Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Those effing contractors are at it again, this time, they are hiring doctors who have not been trained in how to administer Covid vaccines!

Healthcare Australia allowed a Doctor to administer the Covid Vaccination without him or her, being trained to do so and what was the Health Minister's first response to this? He did what all the Ministers in this decrepit Government do, say whatever in the hope it will all go away and if that doesn't wash, backtrack and say "I wasn't told" or "I wasn't told that". It seems that this is the extent of Ministerial Responsibility these days, that is learning off by heart "I wasn't told" and "I wasn't told that".

First Greg Hunt told Parliament that the Doctor concerned had been fully trained up to administer the vaccine and then he apologised and said the Doctor hadn't been trained after all and anyway, he was only going on what someone had told Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd who then told Hunt. Greg Hunt then went on to say one of the most ludicrous and embarrassing things it's possible to say for someone who is allegedly and intelligent person worthy of being in the Parliament; he said, "The safeguards that were put in place immediately kicked into action and a nurse on the scene identified the fact that a higher than prescribed amount of the dose was given to two patients.” Someone aught to explain to that moron what “safeguards” mean! Safeguards are put in place to PREVENT this type of thing from happening!

This "mistake" and incompetence is just another example of how years of public sector cuts to vital Government instrumentalities, with the resultant loss of professionally trained personal and the "out sourcing" of Government responsibilities, is completely against the best interests of Australian citizens.

This "mistake" and incompetence is just another example of how years of public sector cuts to vital Government instrumentalities, with the resultant loss of professionally trained personal and the "out sourcing" of Government responsibilities, is completely against the best interests of Australian citizens.

Well yeah, but Australians have elected LNP governments for 20 of the past 25 years. Properly funded, responsible institutions aren't in vogue.

Those effing contractors are at it again, this time, they are hiring doctors who have not been trained in how to administer Covid vaccines!

Healthcare Australia allowed a Doctor to administer the Covid Vaccination without him or her, being trained to do so and what was the Health Minister's first response to this? He did what all the Ministers in this decrepit Government do, say whatever in the hope it will all go away and if that doesn't wash, backtrack and say "I wasn't told" or "I wasn't told that". It seems that this is the extent of Ministerial Responsibility these days, that is learning off by heart "I wasn't told" and "I wasn't told that".

First Greg Hunt told Parliament that the Doctor concerned had been fully trained up to administer the vaccine and then he apologised and said the Doctor hadn't been trained after all and anyway, he was only going on what someone had told Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd who then told Hunt. Greg Hunt then went on to say one of the most ludicrous and embarrassing things it's possible to say for someone who is allegedly and intelligent person worthy of being in the Parliament; he said, "The safeguards that were put in place immediately kicked into action and a nurse on the scene identified the fact that a higher than prescribed amount of the dose was given to two patients.” Someone aught to explain to that moron what “safeguards” mean! Safeguards are put in place to PREVENT this type of thing from happening!

Healthcare Australia Limited got the contract, and it's only two board members are Nick Greiner and Peter Dowding, the guy who replaced Brian Burke so clearly there's nothing to see here.

Healthcare Australia Limited got the contract, and it's only two board members are Nick Greiner and Peter Dowding, the guy who replaced Brian Burke so clearly there's nothing to see here.
I got an email afew weeks ago,asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to be apart of this,from HCA.
In a previous job, I utilised them to procure temporary contract nurses.

Funny thing is, another agency sent me an email,this week, asking the exact samething.

I got an email afew weeks ago,asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to be apart of this,from HCA.
In a previous job, I utilised them to procure temporary contract nurses.

Funny thing is, another agency sent me an email,this week, asking the exact samething.
The thing is, that CQV have also been scrambling to set up hotel quarantine in Melbourne. Obviously not as haphazardly as the security guards in March and April of 2020, but quickly nonetheless. It's an easier said than done task. Errors have been made and compromises have been undertaken.

I'd argue that standing up an organisation at pace is where the risk is, rather than placing blame at private contractors specifically.

That said, the Fed govt did have a longer than average lead in to this task, so it should have been done better than more . Obviously we've had one issue early and hopefully it's one of very few overall.

To be fair, if we can't trust a doctor to do a nurses job we have a much bigger issue.

Even staff at a chemist can give a vaccine and the lowest ranks in the military can do the same.

To be fair, if we can't trust a doctor to do a nurses job we have a much bigger issue.

Even staff at a chemist can give a vaccine and the lowest ranks in the military can do the same.
Problem is though that giving this vaccination is fairly complex and even if you're a doctor, you need to know the process but as you said, if a Doctor rocks up to give you a jab or whatever, you breath a sigh of relief knowing that it's a doctor.

When you're given the vaccination, you must remain in the vaccination clinic for observation for at least 15 minutes after being vaccination and depending on your medical history, you may be asked to wait in the clinic for 30 minutes. This makes you wonder how Community Pharmacies will be able to administer the vaccine given that they have to monitor the patient for 15/30 mins. Who will do the monitoring and where will there be an area set aside for patients to stay at for that time?

The Expression Of Interest info says that community pharmacies:

1.1 Have adequate space for patients waiting to be vaccinated that observes physical distancing requirements, and is sheltered from weather elements
1.2 Have a private and quiet space for consultation with patients and vaccinator (including obtaining informed consent, answering patient questions and assessment of any conditions that may preclude vaccination or require further assessment and administration of vaccine)
1.3 Have a dedicated area (eg clean, and away from direct patient contact and distraction), separate from areas that provide other clinical [pharmacy] services at the same time, where vaccines from multi-dose vials may be drawn up, labelled, and prepared for administration
1.4 Have a dedicated, clean, well-lit space for administration of the vaccine to patients, including a desk and chairs for patients, carers/parents and vaccinator(s)
1.5 Have adequate space for patients to be seated to wait and be observed post- vaccination that observes physical distancing requirements (note this may be the same as the waiting area) and is in accordance with jurisdictional requirements and guidance
1.6 Have safe and directed access in pharmacy areas to allow movement of staff between areas while minimising the risk of workplace incidents (e.g. moving doses from preparation area to patient administration area, accessing refrigerators or cool boxes, etc.)
1.7 Adequate handwashing facilities for staff, and antimicrobial hand sanitisers available. Have visual reminders and cues in place to reduce the risk of errors
1.8 Have a process in place to safely dispose of unused vaccines, in accordance with TGA and other regulatory requirements
1.9 Have adequate sharps disposal bins, appropriate for the volume of patients, and securely placed and spaced to mitigate the risk of needle stick injuries
1.10 Appropriate security provisions to ensure no unauthorised access to vaccine doses
1.11 Have ready access to appropriate emergency equipment for managing anaphylaxis
1.12 Other useful information - Advise if you have access to other emergency equipment, such as oxygen or defibrillator

2.1 Adequate number of appropriately trained staff to ensure clinical safety including:
2.1.1 Vaccinators (COVID-19 trained health worker under the supervision of an Approved Pharmacist and in accordance with state and territory regulations) to prepare and administer vaccines
2.1.2 Team leader (to direct clinic flow)
2.1.3 Clerical staff
2.1.4 First aid staff, additional to vaccinating staff as per jurisdictional requirements
2.1.5 Staff to manage staff/patient/stock safety (if/when required)
2.2 Acknowledge that everyone administering vaccines must have appropriate training and/or qualifications in line with jurisdictional requirements, and have received adequate specific training in COVID-19 vaccination, including regarding the use of multi dose vials
2.3 Have documented procedure for managing and recording training of staff handling vaccine doses

4.1 Have a process in place to vaccinate multiple patients per vial/dose (minimum number of patients to be specified by the Australian Government)

That's quite a list and there is more and just the 1.0 Physical environment requirements would be quite a task for a Community Pharmacy I'd suggest.

On a South Australian note, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, a very large Public Hospital and the only one serving the Western and North Western suburbs of Adelaide, will NOT be vaccinating people - this is astonishing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not defending the doctor as they are clearly incompetent, but there are plenty of things were nurses are far more competent than doctors, and one of those is administering medications.

Not defending the doctor as they are clearly incompetent, but there are plenty of things were nurses are far more competent than doctors, and one of those is administering medications.
The doctor has Ahpra restrictions on their registration and need supervision.....
Clearly this did not happen.Clearly their was no ability for this to occur.

Hear hear

We have years of training for our doctors and nurses. I’m not dismissing we all make mistakes but we can’t blame others for a failing by a doctor to give an injection.

The doctor has Ahpra restrictions on their registration and need supervision.....
Clearly this did not happen.Clearly their was no ability for this to occur.

There would be a procedure, but this wasn't followed properly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back