2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There's more than you think. You can add Brayden Crossley, Brad Scheer, Mackenzie Willis and former academy member Kwaybe Boakye to that playing list as well. No doubt they'll be very determined to prove a point when we play them this season.

This was one of the positive outcomes that was expected when the northern academies were established. It was assumed the local clubs which compete in the levels below our AFL side would benefit from greatly from former academy members who choose to stay and you can see the majority of ex Suns on Southport's list come from our academy. It's nice to see ex players who hail from other states like Ryan Davis (NSW), Matt Shaw (VIC), Seb Tape (SA) and Mackenzie Willis (TAS) have also elected to stay on the GC and that kind of commitment will continue to raise the overall standard of local footy here. The same goes for our former coaches like Daniel, Primus, Lappin and even Malceski (Labrador) in the pursuit of raising the standard of local football on the Gold Coast. It's a massive positive not only for the local league but also for our future players because they'll be exposed to a much higher level of teammate/coach at a younger age.
1000% agree

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
F7249ABA-178E-47B1-BD4D-43B6A47956E9.jpeg
D8150C10-F75A-483F-9BEF-49CFBA5C6A6E.jpeg

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I believe I read somewhere that teams will be split into 2 conferences, 6 teams from QLD/NSW put together, playing each twice. With 16 games total, that would mean remaining 6 games vs VFL teams, 3 at home and 3 in Victoria.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Hope you don't mind the intrusion. Swans board are also ignoring the VFL name of this comp. This is a decision based on 'historical' references....or whatever. :)
I'd love to hear the thinking behind the "historical references"

Hope the twos boys can put on a decent performance against the Lions, Good barometer to where we're at.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We played them 4 times in NEAFL 2019

April: 159 - 62
June: LOSS 69 - 39 ***** Exact same score as today weirdly
July: LOSS 96 - 17
August: LOSS 91 - 66

So hopefully means we've improved at the same rate they have?? too long a bow?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would be interested in how many academy players played, if anyone has the team lineups?
I saw number 16 who I reckon is Jack Johnston.
Has been training with the team from what I've seen in club videos.
Unsure of the other participants though.
Pescud probably?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Boswell:
The Suns reserves lost to the Lions VFL team 9.15 (69) to 5.9 (39) in the curtain-raiser.
Suns goals: Malcolm Rosas (one goal), Brayden Fiorini (two goals), Jeremy Sharp (one goal) and an academy player (one goal).
Best: Alex Davies (best on ground), Malcolm Rosas, Hewago Paul Oea, Jez McLennan, Jack Hombsch and Brayden Fiorini were among Gold Coast’s best.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good to see Davies playing well. Adding Davies and Holland's to an already promising midfield group is super exciting

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Pescud probably?
I was hoping you had both team lineups, as we’re getting nothing from the Lions by way of updates or information.

Boswell:
The Suns reserves lost to the Lions VFL team 9.15 (69) to 5.9 (39) in the curtain-raiser.
Suns goals: Malcolm Rosas (one goal), Brayden Fiorini (two goals), Jeremy Sharp (one goal) and an academy player (one goal).
Best: Alex Davies (best on ground), Malcolm Rosas, Hewago Paul Oea, Jez McLennan, Jack Hombsch and Brayden Fiorini were among Gold Coast’s best.
Did he mention anything about the Lions as we’re getting nothing from our club.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would be interested in how many academy players played, if anyone has the team lineups?
This may help you a little but not the full squad
As you know the Lions did not post a side
Below taken from the Suns website

VFL:

The VFL Squad to take on the Brisbane Lions VFL side will feature a mix of AFL listed and Academy players. AFL listed players below:

8. Brayden Fiorini
19. Josh Corbett
20. Jack Hombsch
21. Jacob Townsend
30. Alex Davies
32. Zac Smith
33. Aiden Fyfe
37. Jeremy Sharp
39. Nick Holman
41. Malcolm Rosas Jnr
43. Jez McLennan
45. Luke Towey
47. Hewago Pal Oea
48. Matthew Conroy
50. Jy Farrar

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pescud probably?
Bit of a worry when one of our development forwards seems to be on holidays when the others are slaving away in pre season games. Surely he should be using every opportunity to bring his game up to the level required

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit of a worry when one of our development forwards seems to be on holidays when the others are slaving away in pre season games. Surely he should be using every opportunity to bring his game up to the level required
Who are you talking about?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I feel for Farrar. He played as a key defender. No fun to compete with 200cm, 101kg Ballenden while being 191cm and skinny 79kg. It looks like Fyfe had the honour to play on Ballenden too :cool:

Back