AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Being a better game is entirely subjective. To those in NSW and QLD, rugby is king and AFL stinks. Doesnt make it a better game.
Also, pump as much money into soccer as you like, I'll never care about it. The preferences are cultural and ingrained historically more than anything.

For some reason this stealing from other codes and trying to own the market is only seen as stealthy and borderline immoral when its the women's league we're talking about. There's never any complaints that the AFL might be trying to steal participation of youngsters with their expansion in the eastern states in the men's league.
I actually had GCS and GWS in as an example and deleted it.
The problem is the examples and analogies all fall down as this situation is unique.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I actually had GCS and GWS in as an example and deleted it.
The problem is the examples and analogies all fall down as this situation is unique.

I'll admit that it's not entirely the same situation. I just think that when it comes to participation in the Eastern States, everyone is more than happy to see Aussie rules make up ground on the other codes but when it comes to the women it's all, wont somebody think of the soccer/netball/whatever.

Oh how we chuckled when our favourite code stole Israel Folau and Karmichael Hunt.

I'll admit that it's not entirely the same situation. I just think that when it comes to participation in the Eastern States, everyone is more than happy to see Aussie rules make up ground on the other codes but when it comes to the women it's all, wont somebody think of the soccer/netball/whatever.
Well, I have been one of the bigger contributors to footy making up ground in the state, and I'm also the one saying won't somebody think of the other sports.

The cultural monolith that is footy isn't necessarily the best model, it also takes down diversity and opportunity.

The amount of 4th grade footy players that could be great rugby or soccer players etc. but chose the cultural norm is a decent comparison, or even those who weren't any good at footy, so gave up on sport as there were few to none other easily accessible options.

Well, I have been one of the bigger contributors to footy making up ground in the state, and I'm also the one saying won't somebody think of the other sports.

The cultural monolith that is footy isn't necessarily the best model, it also takes down diversity and opportunity.

The amount of 4th grade footy players that could be great rugby or soccer players etc. but chose the cultural norm is a decent comparison, or even those who weren't any good at footy, so gave up on sport as there were few to none other easily accessible options.

International Netball has had 15 world cups and Australia has won 11 and come 2nd the other four times. If that sport can't survive losing a few players to a rival sport there is something very wrong.

I'm not saying stealing players from other codes is ok but Netball should be in a much, much stronger position than just about every other sport.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
International Netball has had 15 world cups and Australia has won 11 and come 2nd the other four times. If that sport can't survive losing a few players to a rival sport there is something very wrong.

I'm not saying stealing players from other codes is ok but Netball should be in a much, much stronger position than just about every other sport.

They don't have the money/media/govt support/promotion/sponsor that the AFL machine does. There's 6 hours of AWFL on FTA TV each weekend. Netball has never got that sort of coverage. The AWFL can continue to fund a terrible loss making product. Netball Australia struggles to fund a good product.

They don't have the money/media/govt support/promotion/sponsor that the AFL machine does. There's 6 hours of AWFL on FTA TV each weekend. Netball has never got that sort of coverage. The AWFL can continue to fund a terrible loss making product. Netball Australia struggles to fund a good product.

So is the problem AFLW? 11 time world champions, high participation rates, just about a moratorium on other sports for girls in schools. They have had FTA coverage for years on the ABC and 10 I believe. (Not 6 hours a week granted). Truly a national sport unlike Aussie Rules.

Sounds like they were ripe for the picking

As I said I don’t necessarily agree with the poaching of athletes from other sports but in reality Aussie rules is late to the party.

Signed a coverage deal with Foxtel/Kayo a few weeks ago too.

This is interesting and will help with player retention.

Netball Australia interim CEO, Ron Steiner, said the new deal will allow the financial security for the league to pay elite player salaries for the first time, in an effort to allow member organisations and clubs the opportunity to support and promote grassroots netball with more investment.

Netball is the last sport you should be worried about.

Irish dancing and shot putters is where the issues are.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So is the problem AFLW? 11 time world champions, high participation rates, just about a moratorium on other sports for girls in schools. They have had FTA coverage for years on the ABC and 10 I believe. (Not 6 hours a week granted). Truly a national sport unlike Aussie Rules.
Yet despite that, they're still heavily impacted by the AFL decided to invent women's sport a few years ago.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Signed a coverage deal with Foxtel/Kayo a few weeks ago too.

This is interesting and will help with player retention.

Netball Australia interim CEO, Ron Steiner, said the new deal will allow the financial security for the league to pay elite player salaries for the first time, in an effort to allow member organisations and clubs the opportunity to support and promote grassroots netball with more investment.

Netball is the last sport you should be worried about.

Irish dancing and shot putters is where the issues are.
My concern is with cabre tossing quite frankly. Grim days ahead!

AFLW having its first Indigenous Round this week. Kevin Sheedy has been busy.

The Crows finally get the chance to highlight all the good work they've done in conjunction with the NT and all the indigenous players on their roster.

CreativeRapidClingfish-size_restricted.gif

Also the NRL did bring a team to SA.

The mighty Rams.

They f’ed off pretty quickly with their tails between their legs.
Poor timing imo, they happened to join the NRL the same time that Port joined the AFL and the Crows won the flag. You're not recruiting fans from the top sport in the state when exciting things are happening for both sides.

Poor timing imo, they happened to join the NRL the same time that Port joined the AFL and the Crows won the flag. You're not recruiting fans from the top sport in the state when exciting things are happening for both sides.
Timing definitely was shithouse, but they were part of Murdoch's BS Super League trojan horse not the ARL driving the expansion, like they did in 1992/93 planning for Perth, Auckland, North Queensland and South Queensland to join the comp in 1995, which they did that season to make a 20 team comp.

But with Winfield's sponsorship / naming rights coming to an end when their contract finished in 1995, after the feds passed the tobacco advertising prohibition legislation when the ARL contemplated expansion, Arko and Qualey stupidly asked News Ltd for the same tobacco premium sponsorship funding and let them know Packer was only paying about 1/3rd or 1/4 for annual TV rights for what Winfield was paying for annual sponsorship. News Ltd then pounced and the rest is history.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
If the Super League's business model for the Adelaide Rams relied on them converting Aussie Rules fans to League it's no wonder they failed.

If the Super League's business model for the Adelaide Rams relied on them converting Aussie Rules fans to League it's no wonder they failed.

From what I can remember at the time, interest was definitely building in the casual fan base before they pulled the plug. It felt more that the corporate dollar here in SA didn't buy in.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Forcing clubs to stop streaming trial matches on their websites because an AFLW game is on.

:think:

That's not for real, is it?

Yes, I was watching Eagles vs Freo after our match and they had to stop the webcast about 7 minutes into the last quarter. And it wasn't even for the Dockers vs Brisbane AFLW game - that didn't start for more than an hour after the AFL game :think:

Wow.

Somewhere (everywhere), someone (a lot of people), will still claim it isn't being very aggressively pushed.

Was it the AFL who made the clubs cut their stream or was it 7/Foxtel not wanting their AFLW lunch cut?

Back