Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just some observations :

- Dow had a great game, but his defensive running is still a concern. Saints will look to expose this so it'll be something to watch for. Didn't drop his head when he got run down in the first, backed his strengths, and disposal was good. If he keeps that up the confidence and results will come.

- Murph's proneness to snapping head height will frustrate at times but he's going to set up a lot of goals this year. Will add class and composure we've been lacking.

- Williams and Saad will be top 5 BnF. Looked a class above most of our guys, and both cover the ground so well. Turnovers will improve as they gel with our players.

- In limited game time, Stocker, Gibbons and LOB impressed as much as the could have.

- Jack and Cuningham lacked any impact and signs of improvement.

- From a team perspective most impressed with our handpassing, vision and execution looked elite.

Plow Jones SPS
Saad Weiters Doc
Walsh Williams Setters
Murph Cas Martin
Fish Harry ??
Pitt Cripps Williams

INTERCHANGE
Willo (back/wing)
Ed (mid)
???
???
I think you've added Williams twice in there :p

For the doubled up Zilliams in the midfield i'd add in Dow, and for the 3 spots you've left out I'd personally have Betts, Gibbons and Gov.

I think pretty much everyone's b22 is very similar, but we all seem to be disagreeing about our small forward line up. We will only be able to play 2 out of Gibbons, Cunners, Betts, Fog and Newnes, and each have their own opinions on who they prefer.

What is the actual rule? Is it as simple as the man on the mark cant move side to side? If so what is actually stopping someone standing just behind the mark and moving side to side
Giving up 2 defenders and being inside the protected zone could also result in 50. Man on the mark just cannot move until play on is called, including moving backwards.

Geez SPS gets a rough wrap compared to guys like Martin....I want more from Martin
I know, right?

You’d think it was SPS who was the highest paid player at the club, not the other way around.

That said, it’s Dow who you should compare him too. There are posters who have been bitching about Samo for years who love Dow and think he’s great. They were literally drafted as midfielders a year apart. Dow might become great, but Samo has been twice the footy player Dow has been so far.

You could just not man the mark and instead stand half a metre behind the mark and be allowed freedom of movement unless the protected zone somehow includes an area behind the mark.

This is what I was expecting, and a few of our players did try it. Umpires solution seems to be just assuming that said player has decided to concede a few metres and call stand anyway.

Ed Curnow gave away a 50m penalty when he tried standing 5m forward of the mark and then moving sideways. Ump blew the whistle, Ed argued for a bit, pointing and clearly indicating he was nowhere near the mark. Ump didn't care.

Technically, the rule is that when the umpire calls stand the player is then locked in place, not that there is an imaginary spot on the ground that the player has to stand on. If the player doesn't make enough effort to get to the actual point of the mark that seems to be on them, umpires won't be running in and telling them to shuffle forward 2m.

This is what I was expecting, and a few of our players did try it. Umpires solution seems to be just assuming that said player has decided to concede a few metres and call stand anyway.

Ed Curnow gave away a 50m penalty when he tried standing 5m forward of the mark and then moving sideways. Ump blew the whistle, Ed argued for a bit, pointing and clearly indicating he was nowhere near the mark. Ump didn't care.

Technically, the rule is that when the umpire calls stand the player is then locked in place, not that there is an imaginary spot on the ground that the player has to stand on. If the player doesn't make enough effort to get to the actual point of the mark that seems to be on them, umpires won't be running in and telling them to shuffle forward 2m.
What about when player marks around fifty and decides to take a shot on goal. A meter either could be the difference between a goal or a point so actual point of mark becomes important.

What about when player marks around fifty and decides to take a shot on goal. A meter either could be the difference between a goal or a point so actual point of mark becomes important.

Think the umpire comes in to set the mark then, also because they need to get the kicker on the right line. General play though, they'll just call stand when they feel the player on the mark is as close as they're going to get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you've added Williams twice in there :p

For the doubled up Zilliams in the midfield i'd add in Dow, and for the 3 spots you've left out I'd personally have Betts, Gibbons and Gov.

I think pretty much everyone's b22 is very similar, but we all seem to be disagreeing about our small forward line up. We will only be able to play 2 out of Gibbons, Cunners, Betts, Fog and Newnes, and each have their own opinions on who they prefer.
Cheers. Edited.

yep. The first 18 pick themselves. Quite a few options for our last 4.

Should be an interesting game on Thursday, looking forward to how we shape up. As poor as North are atm, the Saints put them to the sword.
Fair chance we wont go in with as strong a side as we did v Bumbers...... Gotta have a look at a few more.
Philps, Parks, Carroll more time for LOB, Stocker.
I would be resting H , Crippa , Jones and Walshy to name just four. They have nothing to prove and look ready to go.

Last edited:
Fair chance we wont go in with as strong a side as we did v Bumbers...... Gotta have a look at a few more.
Phillps, Parks, Carroll more tme for LOB, Stocker.
I would be resting H , Crippa , Jones and Walshy to name just four. They have nothing to prove and look ready to go.

doubt it. We will field as close to the round one side as we can.

doubt it. We will field as close to the round one side as we can.
Possibly ,but we pretty well went that way last week..... will be interesting.

Reserves also are not playing till Friday at this stage I have been told by a kid who is on our list.

Another game for Saad and Williams to help gel with the group.
Also Fogarty.
If Eddie and Gov right they need to play.

Kennedy ? Levi could all do with a game if fit.

I know, right?

You’d think it was SPS who was the highest paid player at the club, not the other way around.

That said, it’s Dow who you should compare him too. There are posters who have been bitching about Samo for years who love Dow and think he’s great. They were literally drafted as midfielders a year apart. Dow might become great, but Samo has been twice the footy player Dow has been so far.
Considering Dow's prior output that isn't much of a wrap.

Phillps, Parks, Carroll more tme for LOB, Stocker.
Every club will be fielding as close as they can to a full strength team this week. Why would we do something different and waste the last ‘real’ hit out we have before Rd 1?

Also Philp is injured.

Was surprised to see that Setters had most touches in this game with 24.
Thought he was good, but thought Dow and Walsh would have had more. No mention of how many those 2 had though.
14 players with 15 or more touches was good though.
Did CD release stats of the games? Apologies if I've missed it. Up to pg 56..

Also he might not have hit the scoreboard himself but gave off at least 2 I can remember with good ground ball gathers and a quick handball to the player going past for goals, as others have said it is his 1st 2nd and 3rd efforts that does the damage to opposition defences as well as always halving marking contests some times with smart tap downs to players in space. It’s going to be hard picking our forward set up when everyone is up and going.

All I saw was Jack getting out marked a hell of a lot and not marking many of his own, he needs to be way better than he was

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All I saw was Jack getting out marked a hell of a lot and not marking many of his own, he needs to be way better than he was

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He was playing as the second tall, a role which he will rarely if ever play. He presented as a marking target at every opportunity and followed up brilliantly, including direct involvement in scoring opportunities. He is ahead of Kennedy and Gov for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back