Mcasey and jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw 1.5 quarters but Jones looked as confused as last year but playing on a wing now. I remember him looking a natural footballer as a junior. Now just looks to be searching for a player or is in the wrong spot. Don't know how he's lost that natural ability.

McAsey I'm yet to see any good signs. Jumps and misses the ball a lot. Slow and lumbering with and without the ball. Going to be a slow burn if he makes it.

I don’t think both can or know how to play. Jones simply runs to the wrong places on the ground and Mcasey looks disinterested and cannot keep his feet. These two misses at round 1 are killing our chances of Improving quickly.

Some question marks over our recruiting now.
Gallucci delisted and Fogarty struggling, the 1st rounders for the last few years have not helped our case at all.

Comparing McAsey's junior form to AFL form is like night and day. I know these guys take a long time to develop but he doesn't appear to be improving at all.
I think he will benefit from actually being able to play sanfl this year, I don’t think many realise how much development was lost with young players last season. Jones suffered from the same fate as well. I would be worried if both haven’t started showing more by the end of this season though. Neither need to be starring yet, but it’s natural to expect them to develop now that sanfl is there.

You can put Fogarty and McHenry in this list as well. I'm very concerned with all four and they were all top draft picks. Add in Gallucci and that's 5 draft picks in the top 15 or so. Concerning.

At least Thilthorpe, Berry, Pedlar look like they are potential stars. Add in Cook, Newchurch, Borlaise and this was a big year for us but we are coming from a long way back.

Last edited:
Comparing McAsey's junior form to AFL form is like night and day. I know these guys take a long time to develop but he doesn't appear to be improving at all.
Neither did Weitering early days.

It's a small concern for sure but he needs time.

You can put Fogarty and McHenry in this list as well. I'm very concerned with all four and they were all top draft picks. Add in Gallucci and that's 5 draft picks in the top 15 or so. Concerning.
McHenry has been good this summer.

The best footballers have some arrogance in their step. We get off in drafting nice little country boys. Our biggest mistakes is the body shape of many of the players we have drafted over the last 5 years. As for Jones he is following his man to the ball..... make the ball your target don't worry about the man when it's in your area just beat him to the ball. McAsey is a 80s footballer not today....better players in the SANFL. Does not have the attributes. Pace, agility does not get better with age.

Last edited:
Jones doesn't have the Footy IQ to be an AFL level midfielder. Never seems to be able to be involved in traffic.

Having said that he could be a very good forward where the game comes to him and he does not have to mentally work as hard to get the ball or be involved.

Problem is Rowe and McAdam are showing they are pretty good smaller forwards, and Lachie Murphy (he has plenty of faults) is also pretty handy as a small utility.

We should also have Sloane more up forward too.

McAsey, too early. Big guys take longer. I think he is a more natural forward than back. There is quality there. I just hope we see it at our club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAsey a massive bust for us, probably be half decent for whoever he is playing for next year.

Does anyone remember the expression of his face when his name got called on draft night. Looked downright shattered to be coming to us and has shown a similar level of interest and enthusiasm ever since.

And the real kick in the aggets, has looked miles out of his depth on the park so expect offers around the third round come 2021 trade period.

BUST.

At least Thilthorpe, Berry, Pedlar look like they are potential stars. Add in Cook, Newchurch, Borlaise and this was a big year for us but we are coming from a long way back.

I still hold a view that Gallucci can play at the level, we just totally butchered his development. I fully expect him to be a premiership player with the Tigers come September.

I still hold a view that Gallucci can play at the level, we just totally butchered his development. I fully expect him to be a premiership player with the Tigers come September.
Gotta be picked up by them first

We gave Jones a ridiculously long contract first up. I'm a fan obviously, but he didn't really show enough to get a deal like that.

If we're going to persist with McAsey in the backline, I will give him until mid 2022 before I make up my mind.
He's obviously not ready now, but I'll let him hit the gym first. But tbh, I dont believe he'll make it but will give him time.

I would love him up forward taking the Lynch or Walker role, but that doesn't seem to be the plan.

Jones shows flashes of promise but he needs to increase his productivity by at least 200% (Maybe even 300-400%)
5 possessions a game is not good enough.

We’ve just got to accept some players take a bit longer to mature and develop - Rayner, Petracca come to mind. I think Jones is in this category. The tools are there, but will probably take another 12-18 months to grow into the player we hope he will be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back