Unofficial Preview West Coast v Fremantle FEB 27th: Scratch Match **LIVE STREAM SAT 27th FEB 10am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was also surprised how high and floaty some of his most of the teams kicks were.

Actually I thought our kicking as a collective was pretty sh1t today, with the exception of Ryan ....... and FFS how many times in that third quarter did Gaff fluff his kicks .

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Whole thing was meh.
Having to watch it through the website rather than through some kind of streaming service like YouTube.
No sound for the start.
10am start meant the sun was on the wrong side of the ground for the camera.
We played like s**t.
Dockers looked semi decent.
Cutting the stream for the AWFL. Seriously?

Meh!

Sat down with a few beers and a cheeseboard and read the last 10 pages of this thread after watching the first 2.5 quarters of the game.

What I learnt:

1: Fold the club
2: We are spoon favourites
3: Our youngsters are shite
4: Fold the club
5: Witherden is already a failed trade and should be delisted
6: Peter Bell is a genius
7: The sky is falling
8: Fold the club

In all seriousness 🐓🔥 have a good young midfield unit and should definitely improve and no longer appear to be the pushover they were under Lyon. Conditions were a bit average and looked to be shaking off a few cobwebs. For those getting worked up about our young players: we are a club currently in a premiership window, we should have very few promising young players as experience goes a long way to building a premiership squad. If you wanna be all about da youf, probably best you follow a loser club like St Kilda or Carlton.

PS: Fold the club

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
How come we have 'rust' and Freo don't? (would've thought Cockburn salty air was conducive to rust?). Did we train less? What makes us rusty? Or more rusty than other teams?

When a team 'wants it more' does that mean we want it less? It's like they get together pre-game and discuss how much they want it.."nah, after all the training we've just done, I'm not really in the mood today, I don't really want it that much?"

Going by the melts the club membership is in rapid decline..

The preseason Scratchie thread is like deja vu, and the Scratchie games are like groundhog day!

Graham's comments seemed to confirm the crappiness of general play, and how out of tune they were, and how much needed to be done, quickly...which just made it all the more crappier?

Anyway, enough of my salty banter, we all know that this is US every preseason Scratchie, and how the real team arrives by round 1 (fortunately), and even by the last Scratchie we tend to shape up.

The only concern is that at this stage it apparently looks like the 'same old-same old' re defence, middle and forward tactics and delivery, but here's hoping they're saving the new/good stuff for round 1>>..? Will go easy on new players and players in new positions, give them a bit more time to settle.

Last edited:

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Sat down with a few beers and a cheeseboard and read the last 10 pages of this thread after watching the first 2.5 quarters of the game.

What I learnt:

1: Fold the club
2: We are spoon favourites
3: Our youngsters are sh*te
4: Fold the club
5: Witherden is already a failed trade and should be delisted
6: Peter Bell is a genius
7: The sky is falling
8: Fold the club

In all seriousness 🐓🔥 have a good young midfield unit and should definitely improve and no longer appear to be the pushover they were under Lyon. Conditions were a bit average and looked to be shaking off a few cobwebs. For those getting worked up about our young players: we are a club currently in a premiership window, we should have very few promising young players as experience goes a long way to building a premiership squad. If you wanna be all about da youf, probably best you follow a loser club like St Kilda or Carlton.

PS: Fold the club

Agree with most of your post except the bolded part.

We haven't had the best picks due to making finals 7 years in a row, but we have also made some bad draft choices and the Tim Kelly trade cost significant draft capital.

On top of that, other than Oscar and Liam Ryan, other players we have drafted since 2015 haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

Best – Fremantle: Walters, Brayshaw, Fyfe, Young, Serong.

West Coast Eagles: Rotham, Duggan, Shuey, Sheed, Barrass, Witherden.

But this board said no :shoutyoldman:

Agree with most of your post except the bolded part.

We haven't had the best picks due to making finals 7 years in a row, but we have also made some bad draft choices and the Tim Kelly trade cost significant draft capital.

On top of that, other than Oscar and Liam Ryan, other players we have drafted since 2015 haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

Yeah I don't entirely disagree with you, but I think its hard to be a genuine premiership contender and have 1st round picks in the late teens and after and be expected to nail every draft, and hindsight makes every campaigner an expert (with exceptions regarding Ainsworth vs Constable/Worpel). Over the past decade or so our midfield drafting has been quite poor, but our KPP stocks are enviable.

It's one practice match missing probably our best 5 players, just relax people.

On the topic of the gameplan and slow ball movement being an issue I agree to an extent though. Hurn and Barrass are definitely the worst offenders in this regard.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

I read that and have to say I was a bit surprised.

Even in he post match interview Graham seemed to suggest coaches didn't feel that Withers was one of the best on either.

What did he actually do in order to get mentioned as one of the best on ground? Honestly, it felt like every time he had ball in hand it led to a turnover.

Witherden was solid, and one of the few senior players who played 4 quarters so od have him I'm our best as well.

I think his "bad game" comes down to nuffies on here thinking he can laser a 60m pass onto someone's chest with every kick under pressure in the backline.

He coughed a couple up, and a couple more to a contest were marked by Cockburn, but the rest of his game was fine.

I'm actually impressed with how much of an accumulator he is, that was on show today. Certainly can find the footy, wouldve had 20+ disposals easily.

He also cost us next to nothing and is a young player on the rise.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I don't entirely disagree with you, but I think its hard to be a genuine premiership contender and have 1st round picks in the late teens and after and be expected to nail every draft, and hindsight makes every campaigner an expert (with exceptions regarding Ainsworth vs Constable/Worpel). Over the past decade or so our midfield drafting has been quite poor, but our KPP stocks are enviable.

It's one practice match missing probably our best 5 players, just relax people.

On the topic of the gameplan and slow ball movement being an issue I agree to an extent though. Hurn and Barrass are definitely the worst offenders in this regard.

I'm worried less about the game plan. I was not expecting Simmo to make big changes to it in the off-season, and Freo were one of the best defensive teams in the comp in 2020. They really did well in stifling oppo ball movement. We had quite a few out.

How come we have 'rust' and Freo don't? (would've though Cockburn salty air was conducive to rust?). Did we train less? What makes us rusty? Or more rusty than other teams?

Just on this point, the players have a mandatory minimum break after finishing the season and coming back to training, meaning that if you make the finals you can theoretacally be behind another team that didn't by at least a fortnight in your preparation. Legitimately something to consider.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Agree that Rotham was probably our best. Looked good did young Joshy.

I don't understand how we can look so disorderly in Defence. Hurn, shep, gov, Barrass are probably 4 of our top 12 players. There 's plenty of experience and they have 50+ gamers under them.

It's not like watching a well oiled machine succumb to extreme pressure. We look panicked and structureless from the get go.

I actually liked Slippy' s game the best of the younger, senior cohort. Didn't really stuff anything up which was a cut above duggan and Cole imo.

Rotham not bad either.

Even though the live stream had to end I assume they'd have kept filming and commentating on the rest of the match to release to fans shortly?

I envisage Gossage immediately dropping his mic and heading directly to the snackbar and wolfing down 3 sausage rolls without taking a single breath.

I've seen some people say we don't have a list spot for Waterman given he's a forward now, then I remember Cripps picking up one clean ball since the GF, Petch getting a 3 year extension out of nowhere, and Ah Chee playing nearly every game last year up forward despite playing his best WAFL footy in the middle. That's even before we mention Willie and Venables.

Yeah, no spot indeed.

On the plus side I like Jones and hope he gets a good run in that forward-mid role to start the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back