australia should try to secure more doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
"We need to pivot our strategy," she told ABC News.
"It's really about just ensuring that we provide for Australians the best possible vaccine... (AstraZeneca's vaccine) is just not going to confer herd immunity at a population level. We just don't believe that, based on our current data."

The problem is Morrison committed to a deal with AstraZeneca and CSL to manufacture the AstraZeneca vaccine in Australia and he probably cannot back out of it at this late stage. As has been suggested Flog the Astra Zeneca off to Africa at cost and wait for more Pfitzer to become available.

Australia's Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly, has said,

'It was more important to proceed with vaccines that were readily available and had more than 50 per cent efficacy than to wait for others that may have higher efficacy rates. The AstraZeneca (vaccine) is here, we don't need to queue for that, it will save lives. By using this vaccine, we'll be able to protect a large proportion of the population in Australia."

Fair enough Professor but what about the large proportion of the population that you are not able to protect? If we delayed the roll out to study the efficacy of various vaccines in other countries why are we not taking note and not going with the best?

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Your argument makes sense which is probably why the Morrison Government is not listening. We are not alone in questioning Australia's reliance on a vaccine with a 65% efficacy compared to 95% of it's competitor.

This from the media on the 21st January,
Some experts have raised concerns about Australia's reliance on AstraZeneca's vaccine, saying it is less effective than that developed by Pfizer and Moderna and will not achieve herd immunity.

An infectious diseases expert, Dr Michelle Ananda-Rajah, from Monash University, said Australia should try to secure more doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
"We need to pivot our strategy," she told ABC News.
"It's really about just ensuring that we provide for Australians the best possible vaccine... (AstraZeneca's vaccine) is just not going to confer herd immunity at a population level. We just don't believe that, based on our current data."

The problem is Morrison committed to a deal with AstraZeneca and CSL to manufacture the AstraZeneca vaccine in Australia and he probably cannot back out of it at this late stage. As has been suggested Flog the Astra Zeneca off to Africa at cost and wait for more Pfitzer to become available.

Australia's Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly, has said,

'It was more important to proceed with vaccines that were readily available and had more than 50 per cent efficacy than to wait for others that may have higher efficacy rates. The AstraZeneca (vaccine) is here, we don't need to queue for that, it will save lives. By using this vaccine, we'll be able to protect a large proportion of the population in Australia."

Fair enough Professor but what about the large proportion of the population that you are not able to protect? If we delayed the roll out to study the efficacy of various vaccines in other countries why are we not taking note and not going with the best?

I think the same as this.

In a higher risk group at 64, and with diabetes and high blood pressure (both managed pretty well with medication and diet though).
Am hoping for more information about side effects and efficacy levels before I am comfortable with proceeding with Vax.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Next week's T20Is in Auckland involving the Australia men's team and the England women's side have been relocated to Wellington, after Auckland was put into a week-long Covid-19 lockdown. The remaining matches of the two tours are set to be played behind closed doors.

Under Level 3 of the New Zealand government's alert system, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced would take effect from 6 AM on Sunday morning following the emergence of another case of community transmission, sports events cannot take place, which means that New Zealand Cricket has shifted the two matches on March 5 in an attempt to keep both series going.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have mentioned before that if you are dead in America there is a 94% chance you are over 55.
It's about the same here for the 909 deaths we have had.
There are 7-8 million people over 55 in Oz.
Lets add to that say 500,000 critical care workers (Doctors, Nurses, Ambos, Quarantine staff, Cleaners, Aged care workers). Maybe another 500,000 at risk younger people. These last 2 are pure guesses.
If they all take 2x doses of the preferred Pfizer vaccine that is 18 million doses approx.

Last I heard 15 million doses of Pfizer vaccine will arrive b4 the end of the year.

Purchase of another 2-3million doses of Pfizer would just about do it in the high risk range.

Under these cicumstances I would be prepared to risk the remainder of the population on the Astra Zeneca dose PROVIDED there are assurances that CSL/Zeneca are working on a booster dose for UK, Sth African and Sth American variants AND strong surveillance continues for international travel.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The UK has done really well over the past couple of months. From a January high of over 58,000 cases the daily total is down to 7,434. Closing the borders, a lock down and the vaccine roll out have probably all had an effect.

Boris has outlined a 4 stage road map out of lock down which will be determined by data not by dates. I wonder where we have heard that before?

Meanwhile in France the number of reported cases has risen since January.

Interesting that the latest data from the UK indicates that a single jab of the Pftizer vaccine cuts hospitalisation numbers down by 75%. There is no data for the Astra Zeneca jab yet.

The US FDA has just granted emergency approval to the Johnson& Johnson single dose vaccine. I doubt that the rest of the world will see much of it for a while. If the US can double their full vaccination rates they will do it.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are often great similarities between processes in the UK and in Australia, but reading through the roadmap its clear we will need a very different set of constraints.

Summary: They plan to let it rip from June 21st as long as high infection rates don't translate to a higher death rate or surge in hospitalisation rates.
--------------------

What's the roadmap for lifting lockdown? - BBC News

How will lockdown be lifted in England?

Stage one is in two parts:

8 March

• All schools and colleges will reopen
  • University students can return for practical courses. There will be a review by the end of the Easter holidays for all other students
  • Face coverings are recommended in class for secondary school students and also for parents and staff in primary schools
  • Wraparound childcare can also return for vulnerable pupils and where it is needed for parents or carers to go to work, support groups or to seek medical care
  • Two people from different households can meet outside for recreation, which can include "a coffee on a bench"
  • One nominated person can visit care homes, but will need PPE, a lateral flow test and to "keep physical contact to a minimum"
Graphic showing easing of lockdown rules for England on 8 March

29 March

• People will be allowed to meet outside, either with one other household or within the "rule of six", including in private gardens
  • The stay at home rule will end, but the government will urge people to stay local as much as possible
  • Outdoor sport facilities will reopen, including golf courses and tennis and basketball courts
  • Formally organised outdoor sports can also restart
  • Parents and children groups can return but are capped at 15 and must be outdoors. Indoor groups can take place for vulnerable children and where parents need the groups to go to work
  • Weddings attended by up to six people can take place in any circumstances

Stage two
No earlier than 12 April:
  • All shops allowed to open
  • Restaurants and pub gardens will be allowed to serve customers sitting outdoors, including alcohol
  • Gyms and spas can reopen for individuals and households
  • Hairdressers, beauty salons and other "close contact services" can reopen
  • UK domestic holidays away from home permitted, with self-contained accommodation able to reopen for use by members of the same household
  • Children allowed to attend indoor play activities, with up to 15 parents or guardians allowed to join them
  • Zoos, theme parks and drive-in cinemas can reopen
  • Libraries and community centres can reopen
  • Weddings attended by up to 15 people can take place

Stage three
No earlier than 17 May:
  • People can meet in groups of up to 30 outdoors
  • Six people or two households can meet indoors
  • Pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues can seat customers indoors
  • Up to 30 people can meet to celebrate weddings or other life events, like christenings
  • Remaining outdoor entertainment, such as outdoor theatres and cinemas can open
  • Indoor entertainment such as museums, theatres, cinemas and children's play areas can open
  • Performances and large events will be subject to limits though. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • Hotels, hostels and B&Bs can reopen
  • International leisure travel will resume no earlier than 17 May
  • Adult indoor group sports and exercise classes can start up again

Stage four
No earlier than 21 June:
  • All legal limits on social contact will be removed
  • No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events. From April, the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings, festivals and work conferences. This will help to determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing
  • Nightclubs will be allowed to reopen

What are the four tests for easing restrictions?

Each stage will be a minimum of five weeks apart.

Four conditions must be met at each stage before proceeding to the next one:
  • The coronavirus vaccine programme continues to go to plan
  • Vaccines are sufficiently reducing the number of people dying with the virus or needing hospital treatment
  • Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospital admissions
  • New coronavirus variants do not fundamentally change the risk of lifting restrictions

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are often great similarities between processes in the UK and in Australia, but reading through the roadmap its clear we will need a very different set of constraints.

Summary: They plan to let it rip from June 21st as long as high infection rates don't translate to a higher death rate or surge in hospitalisation rates.

June 21st sounds realistic enough if they get most of the population vaccinated by then. They have already given 20,000,000 the first jab. They have broken the back of the 58,000 a day they had in January and if they have not got it down to manageable levels before June they are probably never going to get there.

The real problem for Boris will be the resolve of the British population. How long will it be before people are out on the street protesting about the long lock down? It will probably get down to Boris' ability to inspire the British public a la Churchill in WWII.

Stryke

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Next week's T20Is in Auckland involving the Australia men's team and the England women's side have been relocated to Wellington, after Auckland was put into a week-long Covid-19 lockdown. The remaining matches of the two tours are set to be played behind closed doors.

Under Level 3 of the New Zealand government's alert system, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced would take effect from 6 AM on Sunday morning following the emergence of another case of community transmission, sports events cannot take place, which means that New Zealand Cricket has shifted the two matches on March 5 in an attempt to keep both series going.

I have tickets to next Sundays match in Mt Maunganui :thumbsdown:

More geo-politics and the virus. We now have vaccine diplomacy. It will only get bigger as 2021 continue.

Saw this Thursday night on ABC News' The World program and Stan Grant's weekly China segment - Behind the Wall. Supposedly India has/will dispatch 15mill doses of its vaccine to 17 countries and China will supply its vaccines to 27 countries, despite the fact they have vaccinated such a small percentage of their own people. This article on ABC website sums up the video but a cut and past of a few things from it;

Key points:
  • Chinese state media has regularly published stories critiquing India's vaccine rollout, an ASPI report says
  • Indian netizens have pushed narratives that China "exported the virus" and India is "killing the virus"
  • An expert says India is projecting itself as a democratic alternative to China
With India's credibility dented by its failure to contain the virus, and China's reputation tarnished by the widely held belief the virus originated there amid a cover-up, both are keen to deflect blame and shore up their standing in the world.

I've been watching Canada's national daily The Global and Mail's coronavirus stats page since May last year. Have a look once a week or so.

They have plenty of stats on Canada's position but have graphs for the 20 highest nations by cases and 20 highest by deaths. You can easily see which nation and when, they have had 2nd, 3rd and even 4th waves of cases and/or deaths. But I haven't seen vaccine stats broken down like this for any nation elsewhere.

About 77% of the 2,441,670 doses of vaccine distributed to provinces have been administered. That's 5.0 doses for every 100 people in Canada.
Vaccines
We are tracking vaccination administration and distribution updates from each province and territory based on official government reports.

At least 1,882,952 single doses of vaccine have been administered in Canada, and 520,918 people have been fully vaccinated.

Before Christmas Canada had stitched up the most doses per person in the world signing several deals with most of the manufacturers. Canada has a population of approx 38 million people.

Canada Has Reserved More Vaccine Doses Per Person Than Anywhere
Canada already had enough potential Covid-19 vaccines secured to protect a population almost four times its size. It just added another 20 million doses to the pile and accelerated its vaccination calendar.
Now he is ahead of schedule, and Canada is on top of global rankings for vaccine contracts. With the 20 million additional Moderna doses, Canada has secured enough to inoculate 154 million people, assuming the vaccines are cleared by health regulators.

It’s enough doses for more than 400% of its population, ahead of the U.K.’s 295% and Australia’s 269%, according to Bloomberg’s vaccine tracker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back