Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

only 3 more years to go for consistently in decline Rory Sloane! woo hoo!

Simon Madden also kicked 575 goals😳
Sure, but once Justin moved to Carlton he was more known as a ruckman than a forward. His wiki even says as such.

He also played a lot of games... so just over 1 goal per game.

Or are you suggesting he was more known as key forward?

Watched some footage on you tube from the SANFL trial Q3. Berry, Pedlar, Thilthorpe stand out as a class above. Newchurch showed a few tricks as well.

If Fog isn't doing enough, can we play Tex, Frampton/Berg and Thilthorpe in the same forward line?
Yes. Play Walker up the ground, Berg or Frampton at CHF and Thilthorpe at FF. Need speedy players around them to lock it in.

Why can't we play Fog one out in the goal square, what's stopping us from saying don't leave the forward 50.
We tend to try to wedge players into our beliefs about crows football and how we think it should be.

Rather than looking at the skill sets at our disposal and adapting crows football to exploit the resources we have.

Writing off players after less than 3 years in the system doesn’t constitute them as a bust outside of BigFooty world, where you’re either a star or spud after a couple of games
Players like Dow and Rayner drafted 2 years before Jones looking to have breakout years. Dangerfield didn't set the world on fire in his first couple of seasons. It's a big step up to AFL and some kids can do it from the start. For most it takes awhile. Jones has the talent and he'll make it.

So many posters here saying we should have kept Gallucci on. I doubt that he will ever play another AFL game. If he does good luck to him though.

But how can you say that club should have stuck with Gallucci and write Jones off? Just an opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I hate to say it powaa are likely flag favourite with Richmond and Geelong. The match against Richmond round 18 last year and the 2 games against powaa should hold us in good stead as they are the 2 best teams in it. Better to know where you stand than be under false illusions.
Absolutely right. We are still in preseason mode with the coaches trying things out and the reality is we finished last last year and port finished minor premiers. The board was all on the high after the internal trial last week and now it is all doom and gloom apparently.

I am looking for improvement in the younger players and a good game plan. Our season wont be judged by a scratch game against one of the flag favorites. But i agree that fog and jones need to ask themselves if they really want it as it could be wasted careers if tgey dont realise soon what it takes to be effective consistently at this level. And if i am honest i have held far higher aspirations for fogarty than jones as fogarty could be anything if he only just grabbed the bit between the horns and used his talent

More like this board is mostly made up of people who are 40+ in age and can’t wrap their head around why a player like Fog won’t make it in the modern game.
#stuckinthepast

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm forty plus and know why and offended at this statement

Well a lot of our young forwards have mentioned Lynch as the one they’re learning most from this off season, clearly he’s a very good leader.

Bit of difference between the training track and on-field during a game. What you're talking about speaks more to his coaching credentials. Not saying he isn't a good onfield leader, just that off-season learnings aren't relevant.

Yup, and Godden was his midfield coach last year.

And will likely be his coach for R1, and they don't get along.

Why we kept that muppet around is a mystery. Bigger pool of available talent due to covid cost cutting and we settle on a known AFL level failure to coach half our list each weekend. Would surely have been better taking a punt on less experience for higher quality.

Here is a depressing thought - on the back of a full preseason, and with no injuries, this is as good as Sloane gets.
Once he gets a bit more banged up, he won't get within 25m of any opponents.

Add to that the certainty of Tex deteriorating game by game and Talia being rushed back underdone because we've lost a couple of games.

Short sighted and horrendous decision.

In terms of form, he doesn't deserve to be picked.

In terms of a comparison with his replacement as a (75% mid/25% forward), I don't think we lose anything with Sloane out and Schoenberg in the guts.

In terms of a comparison with his replacement as a 25% mid, 75% forward, I don't think we lose anything with Sloane out and Berry/Pedlar in.

In terms of right now, we are better without him.

In terms of the future, he's not part of it. End of story.

He is being picked purely on his reputation and for leadership, even if selecting him actually makes us worse now and holds back the future.

Making him Captain, means you basically have to pick him. It's a really poor decision.

Culturally, this year's AFC is no different than previous years. Nicks won't be an agent of change, he will have been the most aligned applicant. He was selected by Roo, Chapman and Fagan, how far from the norm would you exoect he could be? There's plenty of evidence already, Seedsman in at centre bounces again while there's talented kids not getting a crack, and in a trial game, is all the evidence required. Don Pyke v2.0, which is actually Neil Craig v3.0.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back